Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

My name is Rain and I'm a knitter

I really do think they should have some form of Knitters Anonymous. I jokingly call my favourite yarn seller my 'dealer' as he supplies my usual drug of choice - acrylic in 100g skeins. The trouble is knitting really is an addiction, I just can't stop myself. My biggest problem is that I like knitting, but i'm not a big fan of sewing up, sewing in ends or putting buttons on. Despite a growing pile of unfinished items there always seems to be something that I simply can't wait to start. Today is a case in point.

I went out this afternoon to get some chunky yarn. My mother has been eyeing up my muffler and has been proclaiming what a good idea it is. Before she could 'borrow' it I decided to make her one of her own. We've been looking around for something different and interesting in a few different yarn shops, but she just wanted plain bright red as it will go with all of her coats. Typically as soon as I got home I had to get started.

This is such a quick knit. On 6.5mm needles and only 22" long it simply flies together. Despite being acrylic it's really soft, much softer than mine in fact. I thought that might have provided my knitting fix for the day, but inspired by how quickly it went, I couldn't resist starting my other chunky project.

I'm making Tassle Tops from Kids Knits by Leslie Ann Price. It's another quick project that could be done in an all day session. The construction is inspired with very little sewing to do (always a winner with me). The body is worked in one piece and then the sleeves are picked up from the shoulders and knit downwards, the hood is picked up from the neck and then sewn at the top. Normally I wouldn't dream of doing an all garter stitch project due to the boredom factor, but in chunky it doesn't take long and looks really effective.

This is the fourth time i've done this pattern in the past few months. It seems to be the one thing that everybody really likes. I've made two in natural and dark brown and one in pale blue and navy. I couldn't decide what colour to do the trim on this one, but went for navy again as I think it looks good with white. This is another pattern I wouldn't mind making for myself, I can just see it in black.


I've been working on the cape too and have finished the back. The patterned sections are 18" and seem to take forever despite the stitch pattern being easy to do and interesting. The yoke and hood are all garter stitch though, so they shouldn't take long once I get there.

8 Comments:

At 5:26 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Wow! You're such a speedy knitter. I really like the pattern for your mom's scarf. I need to learn to knit faster to keep up with all the patterns I want to make.

 
At 12:15 am, Blogger Rain said...

Areli - with such thick yarn on big needles, you can't help but go fast.

Aurora - I know what you mean about acrylic, people can get quite nasty and uppity about it when it's really not that bad. Certainly for kids stuff you can't beat it.

The scarf is open twisted rib with an extra stitch at either end, k on RS and p on WS.

 
At 11:14 am, Blogger Rain said...

Knit Catherine KNIT!

That hat rocks, it'd get filed under cruel but funny in my pattern folder, along with the corn on the cob and pumpkin full body outfits for babies.

http://cache.lionbrand.com/patterns/kms-corn.html

http://www.berroco.com/exclusives/brook_pun/brooklyn.html

 
At 4:48 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for commenting on my blog. Looks like we have a lot in common and your knits are beautiful! I look foward to getting to know you better through your blog :)

 
At 5:41 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow, you had quite a productive day too! I was a knitting machine this weekend. But beyond the finished of the Irish Hiking Scarf, it wasn't nearly as interesting knitting as yours. That's a great pattern for your Mom's scarf!

 
At 2:16 am, Blogger Sharon J said...

Your needles must be smoking! How on earth do you manage to find the time to do anything other than knit? I'm seriously impressed :)

~Sharon

 
At 9:31 am, Blogger Rain said...

Sharon, i'm stuck at home with a back injury. Knitting is one of the few things I *can* do. It keeps me sane and out of mischief - sort of.

 
At 9:20 pm, Anonymous Unique BD06 said...

I really enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home