Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, January 07, 2006

T minus one to debarkation

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not of diminutive size, I've just been knitting a lot of stuff for babies recently. In just seven days time bean number one is due to arrive in the world. They won’t let Jenny go more than two weeks over her due date so the baby will be here any time soon. She sent me a photo of her bump a few days ago and to quote my mother, “Is she sure there’s just one in there?” I hope there is – I’m not knitting two of everything!

Talk about a deadline, I’ve only been knitting for this baby for 8 months and I still don’t have everything done that I wanted to. I’m going to be that mad old auntie (not a real one, the type that did water aerobics with your mum) that sends knitted gifts for every occasion until the baby turns 18. I’ve been trying to get as much done as possible to last the first two years as I don’t know where life will take me in the meantime (hopefully travelling) and if I’ll be able to knit.

To keep the little ‘un wrapped up warm I’ve made him or her a papoose (I’ve requested a girl – I like knitting for girls). It’s from 'Baby Bloom' by Erika Knight and is a different approach to a blanket. It’s limited in use due to size, but for the time it lasts it can’t be kicked off like a blanket could. It’s also the most boring piece of knitting I have ever done. Cast on 80 sts and knit Forest knit. Aaaarrrggghhh! Had I any sense, I’d have done it on a machine. It’s one of those things that you have to force yourself to keep working on as it was mind numbingly dull.

I made it in DK acrylic and it’s really soft. It’s got green and yellow flecks in that will match the nursery. The pattern was for any DK weight yarn, but suggested a wool/cotton blend which will explain why it required 300g but took less than 200g. I have plenty left over that will be enough for a cardigan or jumper. I'm debating the bobble that is in the book. It looks cute and finishes it off nicely, but I wonder at how annoying it might become actually in use.

Baby number two (also from my ex-squadron) isn’t due for another 3 weeks so that gives me a bit more time. I definitely think there is something in the water as I also have 3 friends expecting in the summer. One day I’ll get to knit something for myself ;)

6 Comments:

At 12:14 am, Blogger Rain said...

Aw fanks! You've made me blush.

I get it from my Mum, she only likes knitting for babies. I like how varied it is and how quickly things are made. My friends need to stop having babies so I can get some knitting time in for myself.

 
At 12:29 am, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Heh. I had 5 - count 'em FIVE friends give birth last year. I haven't knit a think for them. I'm still new enough that I can get away with that. Once I do, I'll start with the oldest and tell the mom to pass it on to the next friend. Heh. I have a strategy.

 
At 2:19 am, Blogger Dina said...

"knit forest knit." LOL! Love your sense of humour ... can't wait to start reading about your travels on your other blog. Will you travel with needles as well?

Dina

 
At 5:39 am, Blogger Cerridwen said...

There does seem to be something in the water. It seems everyoe I know is either pregnant or trying to get pregnant.

 
At 10:49 am, Blogger Rain said...

Turtlegirl - that sounds like a plan.... only my lot are cluster bombing them all at the same time.

Dina - i'm hoping to take the needles, my last trip was full of 14 hour bus journeys so I know there's time available. My first stop will be long term, but won't start for a while.

Cerridwen - I think it might be our age, but I guess some peoples' biological clocks tick louder than others.

 
At 6:53 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

You are such a busy auntie. I think you have blessed friends, with you knitting so much for all the babies.

The papoose looks very practical for a new baby, will keep nice and warm. Although it does look like lots of boring knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home