Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Can you tell what it is yet?

Before you get excited, I didn't knit that, well I did, but not that particular one. I was just curious to see what you thought about it. If you were casually flicking through 'Baby Bloom' by Erika Knight, what would you think it was? I never gave it a second thought when I added it to the four possible wrap-overs / boleros for my raspberry yarn. It was a clear winner, but proving how much attention I pay to patterns, I'd finished the back and was onto the fronts before I realised it wasn't a cardigan. Even the title called it Silky Wrap Sweater but the penny still didn't drop. I considered adapting it or adding loops and buttons to the sides so it could fasten like a cardigan but in the end stuck with the pattern. Hmm, remember those Dime Bar adverts? - That's me, that is.

In all fairness it probably doesn't matter as by the time it fits, Scarlett should be able to dress herself, or at least she shouldn't be as difficult to dress as a tiny one. I worked the biggest size and used a size bigger needles and it came out a 24" chest overall. That sounds like a carefully considered decision but has more to do with me preferring to knit on my shiny size 10s (similar to addi's). I also think it makes more sense to make the most of the yarn. I had a ball extra to the requirements and as I'm not likely to get this yarn again, I wanted to use it all in the one project rather than leave one over with nothing else in mind for it.

Down to the knitty gritty - my version...

I used the raspberry I bought the other week. I've discovered it's Sirdar Silky Look (93% acrylic, 7% nylon) and it took just under 250g. Mine was seconds sold anonymously and I was baffled why as I couldn't find anything wrong with it, it was dyed and plied evenly with no knots. I swatched it and thought it was 4ply but have since discovered it's sold as DK. I think that might be issue with it, but I'm not complaining as I don't often knit with such nice yarn.

I tried to embroider it like the pattern shows, but as my yarn was slightly textured it didn't look quite right. It has a silver strand running through it, so I might buy something silver later on to do it with, it depends whether I have the time, patience or inclination. My only whinge about the pattern (besides it masquerading as something it isn't) is the picot edge, both on the cuffs and neck, it has a tendency to curl and took a bit of creative sewing to make it sit a bit flatter. I'm hoping it will behave properly once it's been washed and pressed.

13 Comments:

At 9:13 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

I think the little wrap sweater is adorable. I guess it would be a bit fiddly to put on, but the cuteness makes it worth it.

 
At 11:09 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

And they do look so great in them. 24"? She'll be old enough to cooperate by then, right? That should make it easier.

 
At 1:22 am, Blogger Samantha said...

Very pretty!!!

Thanks for the suggestions and comment on my blog! I appreciate it. :)

 
At 2:52 am, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I love the color. Is it as rosy in real life as in the picture? The pattern is adorable. Great job!

 
At 1:53 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

I love it! I think it's a cute little wrap sweater. I love the color and the way it shimmers.

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks ladies. I loved working with this yarn, it's nice for something to be a bit more elegant than plain acrylic.

Knitfriendly - It's like the photo of it in the ball. There's a bit too much flash on the finished photo making it look lighter than it really is.

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

I'd have made exactly the same boo-boo because, even if you turn it upside down and view it whilst sucking your thumb, it still looks like a wrap! I'm sure Scarlett will look lovely it in once she's a bit bigger, though :) ~Sharon

 
At 8:14 pm, Blogger dottyspots said...

That's a wonderful sweater - what sizes does it go up to (I'd be tempted to buy the book if the rest of the patterns are so lovely).

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thank you.

Dotty, the size for that sweater is up to 23" chest. This particular one is in 4 ply, but you could use DK and go up a few needle sizes to get a bigger size.

You can see the rest of the patterns in the book at http://www.thewoolshack.com/books.htm?action=superdetail&ID=1111

It's called Knitting for Two in the US and Canada, but Baby Bloom in Aus and UK.

 
At 6:48 am, Blogger Unknown said...

I think it is adorable! :) I love the raspberry color you chose, as well!

 
At 2:57 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Aww, how sweet! I love babies in adult type clothes. It cracks me up. But when, pray tell, are you going to make something for yourself again?

 
At 3:16 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Turtlegirl, there is something for me on the needles right now and my knitting olympics piece is for me. I also have yarn on order for 2 more projects which I should get on Saturday. :)

 
At 11:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is a gorgeous sweater, I might have to look that book out. I have exactly that shade of yarn here too!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home