Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, November 22, 2005

The Jedi Coat

Last winter I really wanted a full length crocheted coat. I had some nice patterns for coats, but none were quite what I was looking for. I found this coat pattern on t’internet and decided to adapt it and make it longer. I also added in side panels to make the bottom more flowy and fitted around my hips. It’s basically a lot of afghan squares sewn together and rows of double treble connecting certain parts. I did actually finish it around the time of the last Star Wars film and was met with lots of laughter from my friends as it ended up looking suspiciously like a Jedi cloak (it was an unfortunate coincidence and accident).

I’d asked Les, my trusty yarn dealer to get me 4 kilos of black Aran weight yarn. I wanted to double it to make it really thick. Black is notoriously difficult
for him to get, especially in Aran in those quantities but he’s a top bloke and true to form he managed to get it. He had made a slight mistake. He hadn’t looked at it closely until he got it home when he realised that it was black, navy blue and bottle green twisted together. He was really worried that I wouldn’t like it, but I thought it was fantastic. The blend is 75% acrylic and 25% new wool. I think it looks a lot better than just plain black which has a habit of looking quite flat and matt looking. In fact I love it!

Once it was finished I decided it was too long, it was brushing the floor and I didn’t want to ruin it by dragging it around on the ground outside. It was also long in the arms. I also wanted to make the hood bigger. It just fitted my head, but stylistically I wanted it to look more like the hood on the Scottish Widows cloak. This summer I pulled it apart and took off the longer bits and am in the process of putting it back together. With the recent bad weather it’s encouraging me to get it done. I’m also planning to line it a bottle green fabric. This is the current state of it, but I’m hoping to have the crocheting done in the next two weeks and the lining shortly after.


6 Comments:

At 6:50 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

That is really awesome. I can't wait to see it lined and everything.

 
At 4:23 am, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Totally Awesome!! :-)

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Emma said...

It looks great. And I do see the Jedi resemblence... Hurry up, we want to see it on you!

 
At 9:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laying out on the floor like that, it just needs a white line around it and it could be an extra from CSI!!! LOL

 
At 10:14 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks ladies. I'm desperate to get it finished.

 
At 8:32 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Gorgeous coat, look forward to seeing the finished item especially with the green lining!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home