Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, February 26, 2006

Just don't talk to me...

No really.

Actually I'm not having the serious humour failure I should be over this. There are no prizes for guessing what this used to be attached to...


Technically there was nothing outrageously wrong with it, but I thought it best to take it off. I'm really happy with the hip shaping, it fits perfectly. You can see the start of the curve coming into play on the fronts, again I'm happy with the way the curve is working, but feel it needs to be started a lot sooner. Had I left it, the whole cardigan would have been far too long, especially once the rib had been added too. On paper and with dangling the tape measure it seemed fine, but once I tried it on I could see I wouldn't be happy with it. Just to torture you with the thought of it, it's about 110 rows over 160 stitches at the widest point. I've gone back to where you last saw it, I simply unpicked the row where I joined in the new yarn to work top down. I could have cut it off - Areli has just done an excellent tutorial about it, but I have a natural aversion to scissors near my knitting.

The sleeves are now sewn in properly and I'm overjoyed with how the top half looks and fits. I know the bottom will be fine once I get back into it.
It's obviously put me back even further, but it's no biggie. Right now I'm far too tired for it to register, I had a really rough night with my wisdom teeth keeping me awake (and no that's not just an excuse to visit my incredibly hot new dentist).

On a much happier note...

I managed to find a matching ball for Daydream. Granted it cost 5 times the price of the ball it's replacing, but I'm pleased to have it. I've given up all hope of finding the missing ball.













I also picked up this beautiful wine coloured yarn. I don't have a project in mind so I got 600g to give me flexibility. It has quite a firm texture to it and although it's not the nicest feeling yarn in the world I think it will have fantastic drape. I'm envisioning something with a loose weave for the summer and possibly even something crocheted.





This also caught my eye. It's a strange colour, not grey and not beige either. It's so soft and I think it will probably be some form of sweater. I have 500g of it to play with. There was also some of this in dusky pink, but I have a similar colour mohair in my stash already and this feels similar too.

As usual if you recognise any of my mystery yarn, please shout up.

16 Comments:

At 6:40 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Ouch! Poor Rain! Keep your chin up and keep going - its not over till the flame goes out! Much better than waiting for the fat lady to sing :-)

 
At 9:19 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

I want to be able to design my own sweater! You are making me jealous;-) I don't care if you win the gold or not I just really, really want to see how it looks finished. Watching the process has been so interesting to me. It makes my fingers itchy, cause I want to try something of my own, but I haven't the faintest idea where to start. Maybe when I have some more experience under my belt.

And I am glad you found another ball, it's a bummer about the price, but now you can finish the cute little sweater.

 
At 3:25 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

I'm so impressed with your choice to undo/redo and make it perfect. I want to knit under your tutelage so I can make the perfect sweater for me, too. Man, what an inspiration. Sigh, sigh, sigh.

 
At 10:21 am, Blogger Rain said...

Sue, I think I was fighting a losing battle over it. I should have written the pattern before the Olympics really.

Aurora, thanks for the yarn suggestion, I'm not sure if it is Zhivago it's hard to tell in the photos of it, this is almost like a mohair, very downy to the touch.

Areli + Stef, it's easier than I make it look to design your own stuff. I'd do a post about how I figure things out once I've finished. It might not be the best way to design, but it gets the job done.

 
At 12:31 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That is going to be one perfect cardi when you've finished and, good for you! The time will be well spent if you get something you're truly happy with at the end.

The wine coloured yarn looks delicious. I can just see that crocheted into a very lovely creation.

I look forward to your post on designing. It's something I've not really had the nerve to do yet (other than small things) and I'm itching to do something truly creative.

 
At 1:49 pm, Blogger Sharon J said...

The yarn you're using for Daydream is so pretty. There are some lucky babies around you, that's for sure :) I still haven't finished Zane's jacket, y'know. To be honest, I think I'm gonna put it away for the next baby boy that comes along because there's no way it's going to fit him now. Babies grow so quickly, don't they? ~Sharon

 
At 1:49 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

That's a pain about the cardi but at least you'll be happy with it when it's done. You have a lot more patience than me!

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

You will be so happy when you do finish your cardi because it will fit like a dream! Great show of persistance and patience. I admire you for that. I am glad to see that you found another ball of the yarn you need. You are a gold medal winner in my book! Designing on the fly is worth major difficulty bonus points!

 
At 2:22 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Gorgeous yarn. I'm loving the last one!
Don't worry about the sweater. You are doing WAY more than I could. I'm super impressed!!

 
At 5:31 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

You have got me on the edge of my seat waiting to see the finished results of this sweater! How exciting!

 
At 2:02 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Yay for finding another ball for daydream (a very adorable baby sweater, by the way). Everytime I see more pictures of knits from Rowan Babies it makes me want to buy the book just so I can knit more baby stuff. :)

 
At 5:58 pm, Blogger Rain said...

I'm beginning to wonder if it's patience or stupidity. I can't wait to finish either.

I'm so happy to get the ball I need for the baby cardi.

Samantha, I really like the Rowan Babies book. There are a lot of patterns in it, many of them classic shapes that you can adapt

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

I can't wait to see how your sweater turns out. Good luck!

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

It has been very interesting watching this design evolve, I am still in awe! Thanks for the tutorial link too, that could come in very handy indeed.

 
At 4:22 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Rain, you could never be intrusive, especially with an email :). At least not to me.

 
At 10:07 am, Blogger Dina said...

Sorry to hear about the cardi, but I totally loved the design and hope you don't toss it in the frog pond :)

I'm thinking about knitting a sweater that inspired me to learn to knit, designed from the ground up (literally as yours, or should I say floor?), so we shall see!

Dina

 

Post a Comment

<< Home