Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Compulsory sewing classes for all

I have to say that most men I know wouldn't have a clue how to sew on a button, let alone how to get a neat seam between two pieces of fabric, so please tell me why I'm trusting someone to do that to my face. Sewing should definitely be on the school curriculum. I've been trotting back and forth to the hospital a few times in the past week to visit various consultants, I'm finally getting my back and pelvis seen to (halle-freaking-llujah). I'm also having a rather nasty mole taken off my temple. Given the size of the mole, it's going to leave a heck of a scar. Fortunately it's right on my hairline so it shouldn't be too noticeable and I've already had a fringe cut in to hide it. It's going to be like having half a facelift. I know I'm no oil painting, but I didn't quite have being a Picasso in mind.

Talking of things being sewn together in a strange manner, I've just made a rather odd cardigan for baby Scarlett (Yes, she now has a name!). I must admit I'm not very happy about it (the cardigan, not the name). It was the Garter Stitch Cardigan from 'Simple Knits for Cherished Babies' by Erika Knight. I actually decided to abandon the garter stitch altogether as the yarn I chose looked far better in stocking stitch. It was the only pink DK I had in at the time and I was itching to knit something girly. I thought it had a very odd construction. Cast on x sts, knit half the back, cast on extra either side for the sleeves, work so many, turn, knit the fronts with increases for the v-neck, cast off for the sleeves, carry on knitting, cast off, join in to the other side and repeat to match the first. You might think that knitting it in one piece is a bonus, with just the underarm and side seams to sew, but given that the book is aimed at beginners I thought it was a bit complicated to follow if you don't know what to expect.

Anyway, here it is.
I'm really not sure if Jenny will like it (I'm not super keen on it), but I've sent it on anyway. All of my knitting has a provision - if you don't like it, you don't have to keep it. I'd rather offer a get out clause and be able to pass it on to someone else than to have something stuck in a drawer and never worn.

The yarn is some of the first yarn I ever bought (all by myself out of my pocket money) aged about 10. I think it may have been Patons, I've long since lost the bands but remember it was called Seaspray. I also have 100g in green, 200g in peach and a tiny bit of blue left. It's a boucle yarn, varigated with 2 shades of the colour and white and with a shiny white strand twisted around it.

As I wasn't sure if I had enough to make the cardigan (and my tension was way off), rather than faff about with needle sizes, I decided to scale down the pattern to a smaller size than the one given that would work with my gauge. I did this as I went along rather than by writing it out first and it worked. It's good to keep the old brain ticking over.

11 Comments:

At 3:13 pm, Blogger Jacqui said...

The sweater is very sweet. I'm sure it will look adorable on little Scarlett. I love the name!

 
At 5:25 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

I think it looks fine, but then a picture and real life can be two different things, can't they? I made something similar (stuck with the garter stitch) in a beige/fawn/brown flecky type DK for Kai when he first arrived in the world. His mum adored it and passed it on to a friend when he outgrew it. Scarlet's a lovely name. ~Sharon

 
At 5:27 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

Oh, I got so hung up in the cardi that I forgot what I'd actually meant to say. Which is that I had a humungous great mole removed from my...erm... nether regions a couple of years ago. It had grown about a centimeter down into the flesh and was about a centimeter across. Of course, I was really worried about it, but it was fine. The point is though, it didn't leave a scar. In fact, even I sometimes wonder whether it ever reallly existed. Good luck with the removal of yours. ~Sharon

 
At 7:06 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Don't worry, the cardi looks very cute. And I love the story that it's made out of the first batch of yarn you ever bought. Be sure to tell the mom that! I think she'll appreciate it.

Good luck with personal maintenance stuff. I put off stuff like that myself for far too long until someone finally kicks me in the butt and makes me.

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks. It's probably just me, I haven't knitted in anything textured for ages and it just looks a little odd when I'm so used to neat even stitches.

Sharon - cheers for putting my mind at rest, I don't know anyone who's had one removed and the plastic surgeon made it all sound a little horrific.

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger Cerridwen said...

My dad just taught me to sew a few months ago. Good thing to, because I caught my robe on fire at Yule (funny story actualy). When I was a kid, my dad and brother sewed. When I wanted to learn, my brother told me that sewing was "men's work" and I wasn't aloud to do it.

 
At 12:33 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

The cardi is lovely, and what a great name Scarlett is :-)

Just have to pitch in that DH is very adept with both sewing machine and hand sewing (and neater than me by far. Hey, I can't even use the sewing machine yet!).

I had a mole removed from the back of my neck a few years ago, it was done by our local GP! No scar that I can detect - it was one of the wibbly wobbly moles that are almost on a stalk (hm just made myself feel ill typing that!). My mum had one done at the hospital, from her face, and again they did a great job. Don't think you need worry too much.

 
At 2:51 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

I think the sweater looks great. I always worry if the giftee will like the item I knitted for them or their baby too. I'm sure Scarlett will love it. :) (What a great name!)

I have a couple of moles I would like to have removed, but am too chicken to get it done. Let us know how it goes. :)

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger Rain said...

He he he, I do know some men who can sew, but remember a lot of the lads having a terrible time sewing name labels into their military uniform. Things like sewing through both layers of a sock, sewing things to their trouser leg at the same time etc.

Thanks for letting me know your mole experiences. It really does help. I'll let you know how mine goes Samantha.

Nutty, the Picasso is one of his linocuts called 'Small Portrait of a Woman'.

 
At 12:32 am, Blogger knitfriendly said...

Good luck with your procedure Rain. I am sure that it will go very smoothly. I think that you did a great job on the cardigan. It is very cute!

 
At 12:16 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

Good luck with the mole, I'm sure everythign will be fine. Hey, ask them to stitch you up with feeather stitch or something pretty :-)

The cardi looks really sweet....I like it and Scarlett will look too precious in it. Good going!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home