Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Warm Up? More like a marathon!

In my infinite wisdom I decided I had time between finishing the Baby Uggs and the Knitting Olympics to knit something for myself. Bear in mind that all I've done since May last year is knit baby clothes and small items as gifts, so I seem to have a deluded idea of just how long things take. In all fairness there have been a few hurdles in my way too. I'd planned to make something else, something smaller, but I couldn't get the yarn I wanted in time. I also took about 3 days longer than expected to sew in all the tufts over the Uggs, it didn't take that long to knit them. In desperation and to fill the time I chose another yarn with no project in mind, but soon thought of a pattern I've wanted to make for over 10 years.

The pattern is from Patons Summer Collection 1987! It cost 50p at the time for 15 patterns (that made me smile). I like both the slip and the cardigan, but thought I'd get more use from the cardi. I've always had it in my head that I'd make this in lilac like the one shown, but since my other project is going to be in heathery lilac I thought I'd go for something else. I've been admiring this green for a few weeks and it fits into the colour scheme I'm trying to bring into my wardrobe. It's acrylic, but has a lovely soft feel.



I've had a few dramas with it, so it feels like it's taking forever. I'm up to the armholes on the back, but have frogged a few inches a couple of times. The cables are alternate making it something you need to concentrate on a bit more than usual. I've put in an extra repeat as I prefer things a bit longer. Obviously there's no chance I'll have it finished before I cast on for my Olympic item, but I'll be happy if I get the back done.



I have to say that my Olympic preparation has been non existent. I've knitted with the yarn I'm using recently so I know my tension, but I haven't actually written anything down yet for the pattern. I'm yet to make the measurements required, but there's time tomorrow. Steph the Yarn Harlot has called 2pm as the official start time wherever
you are in the world, but in reality the Opening Ceremony doesn't start until just before 7pm here so I'll probably wait for the flame to be lit. For those in the UK live coverage starts at 6pm on BBC2.

If you're taking part Good Luck! See you at the finish. I hope.


As for the real athletes...Go Team GB!
I'm supporting each and every one of you.

6 Comments:

At 7:47 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

That's a really pretty cardi. I can't believe you have kept the pattern that long! Things fly out of my head the moment I blink, I would never have remembered a pattern that many years.

 
At 7:56 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Nice cardi, I like green so I approve of the colour too. :-)

Good luck with your Olympic knitting. I still think we're all nuts!

Sue

 
At 10:16 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Cute cardi. Even if it is circa 1987. :)
I can't wait to cast-on.

 
At 8:52 am, Blogger Rain said...

I definitely think we're all nuts for this Olympic malarkey.

Areli, we're pretty organised on the pattern front. Between my Mum and I there are hundreds of patterns, some that used to belong to my grandmother. We never throw anything out because fashion keeps going round and round.

Nutty, Does My Bum...? exists only as a figment of my imagination, which isn't good as I'm supposed to be knitting it today.

 
At 1:31 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I like the alternating cables pattern on the cardi and I think I prefer it in the green - good choice! Good luck with the Knitting Olympics!
Hazel

 
At 4:38 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

I love the way the cables seem to wave diagonally across the sweater. The green is lovely, too.

I don't particularly think you're crazy about the Olympics. You seem a swift and sane knitter. Actually, now that I read that, I'm not sure "sane" should be used in that sentence.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home