Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, November 29, 2005

A Sneak Preview

Well, the coat's finished - sort of. I still have all the ends to sew in and the lining to do, but I figured you'd rather have a sneak preview than wait until I have it all done. I may take some time to get it totally finished. I can't get to the craft warehouse for the lining material until next week and then it's how long it will take me to do it. Sewing isn't my forte and I have to get used to a new sewing machine first. I also need some form of fastening for it. I saw some ornate silver fastenings ages ago that I think would look great, but I don't know if I can still get them. Otherwise it might be a duffle style button up, it just depends what I can get. You'll have to excuse the dodgy photos, I used the timer on my camera and looked rather startled in most of them.

This is the back, I pulled it tight around me so you could see the diamond effect. The squares are sewn horizontally/vertically, but they look diagonal. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out so far and am really looking forward to getting it done completely.

I have a few squares left over from when I made it smaller. I'm contemplating putting pockets on the fronts, as I think they are handy, but I don't want to ruin how it looks. I also have enough to make a bag, but it might be overkill to go trotting round with both together.






I was really worried that the hood had turned out too big, but I like it and it was the look I was going for. It looks a lot better than the first hood which literally just fitted around my head and looked a little odd.

8 Comments:

At 8:53 am, Blogger Iris said...

I'm really impressed with your coat. It looks great! :)

I remember my aunt knitting a coat when I was a child (apparently she still wears it now, although it's become too baggy over the years to wear in public), but although I like the look I don't think I'd have the patience to attempt making one. Well done on yours though, it's fab!!

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger Jerry said...

That looks smart! The diamond pattern is nice! Good going Rain!

 
At 8:26 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow! I love it! I have my eye on a knitted jacket I spotted in the latest edition of cast-on...now I may rethink that whole style...

 
At 9:41 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Yay! I would love to see it for real, I can tell the pictures don't make it justice.
Isn't it nice to finish up big stuff? I am so preoccupied with all my small project (#ยค"*`@ Christmas present - next year they'll all get books) and I won't let myself touch my Arisaig until I am sure I will get them all done in time... Ah well, better get back to the striped socks (pic on blog soon).

 
At 11:55 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks. I've really enjoyed making it. It's just a shame it's taken so long to get finished as initially it was really quick to make.

With the weather as it is at the moment (freezing but dry) i'll definitely need it.

 
At 6:27 pm, Blogger Cerridwen said...

OMG I love your coat. I just cast on and have about a foot done for a knitted long coat much like the one you did. The fact that you finished it and are happy gives me hope that someday, mine will also be finished!

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Wow the coat looks great. I love the way the hood drapes, very dramatic!

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

That coat is sweet!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home