Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Being a bad daughter

Today I was a terrible, terrible child. I'm sure we've all done something that we've felt guilty about where our mothers are concerned, but today I feel like i've done the unforgivable. So what was this heinous crime? No, I didn't put her in a home (despite my threats), nor did I tell the police about the time she went on holiday abroad without me (ok so I was 23, but that's beside the point), nor did I stand and laugh when the dog opened the washing machine and paraded her underwear up and down the garden in front of the workmen doing the new kitchen (well, ok, I did), but it was much worse than that.

Today I frogged some cardigans that she knitted for me when I was at college, and how bad do I feel about it, especially when I think about all the hours she spent working on them. I haven't worn any of them for a number of years and she insists it's fine with her, as the yarn may as well get used for something i'll wear, but I still feel rotten for doing it. I absolutely love the yarn. At the time she knitted it I was in my late teens and really into tie-dye clothing and bright colours and it was the best stuff ever. I still really like it, although I appreciate it's not to everyone's taste. It's so awful, it's fantastic.

There were 3 cardigans in the same type of yarn but different shades, it's multi-coloured mohair boucle. Sound bad - wait till you see it!











































It's frogged quite well without damaging too many of the loops, i've just had to be really gentle with it.
I don't know what i'll make with any of it yet, but you can guarantee it will be fugly and will make my friends cringe when I walk into the pub.

No matter how bad I feel about frogging them, I take comfort knowing...

The heart of a mother is a deep abyss at the bottom of which you will always find forgiveness. ~Honoré de Balzac

6 Comments:

At 12:05 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

I can understand the guilt, but then again, WooHoo yarn!! It's sweet your mom's so understanding and now you will get to use yarn you like in sweaters you will wear and make your friends cringe as well. What could be better?

 
At 8:31 am, Blogger Rain said...

She's a good Mum really, although I still haven't forgiven her about that holiday!

I just have to find something to do with it.

 
At 9:44 am, Blogger Jerry said...

I remember tie dying EVERYTHING in sight once LOL! I still have some of it. Frogging will be better...i'll be a bit of you, a bit of your mum...lots of great memories there. You'll make something you'll wear now.

 
At 4:00 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Can you dye it? Or hey, yarn like that, you need more in small doses. How about some scarves or bags?

 
At 10:58 am, Blogger Emma said...

I like the green one. It would make a great shawl.
I still make my mom feel guilty about not taking me to the hospital until I nearly died when my appendix burst... Although she truly has been the best mom ever. Yours sound great too, though. I LOVED the dog-underwear story!

 
At 6:55 pm, Blogger Rain said...

The dog certainly is a comedian.

Turtlegirl - I don't think dye would take well on this somehow, it doesn't seem very porous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home