Well, the coat's finished - sort of. I still have all the ends to sew in and the lining to do, but I figured you'd rather have a sneak preview than wait until I have it all done. I may take some time to get it totally finished. I can't get to the craft warehouse for the lining material until next week and then it's how long it will take me to do it. Sewing isn't my forte and I have to get used to a new sewing machine first. I also need some form of fastening for it. I saw some ornate silver fastenings ages ago that I think would look great, but I don't know if I can still get them. Otherwise it might be a duffle style button up, it just depends what I can get. You'll have to excuse the dodgy photos, I used the timer on my camera and looked rather startled in most of them.This is the back, I pulled it tight around me so you could see the diamond effect. The squares are sewn horizontally/vertically, but they look diagonal. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out so far and am really looking forward to getting it done completely.
I have a few squares left over from when I made it smaller. I'm contemplating putting pockets on the fronts, as I think they are handy, but I don't want to ruin how it looks. I also have enough to make a bag, but it might be overkill to go trotting round with both together.
I was really worried that the hood had turned out too big, but I like it and it was the look I was going for. It looks a lot better than the first hood which literally just fitted around my head and looked a little odd.