Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, February 11, 2006

When the going gets tough...

...the not so tough run as fast and as far away as they can.

Or in my case, shopping - yarn shopping, because that's what I need right now (yeah, like a hole in the head). In all fairness, some of it had been ordered in especially for me and I had to go and pick it up. Nothing too exciting, just 500g of silvery grey acrylic for my 'Cobweb' sweater, another Rain creation on the horizon, albeit a much more organised and logical one than my Olympic effort. From another source I also picked up


The stuff on the left is more Sirdar Silky Look (93% acrylic, 7% nylon) , 250g white, 100g denim blue and100g lilac.

The middle one is unidentifed. Sue - help! Anybody, please, if you recognise it, let me know. It's navy and jade and is a bit fuzzy like a mohair, but is unbelievably soft. I know I tell you everything is soft, but this is more than that. It's sit and stroke your face, just pet it, don't want to knit with it soft. I've got 200g of it with no project in mind.

On the right, 100g Sirdar Denim Tweed (60% acrylic, 25% cotton, 15%wool) in Lipstick, 150g in Cappuccino and 150g of Sirdar Town and Country Self Patterning Sock Yarn (75% wool, 25% nylon) in Harlequin.

Incidentally, on my last yarn expedition, the unidentified pink was Denim Tweed in Pink Sorbet and the fine brown, beige and cream yarn was also Town and Country sock yarn in Chocolate Whirl.

Today's expedition (escape) also yielded an unexpected find. I moved back home 18 months ago, but prior to that had lived away for 6 years. During that time a lot of the yarn shops that used to be around had closed. I never gave it a second thought, a lot closed down prior to the recent knitting revolution. Only today, I discovered that one of them hadn't closed, just moved to the other side of the shopping centre. I was really surprised, I could beat my head against a brick wall over it. It's average priced and stocks mostly Sirdar, but apparently she does wicked sales. It was also absolutely chock-a-block full of other knitters. I have now discovered where they have all been hiding.

As nice as my excursion was, all runaways come home when they are hungry and I had to face up to my Olympic commitment eventually. Don't let the extra scribbles on my design sheet fool you into thinking I know what I'm doing now. What you didn't see was me lying on the floor drawing around my body. I can imagine any proper designers reading that with abject disbelief, but I wanted to see the exact gradient of my curves. Stop shaking your head - it made sense to me at the time. I then knuckled down to a few hours of uninterrupted knitting bliss and now have 5 inches over 238 sts. Suddenly the future is not looking quite so bleak.

8 Comments:

At 8:50 am, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Ok, now my reputation is ruined - I have no idea what your yarn is! The colour is lovely though! You could do the burn test to see if its natural or manmade but other than that I have no idea. Sorry! :-(

Sue

 
At 4:10 pm, Blogger Minnieknits said...

HazelNutcluster does not lie! Nowhere remotely near to get a yarn fix!
Still smiling at the thought of you laying on the floor with felt-tip in hand - this has to bring a whole new meaning to made to measure!!
Anyho - I bow down to you, Oh queen of the bargain yarn find!!

 
At 6:55 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Well I reckon if it works, what's wrong with drawing around yourself? :-)

Nice stash enhancement, and glad you managed to track down the errant yarn shop. I wish our original one hadn't closed, it's now part of the cafe next door. It's a nice big square-ish shop, unlike the current one which feels like a cupboard! You used to be able to happily browse patterns without the one other person in the shop falling over you ...

 
At 9:16 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I am so amazed at your ability to knit on the fly. Your pattern looks very impressive. I will be sending good wishes your way! Thank you for the kind comments earlier today. :)

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Five inches over 238 stitches!! Good going!! I had in mind to design a sweater for myself later on and thought I'd use one of my sweaters that I really like the shape of and which fits me really well and use that as a kind of template but now you've got me thinking. Your way of lying on the floor and drawing around yourself sounds much more fun!!! :-)

 
At 5:39 am, Blogger Unknown said...

Perhaps in four years, I'll do the knitting olympics...right now, I'm struggling with motivation for my sweater! LOL
I need to get better at this so I can finish something nice in 16 days! :)

I loev the yarn. No such thing as too much, right?

 
At 9:02 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks.

There is definitely no such thing as too much yarn.

Thanks for the idea on the burn test Sue, I wouldn't have thought of that.

I don't know how much I'd recommend drawing around yourself for sizing, but it does help with an idea of shape.

Ha ha, I have visions of murder scene knitting with body shapes drawn all over the place.

 
At 6:06 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This sweater you're designing is exciting. I'm glued to my seat. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home