Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Jumpers for Goalposts!

There seemed to be an ongoing theme throughout my childhood; every time I was running out the door to play, my Mother would meet me holding out a sweater. Even in the summer heat, (in Northern England - Ha!) she would be there with something warm to wear. It wasn't just me either. All of my friends had Mothers with the same agenda, only they didn't realise we had a different one...

Jumpers for Goalposts!

Every football loving child needs them and woe betide the first to go home and take one side of the goal, even more so if it was your ball.

Knowing that Sol's Dad (Ned) is an ardent England supporter, it would have been rude not to make Sol an England jumper. If they are anything like our family then you are dressed in your team's kit before you can walk. So Hey Presto!

I offset the St. George's cross to the left to make it a bit more visually interesting. Of course, you good people know me by now, so you know that I couldn't just leave it at that. I embroidered the England badge onto a piece of felt. If you think I swore embroidering elephants onto flying suits, then be in no doubt that the air was blue when making this. Lions and tudor roses are not the easiest things to make and my embroidery is ropey at best. To see the real thing, scroll down in my sidebar and you can see what the badge really should look like.

I was planning to make this for Sol to fit during the World Cup this summer, but decided that a bigger one would make more sense. In the end I went for a 24" chest so he can get a lot more wear out of it. Still, a football shirt is never complete at just that, so I made his name to go on the back...









I used a punch tool to make it (Purrfect Punch in the US - Webster's
Punch in the UK). It's quite time consuming, but makes an interesting texture. The thread can be quite difficult to find these days so I separate DK yarn and use the individual strands. It seems to do the job quite well. I usually don't like to put childrens' names on their clothing, especially in this day and age, but since there is an England footballer called Sol Campbell I decided it was OK. I used his squad number too.

I was really, really pleased with this one, so here's one last look at it. I wrote the pattern myself and will put it up over the next few days. I may even venture into men's sizes for it, but is currently only done for babies and small children.


p.s. I know I said, I'd do a post on design - I haven't forgotten, it's coming. The pattern for D.M.B.L.B.I.T? is also on the way. I just have to write the other sizes first.

19 Comments:

At 12:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a fabulous sweater!! You really did a great job. I love all the details that make it one of a kind.

 
At 12:25 pm, Blogger T said...

I am, as ever, gobsmacked. You could make a mint selling these, they'd go like hotcakes! Well done.

When are you going to design something for knitty or magknits? :)

 
At 1:34 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

WOW Rain....that is BRILLIANT! The badge really looks professionally done and the punched name and number on the back is fantastic! You really outdid yourself on the detail! Cograts!!!

Nanatoo is right, you could make a mint selling those.

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Fantastic jumper and so original. I love the idea of using the punch tool for the name and I think you're doing yourself down in your comment about the embroidery. Looks fine to me. Lucky Sol!

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Superb! The embroidery looks fine and dandy from here too. I think this would be a great pattern to submit to Magknits for a summer issue, given the footballing mayhem due in a few months' time :-)

 
At 9:45 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

That looks great! You pay such attention to the details and make them perfect! The embroidery is so cool.

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

I love the embroidery you did! It looks so good.
You really should submit something to Magknits or Knitty.
I started decreasing on my newest hat last night. I hope to have it finished and the pattern posted by the end of next week.

 
At 4:12 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

You are really good! I had to read the post twice just to make sure this wasn't bought in a department store! Awesome job!!

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger aija said...

The offset is awesome, and the embroidery! I totally didn't think you made that yourself... Way to go! :)

 
At 2:05 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

Absolutely fantastic!

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Very nice! What a great sweater!! It looks fantastic with the name and number on the back.

 
At 5:37 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

That is totally awesome! The name looks great! WOW! He will love it!

 
At 6:08 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks follks, you lot are so kind and I really do appreciate your comments.

Nanatoo + StringBean, I keep saying I'll design something for one of them. Watch this space, or more watch their space. It just depends if they like what I've been secretly working on.

Knityoga, until it looks like the original I can never be happy. I just get paranoid about it looking naff.

Catherine, as long a you use a tight weave fabric for it then it doesn't come out, don't know how or why. The needle in the pic is just a hand one. I do have a battery operated one that someone gave to me but I don't fancy my chances with it. I'd end up punching my hand.

 
At 6:24 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Amazing, really amazing! I once made my brother-in-law a scarf in Chelsea's colors, but I never thought to attempt something as crazy as a football-themed sweater (crazy in a good, creative way, I mean :).

I just finished a project I'm pretty ambivalent about, so your post gave me a great sense of inspiration for the day!

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Adorable. I'm so jealous of your mad embroidery skillz. You just rule! Oh, your yarn should be here any day now! I had too much caffine today, does it show?

 
At 8:27 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Sarah, you rock! Big time! Goes off to plot knitterly goodness.

 
At 3:54 am, Blogger Sharon J said...

Oh my god! That's awesome! You're so damned clever! What's more to say, apart from that you ought to start selling your designs. You're a natural. ~Sharon

 
At 11:40 am, Blogger Dina said...

Love the idea using the Purrfect Punch for the back ... I bet this would be Sol's favourite jumper!

 
At 1:32 am, Blogger Heather said...

Aww...the baby sweaters you've been making lately are awesome! This sweater is so cute, I love it! The embroidery looks amazing, I don't think I would have the patience for all of that detail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home