Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, December 25, 2005

The Great Gift Giving Bonanza

You heard it here first.

Each year during the festive season I meet with two of my school friends Jen and Emily, for the exchange of birthday and yule gifts. We live scattered across the country so it's rare we all get together other than this time of year. Our friendship has attracted us the name 'The Weird Sisters', and another friend Adam insists we are more foul than fair.

You've seen the birthday gifts already, Branching Out for Emily and the lizard hot water bottle cover for Jen. Keeping with the themes of leaves and lizards I made them decoupage candle holders from glass vases and tissue paper (there are only so many knitted gifts you can receive before they become Weasley-tastic).














The cartoon above is the first page from the book that Emily gave me for my birthday. It's 'Great Lies to tell Small Kids' by Andy Riley. I used to work with kids and came up with a few corkers myself, but this provides some excellent inspiration. She also got me 'Change the World for a Fiver' which gives social, economic and environmental ideas for improving the world around you. It's a great book with some brilliant suggestions.

I'd already had my birthday present from Jen, a croquet set. For Yule she got me this beautiful money jar. The only problem is that you have to smash it to get your money out, although i'm sure a knife can solve that issue. You are supposed to write a wish on a slip of paper and put it in the jar with your first coin. The wish comes true when you smash it. You're also supposed to buy a new jar from the contents too.

It was lovely to see everyone again and we had a great evening out with much food, wine and merriment.

10 Comments:

At 12:35 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

That money jar is beautiful! I've never seen anything like that before. Too pretty to smash. And I loved the cartoon you started the post off with :-) That was cute hehehe.

Happy Belated Birthday! Gee, I get sick last weekend and miss everyone's birthday. Hope it was a nice one!

 
At 2:45 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

What an absolutely gorgeous jar! I don't think I could bring myself to smash that. I'm a bit worried about going out in the rain now, though. If there's one thing I'm not happy about, it's being peed on ;) Have a lovely Christmas. ~Sharon

 
At 9:46 am, Blogger Rain said...

The jar is from www.terramundi.co.uk they have some really nice designs and have suppliers in the US and Australia.

lol Jerry, my b'day was way back in November, we just wait till now to exchange gifts in person. Hope you're feeling better.

 
At 4:24 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Beautiful Jar! I'd just put it on a shelf, wouldn't want to ever be tempted to smash it just for some cash.

 
At 7:19 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

LOL! Did I wish you a happy B'day back in Nov too? I'm birthday challenged lately it seem ROTFLOL! I'll blame it on the flu I had LOL!

 
At 9:47 am, Blogger Monica said...

Hmm, guess I'm the only cynic, thinking, "interesting business model, inspires repeat business". ;) I wouldn't want to smash it, though, too pretty.

 
At 6:19 pm, Blogger chuck said...

IF rain is Jesus's wee wee, what is hail...kidney stones?

The jar is REALLY BEAUTIFUL!

 
At 8:20 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Love the money jar, the colours are gorgeous. Like everyone else, I'd hate to have to break it!

Happy New Year!

 
At 4:55 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Yipes! I don't think I would be able to smash that beautiful money jar! :)

Happy belated birthday and happy belated Yule...and an ontime, HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Tiffany

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger Rain said...

Happy New Year folks! I hope it's a good one for all of you.

Thanks for the belated b'day wishes too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home