Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Endless...

Is it just me, or is this enough to make any knitter's heart sink?

You cast off that final piece and sew it up and think that’s it, but then you remember that you’ve got all those ends to sew in. It’s my most hated part of knitting, I’d happily pay someone to do it for me. This was supposed to be today’s task, to get it all over and done with, but I just couldn’t face it. The cardigan has been sat for weeks in my ‘to do’ tub and quite frankly I’ve been avoiding it for a while.

To be perfectly honest I’m in no rush. It’s a Debbie Bliss pattern from ‘New Baby Knits’ and therefore HUGE. It’s my own fault for not looking properly. Miss Not-so-Bliss gives ages as well as sizes and stupid me looked at the age a few weeks before starting the pattern, decided to do the bigger size and then rushed into starting it weeks later. I’d completely forgotten that the chest size was 28” for a 9-12 month old!!! In reality it will probably fit the kid in question at age 7. I could smack myself round the head over it. Still it’s done and now I just have to find a little girl to go in it. It has to be a girl as there are hearts across the top, you couldn’t tell what they were in the chart and once they were done I was really disappointed. I do think they look nice but I was hoping for something a bit more unisex. I don’t know many 7 year old boys that would happily walk round in it - not even for a bet!

I altered the given pattern, the sleeves were supposed to be done with the pattern all the way up like the fronts, but I thought it was a bit over the top *cough* couldn’t be bothered *cough*. I do think it looks a lot better like this, it would be far too busy otherwise. It’s worked in matt black and white DK acrylic.

6 Comments:

At 8:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could always post it to me and I will sew the ends in for you! Strangely I don't mind sewing the ends in. I find a mindless film or program, start on one arm and work my way across.

 
At 8:47 pm, Blogger suzmcq said...

Wowee! That is some sweater. I am sure there is some little girl that would be happy to get it. Congrats to you. It looks wonderful.

 
At 6:15 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Sooo nice! And you are right, it would be too much to keep the pattern on the sleaves.

 
At 2:28 am, Blogger Jerry said...

I hate sewing in the ends too. It's a job best left for a long movie and a glass or two of Absinthe.

Love the pattern on it, looks great! I'll never get to do a Fair Isle, never in a million years after doing a Kaffe Fassett.

 
At 2:28 am, Blogger Jessi said...

That sweater is so cute! All those ends look like a nightmare, it's something I hate doing too. Usually after I finish a project it just sits there until I can gather up the nerve to weave all those little buggers in while I'm watching TV or something. Very nice work though. I love it!

 
At 7:33 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks. I'm glad to know i'm not the only end-hater.

Jerry - can't believe you did a Kaffe Fassett! I have one of his books and lust after the stuff, but it's just too much for me to face. I ususally avoid fairisle like the plague.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home