Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, December 17, 2005

Something for the weekend

I had a bit of S.E.X. this weekend, that's a Stash Enhancement eXpedition and not the real thing, the closest thing i've got to that recently is the dog trying to hump my leg - IN PUBLIC!!!

It really doesn't matter that i've got more yarn than I could knit for a number of years (even at my recent knitting rate), but hearing that my Wool Man is going to be closed until January sent me into a mad panic and a yarn buying frenzy.

I did go with a plan, really I did, and I only came home with a little extra, but now I have to find somewhere to put it. My yarn crates runneth over as it is. I did a rewinding and tidying session last week (it took me 2 full days) hoping to reduce the space required to store it, but to little avail - I need a bigger house with a dedicated knitting room.

I've started planning my New Year knitting with what i've bought.

I've promised Jenny a papoose and have chosen this one from 'Baby Bloom' by Erika Knight - a book with beautiful patterns for baby and the expectant mother, both practical and glam party wear. I'm making it in DK acrylic, white with lemon and lime flecks and lemon as the contrast colour for the edge and bobble.













I've also bought some mink acrylic that is darker and shinier than the yarn for the donkey jacket. I'm thinking a traditional Guernsey sweater would look great in it, I like this one from 'Knits for Babies and Toddlers' by Fiona McTague. It will probably be for my friend Andrea (due in July) as she is convinced she is having a boy.













There was also this as an odd ball that Les had found buried in his store room, he only had one ball left and shoved it in his oddments bin. My mother pounced on it and suggested a lacy baby cardigan, but given how much she likes it, i'm hoping I can eek out a scarf from it. It's Robin Fascination 85% acrylic 15% nylon, it's lilac, pink, peach and green with a shimmer thread running through it.

The rest was just copious amounts of plain white DK acrylic that i'm sure your imagination can supply the picture for. I'm planning plain sweaters with various motifs on the front - muppets and helicopters, although not together!

I was planning on showing you my finished Branching Out today, but it's met with a minor disaster and i'm undergoing a rescue mission on it. I've also finished the white Tassle Tops and the picture is in my Gallery.

9 Comments:

At 8:01 pm, Blogger Emma said...

I know all about stashing yarn... my parents live 5 km from one of the cheapest yarn stores in sweden. They donĀ“t have alpaca or any other import - but AMAZING feltable yarn in natural white and greyish coulors, from lace to 4-ply for virtually nothing! A 5:th of what they charge here. Sometimes they also have other finds. I always end up buying way too much.

 
At 12:26 am, Blogger Sharon J said...

It's taken me so long to load the comments page that I've forgotten what I was going to say now! Hmmm...*thinks hard*... oh yeah! I like that gansey type pullover and think it'll look great in the yarn you've chosen for it. Hmmm... I'm sure there was something more. Oh well, it couldn't have been important.

~Sharon

 
At 1:12 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

Sounds like you are having a fun weekend. The little gansey is pretty cute. What is a papoose? Is it like a bunting bag?

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger Rain said...

A papoose is a blanket sewn into a bag shape, it stops the baby kicking the blanket off.

I love the Guernsey too, classic designs like that never go out of style.

Cheap yarn is always a bonus, but tempts me into buying more.

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

LOL glad you managed to stock up on yarn supplies before the Great Yarn Famine hit! I tend to get most of mine online so if the LYS here was shut for a while, I probably wouldn't notice :-D Doesn't help that sometimes when we go in, you get the feeling that they think you're about to turn the place over - what are these younger people doing in a yarn shop anyway!

 
At 7:56 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I, for one, would like to see the muppets and helicopters on the same sweater. You could have Kermit flying an Apache (or UK equivilent) into battle to save Miss Piggy from terrorists or something. It's a lovely hand knit heirloom, exciting like a violent Saturday morning cartoon, contains beloved characters, and it's a politcal statement. What more could you ask for in children's wear?

 
At 3:35 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I ended up adding to my stash (yet again) this weekend too. You see, I needed yarn for a cowl for a friend and a hat for my mom. I went to the LYS and spent decent money on good yarn, but then decided on Sunday, that I wanted something different for the hat. So to Michaels I went. They had a sale. I not only bought new black yarn, but I bought new yarn for the cowl too, among other things. Good Lord. I need more bins to put my stash in!

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Now I see. I didn't realize you replied in your comments. What a good idea, now I am looking back over your last few posts to hear what you have had to say. :)

 
At 8:42 am, Blogger Rain said...

I don't think I could go into a wool shop and come out empty handed, it's just not possible.

Domestic Overlord - muppet is Air Force slang for an incompetent idiot, since the helicopter is depicting what the child's dad flies, I might be asking for a beating. He's bigger than me and his wife used to be a wrestler. Hmm, I need less scary friends.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home