Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Off piste knitting

You might be wondering at which point I fell over during my Olympic event, but it appears to be linked to indulgence in a little too much apres-ski. I've had a few unexpected social engagements this week which have kept me away from my knitting - sort of.... I know they say don't drink and knit, but my project accompanied me to the pub last night. Even with the wine flowing freely I managed to get a few inches of my sleeves done without mistakes.

I know I'm way off on the timing, with 50% of the time gone and only 20% of my cardigan done it's going to be a desperate race to the finish. I was on target but I didn't like the neckline so I decided to rip the fronts back to the armholes to try something a bit different. It's probably just me being anal, but I like things to be just so and I'm much happier with it now.

It's hard to tell what it's like properly, you'll have to excuse the dodgy d.i.y. photo and the smeary mirror.

As I mentioned earlier, I've started the sleeves, it seemed most logical when I've just completed the arm shapings. That's code for I still don't know how I'm going to work the bottom.




I also changed my mind on the sleeves, rather than a turned back ribbed cuff, I went with a flared bell shape to match the way the bottom will flare out over my hips (I hope). The photo shows last night's progress.

I'll bring it in a bit tighter to my wrist and then start the sleeve increases. It seems to be going slowly, but I am knitting both sleeves at the same time. I've written the pattern already so it just means I have to get down to some serious knitting.

Although my chances of medal glory are fading, I'd like to congratulate Shelley Rudman on her Silver Medal in the Bob Skeleton. Shelley only entered the sport 4 years ago and received very little funding from official sources despite showing great promise. It was Shelley's village that raised the £3000 to pay for her equipment, needless to say she's done them proud. Well Done Shelley!

20 Comments:

At 1:21 pm, Blogger Emma said...

It looks AMAZING! You are so good at this. Will you publish the pattern later?

 
At 2:03 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

It looks wonderful. I love how the sleeve is going to flare out like that! Very cool! :)

 
At 4:33 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Looks great! I can't wait to see how you decide on the bottom. I like the color a lot, too.

 
At 6:26 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks.

I agree with you Nutty, it's much more important to have something right than to have it finished.

Emma, a few people have asked me about the pattern. I'll write it up properly in a few different sizes once I've finished. I'll have to alter it to fit a more standard body shape first.

 
At 7:23 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

It definitely looking good! I do like the style you've chosen for the sleeve ends/cuffs.

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

The flared bell sleeve is lovely. I can't wait to see the finished garment!

 
At 6:10 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh this is exciting. How will this turn out? Great idea with the flared ribbing. Go, girl, you can get that gold!!!

 
At 1:07 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I like the change to the neckline. It's very smooth. Better to be happy with the finished product than done in record time with something you'll never wear!

 
At 9:06 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Rain, I love it so far!! And go on you for not making mistakes while knitting and imbibing. I was never able to combine those two events :). I am looking forward to what you do with the bottom - and I adore the bell sleeves. If anyone can finish in time, it's you Rain! And I agree with you and others, better to have what you like and will wear, than finish by the deadline. GO RAIN!!!

 
At 7:17 am, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I really like the flared sleeve and I'm so with you that it's more important that you're happy with it than just looking to get it finished per se.

 
At 2:07 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

I love the way it's turning out. You're doing great whether you make the 'deadline' or not!

 
At 7:23 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Can't stop to chat, too busy knitting!

Thanks for the kind comments and encouragement.

 
At 11:49 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

It looks great to me....even with the self-done picture!!

 
At 3:26 am, Blogger knitfriendly said...

Way to go Rain! It is looking better and better!

 
At 5:50 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

I love the flared cuffs -- and watching your design process is such an inspiration! You go.

So, are you going to change the title of the cardi to "does this make my wrists look fat"?

 
At 11:38 pm, Blogger Bad Amy said...

You go-go-go girly! I've had to resort to pub knitting lately too in hopes of catching up - how funny!

Back to the stitches - good luck!

 
At 2:48 am, Blogger SoberHope said...

I can't wait to see the finished sweater. I <3 bell sleeves :)

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

While you're being ultra productive, I'm being totally unproductive. One pair of socks is all I've managed while I've 'been away'. Even Richard was surprised that I wasn't knitting more, considering the amount of yarn I asked him to bring to me. Poor guy, he must love me ;-) ~Sharon

 
At 9:12 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, I need your help "expertise" on something. I can't post it because I have a photo of the knitting to show you and the line out of a pattern .If you could email me from your email address so I could email this info back to you. Re: Tube Toporini pattern

I lost your email address.

Big Thanks

 
At 9:23 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, I got a phone call back from Zephyrstyle.com (Sarah was sweet enough to actually call me and give me the corrected directions from their pattern. So, I got my answer. Take care and talk at you soon I am sure.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home