Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, December 04, 2005

What do donkeys get for dinner?

Half an hour - BUM BUM.

When I was little I used to go to Blackpool every summer. It's a seaside resort in Northern England where my brother and I would ride donkeys along the beach. It's been a tradition since the Victorian era and is still going strong. This summer Blackpool's 200 donkeys were awarded a statutory lunchbreak and various rights to ensure they don't get overworked.

My love of donkeys meant that when I saw the donkey jacket in 'The Baby Knits' book by Debbie Bliss I just had to make it. I knew that my friend Ned and his wife Nicky would appreciate it as they are from my part of the world. They are expecting a boy next month.

I made the 22" size (for a 6 mth old - HA!), hoping that it will fit next winter
when the baby is 1. Rather than using DB's cashmerino aran, I substituted in bog standard DK acrylic. I also looked for a colour that was a lot more like the donkeys I used to ride than the colour recommended. I ended up with a dark mink (125g) and cream (100g). I missed out the pockets, while they looked cute I decided the average 12 month doesn't need them.

I still need to add buttons, but i'm claiming this one as finished. I would have had it done last night, but i'd misplaced an inner ear. Rather than spend 10 minutes making a new one, I chose to spend most of the day turning the house upside down looking for it. I didn't find it, hence the delay.


10 Comments:

At 8:35 am, Blogger Monica said...

Very cute! :)

 
At 10:05 am, Blogger Jerry said...

I wonder if I could get my cat to wear that? That is awfully cute.

Do you still go to Blackpool? I wonder if the Pepsi Max Big One coster is still as popular now as it was back when it opened.

 
At 12:36 pm, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Love the jacket! What a neat tradition, I'm still deciding on whether or not to get a guardian donkey.

 
At 5:35 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Very, very cute. The lucky baby is going to be so cute in his donkey suit.

 
At 6:01 pm, Blogger Emma said...

Super cute. I love it.

 
At 10:19 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks.

Aurora, other people's kids are great - you get to give them back!

Jerry, I haven't been to Blackpool for about 7 years, I tend to find myself in Southport instead which is a similar place further down the coast. I think the Big One is still really popular though.

Elisabeth, go get that donkey! Donkeys rock, but they do make a lot of noise. We camped next to a field of them once and they woke us up really early braying like mad over the wall.

 
At 6:22 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Hee that is a very cute jacket and great colours too.

We live not far from Blackpool and as far as I'm aware the Big One rollercoaster is still going strong (and they have all sorts of other completely bonkers new rides, which scare me just looking at 'em!).

 
At 6:39 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Too cute! Always nice to make baby stuff out of washable yarns.

I'm sure you'll find that inner ear now that you've made another and don't need it.

 
At 6:43 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

That's adorable! I need someone to make that for. Maybe I'll just make it and put it away for my future kids....

RYC: Thanks!

 
At 3:35 pm, Anonymous Rockville Appliance Repairs said...

Grateful for shharing this

 

Post a Comment

<< Home