Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, January 04, 2006

These boots were made for walking

Girls have shoe festishes. I don't know why but they do. Myself, I like unusual shoes and have a cupboard full of completely impractical but incredibly lovely shoes. My latest shoes are my Ruby Slippers that I bought to wear with a black ball gown. I'm not supposed to wear high heeled shoes at the moment due to a spinal injury so I needed something flat. Unfortunately for my friends i've taken to wearing them to the pub, complete with the stripey socks or tights as it's a shame to keep such lovely shoes locked up until I go to another ball.

I've suddenly transferred my fetish to tiny shoes. The past few days have been taken up with making itty bitty footwear. I just can't stop, even though I need to move on to mitts and hats. The trouble is, tiny shoes make me broody, so if you have that problem too, don't look down.

More Two Needle Socks from - 'Baby Knits for Beginners' by Debbie Bliss, I just couldn't help myself. They've come out a fraction bigger than the blue ones in the post below, so it saves me from making the bigger size (for now). Gah, I want to make another two pairs, royal and navy blue, both with white stripes, but I wonder how much use they will be practically and if I should just stick to booties. I used DK acrylic, although the pattern is for DB's baby cashmerino.


These little boots are a really well written pattern called Docker from 'Rowan Babies' by Kim Hargreaves. They had stripes along the top of the foot in the pattern, but I made these plain black ones to go with the military flying (sleep) suit I made for Jenny's bean. (Come on baby, be born already). Made in DK acrylic. I think these will be the booties of choice from now on. I like the pattern and they look really practical, easy to pull on and off. (I've been plotting a giant pair for myself).

These little shoes are simply gorgeous from 'Adorable Knits for Tiny Tots' by Zoe Mellor. I used 4 ply acrylic rather than the cotton used in the pattern and they came out ok. I used white with lilac flecks, but they didn't show up too well in moss stitch. They were bright red in the book and too cute for words.






And finally, these so called "dainty bootees" from 'Baby Bloom' by Erika Knight. I felt they came out a little clumpy and boxy and I wouldn't make them again as they were a pain in the backside to do, each one was made in 3 parts and it got a bit fiddly. They were in lemon DK acrylic and I struggled to get a decent photo of them, even my camera didn't like them.




Must. stop. knitting. little. shoes. although they are great for using up the scraps left over from other projects.

10 Comments:

At 6:43 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That's a lot of booties. Please tell me you didn't do that in one weekend. Wow.

And I love the ruby slippers! And the stockings just totally rock with them.

 
At 9:40 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Your ruby slippers are perfect, I think your friends should be proud of you wearing them out.

I love the little baby booties. They are so cute, especially the little white moss stitch ones. I want to just hold them and look at them.

 
At 4:08 am, Blogger Rachel said...

They are all so beautiful!!!

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks guys.

Turtlegirl - I started them on Sunday afternoon and finished them Wednesday morning. I find them a pain to do as they are so fiddly. The knitting itself doesn't take long but the sewing always takes me ages.

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

My god, if I ever make it across the pond we HAVE to go pub hopping dressed in our matching wicked witch tights and ruby slippers. I had no idea there was someone else out there who did that.

 
At 6:15 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Mwahaha! Only if you wear the Overalls of Shame too.

I love mine. I saw them in a shop and HAD to buy them.

 
At 11:58 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I absolutely covet your ruby slippers! Wonderful with the stripy stockings. I was so so tempted to buy sparkly shoes (Irregular Choice) last Christmas!

 
At 9:17 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

My daughter has the ruby slippers, too! Me? I'm toooo old! Half way to 90! ~Sharon

 
At 10:11 am, Blogger Rain said...

What girl could resist sparkly shoes?

Sharon - you're never too old!

 
At 1:31 am, Blogger Monica said...

Too cute!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home