Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Friday, January 27, 2006

Just call me Olga

Being cursed with the shoulders of a Russian shot putter should not give me pretentions of Olympic achievement. Since my kayaking days are long since over I'm running out of events I really could compete in.

Thank goodness for the Knitting Olympics!


Now there's something I can do!

If you haven't heard about this yet (where have you been?) then you can clickety click the button above to go to Stephanie's blog (Yarn Harlot) to find out all about it.

I know I've mentioned in other places that I wasn't going to join this, but I figured that since I'll be watching the Olympics anyway then I may as well have something to show for it at the end. I love watching the skating and I got hooked on the curling at the last one - Go Rhona! I also enjoyed the tea-traying event that got reintroduced, can't remember what it was called, but it basically involved lying head first on a tea tray and throwing yourself down the bobsled track.

Another reason for doing it is to get my cardigan done. Scarlett's birth has set me off in a girly baby knitting frenzy and sometimes I just can't help myself or stop. If I'm not forced to make my own stuff then I'll never get it done.

I'm designing it myself and will be making it out of the same yarn as the Flying Suit. I'm planning a fitted raglan cardigan, with a shawl collar. It will be long length (roughly mid-thigh) with curved fronts. I'm sure there are probably patterns out there similar to what I have in mind but I want it to be just right. I've called it "Does My Bum Look Big In This?" because that's the first thing I'll be asking when I try it on. Having the arse of an elephant on the torso of a midget doesn't help.

Of course there was then the dilemma of which team I was going to knit for. I already know of one act of treason - Shame on you Sharon!

With a button like this...


...how could I resist my home team?

Although Team Angstylvania over at The Anti-Craft put forward an interesting option. Their ethos

"We'd have to care to finish."
- Svetlana Vyaloctova, Team Angstylvania coach

at least gives an excuse for those cutting it fine towards the end.

Being a Blog-ho meant I couldn't help but sign up to the Team Knittyboard blog.

One team I didn't want to join, but think deserve a mention are


Other knitters I know (from my Blogs That Rock list) taking part are

Catherine
Sharon
Cerridwen
Bonnie

so please visit them and cheer them on too.

Of course if you are just too damn lazy for something so energetic...


For more great buttons like this one and the British Team one then visit The Knotty Girls.

5 Comments:

At 12:38 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

You go, Olga!!!! I'm not sure my schedule will permit me to be an athlete, but I sure will be cheering others on. Some of the buttons I've seen are high-larious! and thank you, Rain, for linking to my blog. You are very kind.

 
At 5:47 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Good luck with the "Does My Bum .." cardi!

Had no idea about the SnB issue, how pathetic are that company?! It used to be the likes of Paramount going around waving large vanloads of lawyers at Star Trek websites. Didn't realise it was time for another bunch of nomarks to start a completely pointless campaign. Like they don't have better things to do?!

 
At 2:39 pm, Blogger Bad Amy said...

The buttons - I love them all - how can I possibly decide?! I think Angstylvania qualifies as my home team, it being rumored to be in or near Ohio.

Now get to training - time is short :)

 
At 5:41 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Eek! I don't even want tofathom trying the knitting olypics this year but I do covet those buttons...

Speaking of buttons, I see I'm in your side bar. Hooray!

 
At 4:31 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks!

Sarah, your button has been there for months!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home