Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Monday, February 13, 2006

Awaiting the results

One of the most tense parts of the Olympics for the competitors is waiting at the bottom of the slope for their time or marks from the judges. Not unlike the skiing, my knitting plan has been on a slippery slope downhill, much of what I originally had in mind went quickly out the window as the days have progressed.

I had one of those tense moments when I pulled the knitting off the needles (onto a thread) to check the shape and fitting. My results can be see on the progress bar down on the right.

So far it's been a bit of a leap of faith with doubts what it would look like. I must admit I was pleased with the results, although surprised would be a better description.

On the floor the bust shaping looked ok. I'd considered short rows, but wasn't convinced by them.







I eventually went with m1, k1, m1 on the right side rows.








I then tied it around me and pinned it down to get a look at how it would fit when worn. The gap will be filled with a wide 2x2 rib.

I haven't put in a picture of the back as there isn't really that much to see. I'm not entirely happy with it and think it could do with better shaping coming into the small of my back, but I'll be able to see how it hangs properly once I've got the shoulders in. If needs be I'll rip a few inches from the bottom and put some tighter decreases in.

I've not made any decisions on the neck shaping yet so it's time to sit and make a few more calculations for the neck and shoulder shaping. I still don't know how the bottom is going to work, but I'm consulting my Knitting Coach (my Mum) for possible solutions. That's something I'm going to worry about later.

There have been a few serious crashes in the skiing today and I hope the injuries haven't been too serious and that recovery will be swift. If you're also competing (knitting not skiing) I hope your item is going well and that there hasn't been too much ripping happening.

13 Comments:

At 4:48 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

It looks fantastic! I'm often surprised by the outcome of a pattern. It's amazing what happens when a knitter knits the well written pattern exactly as it is written and it turns into "something" ... I love that about knitting! :)

 
At 5:41 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That's looking impressively well fitting. Like I said, I must lie on the floor and get drawing!!! ;-)

 
At 6:00 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

It's looking great so far, mucho progress :-)

Just been looking at your "to knit" list, have bookmarked the circular shrug and Judy Jetson cardi, they look great, cheers for the links.

 
At 6:23 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

It looks pretty cool. I'm jealous at your fast work :)

 
At 6:27 pm, Blogger Minnieknits said...

Gosh, I'm intrigued to see where you go with this re:neck and shoulder shaping - I have a few ideas for it so am curious to see which way you jump - can't wait for the next instalment!

 
At 6:43 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Looking good!

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Your sweater is looking great. It amazes me how you are creating this right out of your head. And the shaping looks great. Can't wait to see more progress.

 
At 2:30 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

I love, love, love the organic, "flow from my needles" kind of knitting. I must learn how to do this.

You're impressive!

 
At 2:28 am, Blogger knitfriendly said...

You are a super speed knitter. Great job so far! Can't wait to see your future progress.

 
At 10:31 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks, I'll get there eventually.

 
At 2:10 am, Blogger Dina said...

You're finally knitting something for yourself! It's lookin' good. Hmmm, I'll have try your "floor" method for fashioning a pattern ... hmm, but if I'm on the floor wouldn't that make my bum appear wider? Maybe I should draw it on the wall?

 
At 5:49 pm, Blogger Stacey said...

I can't wait to see the finished cardigan, it looks great so far :)

 
At 5:10 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, thank you so much for visiting my blog and advising me on my sleeve. I can not wait to see the end result of your sweater here. Also checked out the other items you have done as well and wished you could come up with an ADULT version of the "Baby UGGS". Wouldn't that be great!Visit as often as you'd like and I'll do the same.Great stuff!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home