Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, January 01, 2006

Join Me!

I was very impressed when Danny Wallace (author of ‘Join Me’ and ‘The Yes Man’) started a cult by mistake. I must admit being disappointed when he chose to use his minions for good instead of evil, but it could have gone the other way.

I’ve realised I may have unwittingly started a wee cult myself. Well not technically a cult, but I’ve started a craze. (I want a cult dammit!) Recently a large number (well ok 4) of my friends have been inspired to take up knitting again, they all learnt as children but stopped for some reason or another. Since I’ve talked of nothing but knitting (no, really) for the last few years it’s been sowing the seed in the minds of others that it’s a good idea. They all have minds of their own, but to heck with it, I’m taking the credit. One has even gone off and inspired somebody else to learn, see knitting is catching. It’s a disease, once you’ve got the bug you can’t get rid of it, even if it lies dormant for a few years.

I’ve found it amusing watching from the sidelines. Jenny, expecting in about 2 weeks, holds one needle like a javelin and yet has knitted and lined two beautiful blankets. Emily, knitting for an expectant friend, has got so broody I think it won’t be long before little Ems appear. Louise is also knitting for a new baby, her sister’s and the first baby of her generation. Lizzy, knitting and spreading the word, has just had a knitting masterclass from her mother in the space of 3 days and very proudly announced she can now make holes. I live in hope they are the deliberate kind - my learner knitting was full of inadvertent ones.

I can’t wait to see Lizzy’s knitting once she gets started, as she picks out the best knitted gifts and gave me this bag for Yule. It's fantastic and in my favourite colours.

I burst with joy knowing they are all knitting. Knitting rocks and I think everybody should do it. Danny’s cult performs Random Acts of Kindness, mine Random Acts of Knitting.




Of course there is still Jen, the anti-knitter, who needs defeating at any cost. She’s firmly in the Can’t Knit, Won’t Knit camp, but every cult needs an arch enemy.


To join Danny click here.
To join me, just follow the Two Comknitments:

Thou shalt knit.
Thou shalt encourage others to knit.


As for me, I didn’t finish even half the stuff I wanted to by the New Year, but new projects were far more exciting and calling to me. The baby cape is almost done, but I ran out of yarn half way through the hood, so I started the papoose which is a bit mindless but growing quickly. I’ve also realized I haven’t done much in the way of accessories and have started making hats, mitts and booties. These were my first socks, The Two Needle Socks from ‘Baby Knits for Beginners’ by Debbie Bliss. I’m trying to use up scraps, so I put stripes in them. Forget Em getting broody, I’m just melting over these.

10 Comments:

At 4:01 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Good on you gathering recruits!

And your little socks are soooo sweet.

 
At 8:38 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Those socks are darling. I love hearing about all your friends learning to knit. Congrats on your cult/craze. My mom has become a secret knitter of late. She doesn't want to admit that she enjoys it, but she keeps buying more yarn.

 
At 9:52 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

Happy New Year, Rain. Hope it brings you everything you'd want it to bring.

I'm jealous of your cult. None of my friends knit so I'm the "outcast". My friend's daughter has hinted at wishinhg somebody would teach her, but being as she lives in London, I live in Crewe and we only see each other about once every other month, it's a bit on the difficult side.

Socks. Yepp... if there's one thing to get the hormones calling for babies, it's knitting tiny socks. Christ, even I felt it when I knitted a pair for a friend's neighbour last week and it's 17 years since I last had a baby so it's best I control any feelings in that direction. The sock does look cute though :)

~Sharon

 
At 9:53 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

Singular? Tsk. Blame it on it being the day after the night before. ~Sharon

 
At 10:22 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I'm trying my best to spread the knitting bug. It seems to work best when you show someone something you've knitted, or some funky groovy yarn. They may not start knitting just yet but the idea is firmly planted that you can make great stuff :-D

I love the purple bag BTW!

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks guys. I really enjoyed making them. They're so sweet, I can hardly bear to part with them.

 
At 9:22 am, Blogger Emma said...

I love the socks, Rain!
A friend recruited me to the knitting cult 7 years ago and I am forever thankful. Long live the cult!
(what I am doing here? My character is weak.)

 
At 3:00 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

If only my friends would catch the knitting bug. I'm trying! The more they see, the more impressed they are that things like that can be made! Maybe when they finally ask me to teach them they'll stop asking me to make them things that the design only lives in their head for. That's the worst. "Can you make a scarf that isn't really a scarf but isn't a hat either but will do what both does? What I'm picturing looks like this..." And they procede to draw a sketch of something one can only describe as "screwy".

 
At 11:00 am, Blogger ra said...

I restarted two of my work colleagues knitting (tho' I don't think they're as obsessed as I am). My sister caught the bug pretty quickly too, she tried to go off on a crocheting thang, but she's knitting again now. She in turn has passed the virus on to a number of HER colleagues, some knit virgins and some born again. I'm doing my best to spread the word. Think knitting at work (and showing folk the finished object) is the way to go.

That said, and ex colleague just laughed at me, said "only old women knit". Dunno what she means, she's the one who's a grandma not me!

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Yay for making more people knit!

Where do people think the old knitters come from? - you don't hit 60 and instinctively know how to knit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home