Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Monday, December 12, 2005

Infinity

Here's the pattern for the mufflers I've been knitting. The stitch pattern is Open Twisted Rib.

With chunky yarn or thicker on 6.5mm needles (see below for yarn requirements)


Cast on 20 sts, k1 row.
Row 1 (ws) - p1, k1, p1 tbl, k1, *p2, k1, p1 tbl, k1, rep from * to last st, p1.
Row 2 (rs) - k1, p1, k1 tbl, p1, *k1, yfwd, k1, p1, k1 tbl, p1, rep from * to last st, k1.
Row 3 - p1, k1, p1 tbl, k1 * p3, k1, p1 tbl, k1, rep from * to last st, p1.
Row 4 - k1, p1, k1 tbl, p1, *k3, pass 3rd k st over 1st 2, p1, k1 tbl, p1, rep from * to last st, k1.

These 4 rows form pattern, repeat to desired length (22" for muffler).
Cast off purlways.

I've been making them long enough to go around the neck once with a short overlap and buttons to fasten. The idea behind them was that they still keep your neck warm without the bulk or hassle of a long scarf.

Yarn requirements:
I didn't fuss about too much with gauge for this as it was only a scarf, chunky or thicker is required - anything around 10-15 sts/4" will work fine. The green one is in a really thick mystery yarn (somewhere between chunky and big wool), unfortunately I can't be any more specific than that. The red one is in chunky (14 st/4") and took approx. 70 yards, it's 5" wide unblocked and 22" long.

Initially I'd planned on putting the buttons on the underside so they would fasten out of view, but I liked the buttons for mine so much I wanted them to be seen. It would also be a little unwieldy with cold fingers.

More examples

This pattern is provided free for your own non-commercial use. This pattern may not be reproduced online in other locations or in hard copy to be sold or distributed without the permission of the owner (that's me!).

8 Comments:

At 5:41 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Amazing, they're the same pattern? They look so different. Well, insofar as I can't see any holes in the red one but you can in the grey. Thanks for the pattern! I'll give it a go!

 
At 6:59 pm, Blogger Rain said...

They are the same, the darker one has been blocked and the red one hasn't. Normally I wouldn't bother blocking, but I wanted to see what effect it would have on the pattern. The holes aren't huge, the tip of my little finger just fits in.

 
At 10:38 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Whaddya mean? - its winter now ;)

I prefer the unblocked one too, curiosity just got the better of me.

 
At 2:22 am, Blogger Connie said...

Thanks for the pattern - I have some bulky yarn and this will be great!

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Bad Amy said...

I like the lacier (not doubled) one - beauty!

Then again, maybe I eternally hoping for spring weather. Nice work!

BTW you crack me up with your 'bum' sweater worries. It's nice to know I'm not the only one that knits the same item several times over before actual completion. ;o)

 
At 12:27 pm, Blogger Jo at Celtic Memory Yarns said...

Hey Rain, love the muffler and how very courteous of you to share it with the rest of us! Like the sensible idea of one wrap and buttons too - it gets rid of those flapping ends.

How far oop North are you? Lived in Lancashire and Northumberland myself before coming back to Ireland.
Jo
celticmemoryyarns.blogspot.com

 
At 5:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pattern - I'd love to try it, however, coming from the States, I don't know what tbl means - I don't think we use that abbreviation here in knitting patterns. Would you please let me know what that means?
Thank you!

 
At 4:05 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Southern CA here ...

Explanation of tbl:

http://www.knittingonthenet.com/learn/learnktbl.htm

Knit through back loop

 

Post a Comment

<< Home