Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Bootie Call

Some mothers give me the distinct impression that had you offered them a Gucci handbag instead of a baby, they'd have taken the handbag. It upsets me to see babies used as a fashion accessory. It bothers me on a lot of levels, not least because I'm such a cheapskate. It's a miracle I can get knitting needles into these tight-fisted little hands of mine. I know all mothers want their babies to look nice, but I think it's criminal to spend so much on tiny designer wear that will fit for just a few months when there are children starving in the world. The picture of Daniella Westbrook says it all. All I can say is stop it, stop it at once! The only saving grace of all this is that she killed Burberry in the UK. Who would want to be associated with it now?

Given my stance on designer items, it was a miracle that something could melt the heart of this miserable, cynical grump. What could be cuter than a pair of Baby Ugg Boots?

Three pairs of course!

I had to find a sub for the Berrocco yarn used in the pattern. I managed to find a suede feel yarn in roughly the right colour. It was in with the seconds and oddments at an indoor market stall I go to, so I have no idea what it's called or who it's made by. I suspect it could be Sirdar as they sell a lot of their seconds, but I've been unable to track it down at other yarn shops or on the internet. If you know what it is, please, please, please let me know. I bought two balls, found at two different branches of the stall, for the grand sum of 89p each. Each boot took 15g of yarn for the bigger (9-12 month) size. For the cuffs I used Sirdar Snuggly Bubbly doubled. It took forever to do the stitching down the sides and over the boot as it is only one tuft every inch. I don't think I'd use it again if I found more of the suede. I thought this was a very sensible bootie pattern and would definitely use it again, it's done in one piece with no picking up or fiddling around.

ETA: Sue has identified the yarn as Sirdar Milano. Thank you Sue! Unfortunately it's been discontinued, but Nutty has pointed out that you can get it on ebay, so it's still knocking about.

If you want to see a decent picture of some made in the recommended yarn then head over to Steph's blog
'And she knits too!' as she has made a lovely pair.

In the comments to my last post Turtlegirl asked me when I'm going to knit something for myself. It's coming soon, very soon. Watch This Space!

16 Comments:

At 7:10 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

I think your mystery yarn is Sirdar Milano. It looks exactly like the white Milano I bought in a sale last year. I've since given it to my Mum in partial exchange for the electric steamer she wasn't using. I use the steamer for dyeing and its fab!

Sue

 
At 7:17 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Now that's a baby pattern I could get behind. So cute.

 
At 7:40 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Sue, you are a super star! Thank you very much. It's been discontinued, but at least I know what I'm looking for.

Turtlegirl, once you start making baby stuff you get hooked (and broody)!

 
At 7:42 pm, Blogger Minnieknits said...

My other pet hate re:children as a status symbol is these mums who forsake warmth and comfort just so the child looks good (blow the fact that they're miserable as hell 'cos they're cold !)
The bootee pattern has been duly bookmarked so I can make some for my nephew - they are v.cute in a unisex way that I think my sister will like!

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger Faerynuff said...

I love that pattern, make me want to plan baby #3 to arrive in the winter!

I feel quite sorry for Ms Westbrooke. But even so, nothing excuses all that burberry! Ms Beckham seems to enjoy doing it to her kiddliwinks too!

 
At 8:11 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Nutty, you're an angel. Thank you very much.

 
At 12:43 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

Those baby uggs are so cute. Every time I see them I decide I am going to make my baby a pair, but I think she is getting to big for them now so I might have to find a littler baby.

 
At 1:06 am, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I love the booties! I have not seen that episode of Nitty Gritty. You have inspired me to go and knit up a pair for my friend's one year old. :)

 
At 1:54 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Does anyone need or want that much Burberry? The booties are fab!!! Super nice work, Rain!

 
At 1:51 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

I love them!! Soooo cute!! I totally agree about the designer kiddie clothes. My child is an unwillilngly proud model for Wal Mart most every day. :)

 
At 4:28 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Cute booties! Were they a fairly easy knit? I love them! :)

 
At 5:02 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks guys.

Monica, that's hilarious!

Samantha, they are really easy and there is a video to show you how to do the shaping if you're not sure.

 
At 5:56 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

That Burberry atrocity isn't nearly so bad as the "prostitot" look so popular State side. Did you know they make bikinis for babies?

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

If there's one thing about mom's dressing their kids that really gets my goose, it's mom's who dress their kids like BP's. Five year old's in pleather pants, belly shirts, and high-heeled boots? C'mon, let the kid be a kid. Just because it's YOUR kid, doesn't mean they have to dress like mommy-the-prostitute.

By the way, cute little boots. You made good yarn choices.

 
At 11:01 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Whatever happened to the innocence of babes? It's shocking but it's going that way here too. I wa never allowed to dress like a ho, but I did go through a running around naked stage (oops, sorry Mum!)

 
At 9:33 am, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Hi Rain,
Found your blog via Sharon's so thought I'd pop by and say "hello". I love the Baby Ugg bootees. My niece is due to have her second baby later this month so I'll have an excuse to knit some! :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home