Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006

At arm's length

is precisely where I will be keeping all adult sized knitting from now on. In fact, right now I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot barge pole, actually scrap that, technically you could knit with barge poles.

It might seem like a sudden change of heart, but my abnormally long arms take all the fun out of knitting sleeves. Here they are in all 29 inch glory. Don't worry, the arms themselves aren't that long, just 23" from pit to wrist, but my liking for sleeves to reach halfway down my hands doesn't help.

The one sewn in is only tacked in temporarily so I could see the fit and try it on. I had completed them yesterday (I tend to knit like things simultaneously), but decided they were a bit too long and enough to niggle. I ripped the top shaping and about 50 rows so I could re-jig the increases on the way back up. It meant an extra day to fix it, but what's a day for something I know I'll wear to death if I get it right? The cuffs don't look that shaped in the photo, but you'll see how they look properly when worn. I'll probably do the sewing tomorrow as I'm having a day off from actually knitting.

*GASP*

So close to the end? You betcha!




There's the towel, officially thrown in.





That doesn't mean I won't be finishing it off, it just means I won't be getting myself worked up about getting it done on schedule. I think I could have had it done in the time, had I not had so many distractions throughout, but in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter. It's been fun seeing so many take part and I've found a lot of great new blogs to read.

If you've finished your Olympic knitting - Well Done! If not, keep it up, there are still a few days to go.

17 Comments:

At 2:01 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Rain, what a brave designer you are - the sleeves look GREAT! And now you can enjoy the process, rather than rush the waist shaping. You're a true athlete in my heart!

 
At 2:12 am, Blogger Stacey said...

The sweater looks beautiful. And coming from a fellow long armed person (23 inches as well, with a liking for sleeves covering the hand), I feel your pain.

 
At 3:40 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

Those sleeves look awsome! I want to see it on you now. I am so curious! I am eagerly anticipating its debut, so please don't put finishing off to long.

 
At 4:12 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

I'm so looking forward to seeing it actually worn. Someday I'm going to try to emulate you with the design-as-you-go thingy.

What an inspiration.

 
At 4:23 am, Blogger Bad Amy said...

OH NOOOOO!

'Tis better to have a good sweater that you'll love and love than a silly ol' gold medal. They're so gawdy anyway! Who needs that much bling?

Will you hate me if I tell you my arms are 16.5 inches pit to wrist? (Makes knitting sleeves a breeze, but nothing off the rack ever fits me well)

 
At 8:18 am, Blogger Rain said...

He he he. I feel devilishy naughty for giving up. Thanks for your kind words everyone.

J&M, it's nice to know I have plenty of time for the bottom shaping. I dread to think what I would have come up with in a hurry.

Areli, I will be working on it until it's done, it just could be up to a week after the Olympics before you see it completed.

Stacey, it's good to know I'm not the only one! and Amy, I don't hate you, I just laugh at your inability to reach things from high shelves ;)

Stef, go for it, it's easier than you think.

Aurora, I don't think I'd get in for the Commonwealth Games, Australia wouldn't let my brother stay. They asked him if he had a criminal record so he told Immigration that he didn't realise you needed one anymore. Serious humour failure on their part.

 
At 8:58 am, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Not sure if I'll finish either but then there are more important things in life than a virtual medal - like enjoying what you're doing and being happy with it. The cardi is looking fantastic. You should be very proud of it!
:-)

 
At 9:11 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

It looks superb Rain! And I agree, better to get it right and enjoy it than rush to get a silly medal!

 
At 2:54 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm giving you a big fat Gold for effort (even if you aren't on Team USA) :)
I think the sleeves look great as well.

 
At 9:12 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Girl, you are moving right along on this sweater. I blinked and you had two long sleeves done already! I like to have my sleeves down to my hands too unless they are 3/4 sleeves. Great job!

 
At 3:54 am, Blogger String Bean said...

I'm the same way. I hate when sleeves just hit the wrist. Any sleeve I make includes an extra inch or two for the-covering-of-the-hands.
Long arms runs in my family. My dad and I have been compared to gorillas. I feel your pain.

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Yay for the progress you've made, it looks fab. I too like sleeves to drape over my hands a bit, in a kind of New Romantic frilly way.

 
At 6:33 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh honey, put that towel away!! You have made a fabulous effort and I know you'll make it!! If not you certainly get gold for a great sweater!!

 
At 7:39 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I LOVE that sweater!

 
At 11:58 pm, Blogger Cerridwen said...

Aww, it's ok. We love you anyway. Even if you are a slacker. Then again, maybe I shouldn't talk...

Can't waite to see the finished product anyway, whenever that is!

 
At 11:52 am, Blogger Sharon J said...

Finished my knitting Olympics? I haven't even started! I've well and truly let the side down. I bet those Norwegians regret letting me on to their team ;-)

Seeing other people throw in the towel on certain projects makes me feel a whole lot better, especially as I've just been told by a friend that "it's about time I started seeing things through to the end". And that said by something who never actually starts anything, so doesn't have a problem with seeing them through.

~Sharon

 
At 5:50 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Cerridwen - I resemble that remark!

You folks rock. You've made me feel heaps better about not finishing.

Sharon, you couldn't help it. If ever you deserved a note from your Mum, this was it it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home