Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Monday, January 16, 2006

Cruise control

I don't think there can be many young women who made it through the 80s without having a crush on Tom Cruise. I can only have been about 7 or 8 when Top Gun first came out, but it had a lasting impression on me. In fact, that film has a lot to answer for, it was no accident that I or a lot of others of my generation ended up in the Air Force. Of course we didn't tell the recruiters that...

Although my time is served, when it came to knitting for two of my Air Force friends, I couldn't help but notice the resemblance between a babygro and a flying suit and curiously had an abundance of olive green in my stash. It didn't take very long for an idea to be born (although this baby is taking its time about it).

Despite a few issues with creating the way the crotch would fasten it was pretty easy to design and didn't take long to knit up. It's an 18" chest made from Patons Fairytale 4ply (60% acrylic 40% nylon), it's wonderfully soft and can even be machine washed and tumble dried.

It's been languishing in my unfinished box for months. I needed to embroider the various badges to turn an otherwise boring outfit into true Mini-Me status. The embroidery is somewhat crude to say the very least, but you get the idea (although I've blanked out the name tag). Nick, can you please transfer to 7 Sqn because the badge is easier to do. The elephant looked suspiciously like a camel at one point and I was loathe to redo it.

Be it son or daughter on arrival s/he can be dressed just like Mummy and Daddy.



With other military based outfits in progress I'm concerned about turning into a novelty knitter based on my own whims. Since you already know I take my careers direction from films you won't be surprised if you see me dressed as a Pirate. Don't point and laugh - just show me that horizon.

20 Comments:

At 1:36 pm, Blogger Jacqui said...

That's an awesome outfit! I'm sure the new arrival will look adorable in it. :)

 
At 3:15 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

That has to be the coolest outfit ever! I wouldn't be surprised if you don't get a bundle of orders from other military parents-to-be, y'know. There's a pattern for a newborn sized babygrow in the Sirdar "Early Arrivals" book - when I saw it I thought of you and this project. ~Sharon

 
At 4:38 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

Awesome! That is too cute!

 
At 5:18 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

DId you really embroider all the patches? Good lord will your talents never end!

 
At 5:46 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Aw, thanks folks. I just keep looking at it and smiling.

Sarah, I did all but the Sgts stripes, they were shop bought (you can tell). The rest of them took me daaaaaays. It's not my strongest skill and I'm a perfectionist, not a good combo. The name tag was done with one of those punch tools that create a carpet like effect with the name embroidered on, thank goodness they have a short surname.

 
At 6:30 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

That is so cute! You could very well have found yourself a niche market!

 
At 6:34 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

That has got to be the cutest thing I have ever seen!

 
At 7:19 pm, Blogger Robyn Wade said...

OMG, this is awsome!!

 
At 8:12 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Baby will look so great in that outfit. You did an excellent job, it's such a neat pattern. And that you embroidered the patches yourself amazes me!

 
At 9:42 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Cheers guys.

Nutty - I think I was probably taller than him back in the 80s too ;)

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

DO they still sell those puchtool thingies in the UK? I can't find them here anymore! I see a swap in your future. Do you like Tequila, 'cause I'm practically swimmin' in it here...

 
At 10:46 pm, Blogger Elisabeth Lincoln said...

Holy Cow that's awesome!!
You're amazing, woman. :-)

 
At 1:10 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

That is one fantastic baby outfit :-) I am in awe of your embrodery skills, the patches look fab.

Now trying to remember if I ever had a crush on Tom Cruise in the 80s .. hmm.. no don't think so, but I liked the film, I remember being quite fond of the Iceman LOL.

 
At 9:05 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thank you all for your kind comments and compliments.

Sarah, mine was brought back from the States well over 10 years ago and although there was something similar here I haven't seen them for eons. I used to mail order the thread and cloth as it was difficult to find in the shops. It might be worth seeing if you can get one online. The US ones were called Purrfect Punch, the UK ones Webster's Punch.

My friend had a battery operated one, but I should imagine it was very difficult to control.

 
At 5:49 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I'll check it out, thanks.

A battery opperated one? That's just madness! That's like asking for an embroidered tattoo should you have a slip of the hand. Eek!

 
At 4:55 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Just priceless, Rain. And those badges are amazing! What a thoughtful gifty...

 
At 5:03 pm, Blogger Mary said...

That's adorable! The parents will love that!

 
At 3:57 am, Blogger Monica said...

Love. It. So cute!!!!

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Bad Amy said...

I just had to look again... I giggle and giggle and giggle! You need to superimpose a mini Tom Cruise head on top :o)

 
At 7:15 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Mwahaha. Don't tempt me!

The parcel with it in should have arrived today so I hope to see Scarlett in it soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home