Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, March 02, 2006

I've been tagged

and I don't mean electronically. I'm not that much of a delinquent.

Sharon got me. As usual click the photos to see them bigger.

4 jobs or places of work:

  • Market trader - My first job at 15 was selling greetings cards and gifts on the local market.

  • Bar Staff - I've worked in venues from small local pubs to big night clubs and sports stadiums. It paid my way through University and kept me in beer tokens.

  • Outdoor Activity Instructor - I taught kids to do various adventure sports from Archery to Zip Lines. I didn't kill any, but a few cried.

  • Military Aircrew - I spent a few years in the Air Force training to be a Weapons Systems Operator before a back injury cut my career short. It's been left open for me to return, so who knows....
4 movies I'd watch over and over again:

  • Withnail and I - I find this film hilarious, it reminds me of my student days and the grubby house I shared with 6 others.

  • The Importance of Being Earnest - another really funny film and you can't go wrong with a bit of Colin Firth.
  • Pride and Prejudice - The BBC version, not technically a film, but I love it. Don't talk to me about the new film, Jane Austen will be spinning in her grave.

  • Top Gun - It was no accident I joined the Air Force.
4 places where I've lived:

  • Durham - I spent 3 of my 4 University years in the city. Home of Hogwarts and a medieval architectural masterpiece. I spent many hours in the Castle Dungeons (it's a bar now). In the words of Bill Bryson, "If you have never been to Durham, go at once. Take my car, it's wonderful."

  • France - Southern Normandy, I was teaching as part of my Uni course. It's a beautiful place and the people were really friendly and welcoming.

  • Austria - Vorarlberg, I lived in a mountain village and was made an honourary native. Lots of skiing and schnapps.

  • Spain - Costa Brava, I worked as a watersports instuctor, living 2 mins away from a beautiful beach.

4 TV shows I like:

  • Life on Mars - I'm devastated I have to wait a year for the next series. It was marvellous.

  • House - I'm grumpy, he's grumpy, it's a match made in heaven.

  • 24 - I like the pace of it and the idea of it being 'real time'.

  • Judge John Deed - My inner idealist loves the character.
4 Websites I visit every day:

  • Knitty Coffeeshop

  • Bloglines, so I can keep up with you good people and your blogs.

  • KnitNerds, a great new site bringing knitting resources together in one place for easy reference.
4 Places I've been to for holidays:


  • Peru - the best 5 weeks of my life. I've found paradise.

  • Germany - I did an exchange while I was at 6th Form College and had a fab few weeks in Bavaria.

  • French Alps - I went on a kayaking trip for 3 weeks with my University Canoe Club. It's a stunning part of the world.

  • The Lake District - I used to go camping and hill walking with my friends in a very beautiful part of the UK (Cumbria).
4 favourite dishes:

  • My Mum's roast dinners. She does the best roast spuds I've ever tasted.

  • Indian - curry, any kind will do.

  • Chinese - sweet and sour chicken is my favourite

  • Mexican - whether it's chilli or fajitas, it's great.
4 places I'd like to be right now:

  • Peru, I'd go back tomorrow and stay there forever.

  • Flying in a helicopter, because there's nothing like it.

  • Spain, I could do with a bit of sun, sea, sand and sangria.

  • Travelling around the world, it a dream of mine, watch this space.

4 bloggers to answer the questions next:

I know a lot of you have been tagged with this already, but if you haven't yet, consider it done!

12 Comments:

At 1:59 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Cool answers and it was fun to find out a little more about you. So tell me...did you meet any Tom Cruise look-a-likes in the Air Force?

 
At 2:03 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

Wow! You've been to some exciting and interesting places. Do that world trip while you can because believe me, you never know what's around the corner.

~Sharon

PS: Yes, Judge John Deed. I like that one, too.

 
At 3:59 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I'm going to pretend I've been tagged for this one already. But I have to say - I did the outdoor adventure thing too. I taught it at 4-H Camp to kids from ages 6 all the way to 16. Then I did it in college for adults. I liked the kids better.

 
At 7:01 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

You have been to some wonderful places, Your a year younger than me, but wow, you have done some amazing things. Your picture of Peru makes me want to go there, too. My husband really wants to travel, so as these kids get bigger we are hoping to see some different places. And your descriptions are wonderful, makes me want to go there.

 
At 11:37 pm, Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Hey - another kayaker! Where did you go in the Alps - One year I'll do it. If I don't get so fat I don't fit in my boat any more. I live near the Dart - so I paddle the Loop again and again and ... yawn.
AND I would love to go to Peru - turning green.
My son is planning his round the world trip as we speak. I'm planning a trip to Thailand this October - maybe go sea kayaking in Trang (if I can afford it).

 
At 3:07 am, Blogger Bad Amy said...

Rain, I want to travel in your napsack! Such wonderful adventures. And can you believe, I haven't been tagged yet - am I the ONLY one?!

 
At 8:44 am, Blogger Rain said...

Melissa - No Cruise look-a-likes to be found anywhere. My friend and I came up with a careers plan, the ugly ones should go in the navy. They spend 7 months of the year at sea, so we would be doing womankind a favour.

Sharon - I'm definitely taking that advice of yours. My travel blog is set up just waiting for me to go somewhere.

TG - kids are so much more fun, fewer inhibitions make them great to work with.

Monica - My brother lives in Norway so I do plan to see that part of the world. Everywhere is great for it's own reasons.

Areli - I've just been lucky that life has sent me in a certain direction. I'd say 3 beautiful children was something amazing too. Definitely take them travelling, they'll love it.

Tutley - I haven't done much for a while, I miss the North East some great rivers up there. Did Southern Alps, usual suspects. Stayed at Rabioux campsite which rocks. The playwave is lit up until midnight. The trip to Thailand sounds great.

Amy - You can bring your bad self on any of my trips. And yes, I think you are the only one left, so hop to it!

 
At 4:13 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

And another wow! from me! You've done some amazing things :)

 
At 6:04 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Girl, you have been to places I only dream of!! It was so nice to hear about a tidbit about your life. A very exciting life! How's that sweater coming along? I am almost finished with a pair of socks, working on them now and then I will hopefully make a tank top for myself out of Cashmere yarn. I am going to be testing a pattern I designed for the tank top in the next few days. I know your here for me girlfriend!

 
At 8:25 pm, Blogger Cerridwen said...

I didn't know you were a kayaker!! Another knitter/kayaker!! Doubly cool!

 
At 9:08 am, Blogger Rain said...

Aurora - I don't think I've ever been classed as cool.

Seahorse - I just got lucky with opportunity to travel.

Knitpastis - Shout up if you need help, you know where I am.

Cerridwen - I haven't done any in a while, but can't wait to get back to it.

 
At 8:46 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Durham - that's where I come from! And, OMG, Peru!!! I'd never want to come home again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home