Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Does My Bum Look Big In This?

It's the question you've all been waiting for. So...does my bum look big in this?
*Grin* I highly suspected it might, so don't feel you have to be kind. It probably isn't the best shape for my body and we've recently discussed this on Knittyboard, but I wanted to make it regardless. It's better than the usual potato sack shapes I tend to knit for myself. It also needs a new name, D.M.B.L.B.I.T? is a bit of a mouthful. Ideas on a postcard to...

I have mixed feelings about it. I tend to dislike things for a bit after I've made them, so this doesn't surprise me. Give me a week and I'll love it. I think you just get sick of looking at things and as I've worked on this exclusively for the past few weeks it's started to get on my nerves. There are a few bits I'd change if I made it again. I'd like to try something different on the curve, there's a small part of it that bunches on the bottom of the curve (it's worked too tight) and I only thought of a better solution after I'd put on the rib and collar. I wasn't undoing that for anything.


The curve in all it's glory (both back and fronts). The big creases are the hip increases, worked similarly to the bust shaping. The smaller ones are where the bunching happened, I worked 3tog to maintain the fully fashioned edge and despite working very loosely it was still too tight. I had planned it with a bit more swing, but found this method a lot easier to work into a semi-circle. Had I not reworked the huge section of the bottom that I took off it would have been 3 inches longer, I definitely did the right thing.

Thanks again to String Bean and Knitpastis for kindly offering to send buttons. I did manage to find the perfect buttons for it after a bit of searching. I initially bought brass ones, but wasn't keen and then found the green ones in the last place I looked.

I will put the pattern up for it in a few weeks, I'll jig it about a bit so it will fit standard sizes.


I'd like to thank you all for your support and encouragement during the olympics and beyond. You'll all been superstars and have kept me going when I wanted to frog the lot and give in. I really do appreciate you taking the time to keep coming back and leaving comments. You guys rock.

26 Comments:

At 8:10 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

No, your bum definitely doesn't look big in it and I think that cardi is drop dead gorgeous and you should be very proud of it. I love the buttons, too!
Hazel x

 
At 8:14 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

Definitely not! It is beautiful! The color lovely on you. Well done!

 
At 9:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gorgeous!

Wow you finished AND it looks great!
Bravissima!

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger Cerridwen said...

It looks great!! You did a fantastic job. I am in awe of your knitterly abilities!!

 
At 10:54 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh your sweater turned out gorgeous. I love the neckline and the sleeves. And the back looks very graceful, not big bummed.

You should be perfectly pleased with it!

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger Diane said...

No! your bum doesn't look big at all!...well done on finishing,it looks lovely,nice and cosy for this time of year and i think you deserve a medal by default!

 
At 6:17 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You really should get a medal for that. I adore the neckline on you-you look stunning! I also love those long sleeves. Wonderful job! I like the way it goes down around your bumm, but I think it might also be a gorgeous jacket if it were a bit shorter. :)I bet it looks great with jeans.

 
At 6:34 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

The curves both front and back are just scrumptious. I still can't believe you just picked up needles and knit it. Very nice buttons, too.

The neckline is just perfect, too. What a sweater! I wish I were tall enough to carry off the "under-bum" look.

 
At 7:55 am, Blogger aija said...

The shape it gives you is great! Love the buttons, too.

 
At 9:24 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks. It's such a relief to have it finished.

When I jig the pattern around I'll look into a shorter version too.

 
At 11:58 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think it looks great. i love the colour, it really suits you!

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Your amazing, looks so good on you and I like this ribbed front you did. Would like to see this on you in a pair of jeans too. A shorter version for some of us very short people too. I can't wait to see what's next!

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

Wow! It looks gorgeous! I'm in awe of the fact that it's not from a pre-existing pattern as well.

 
At 5:25 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh it turned out so nicely! I love the way it hugs your frame. And NO! You're butt doesn't look big in it at all! I just love the shaping of it. You should be so proud of it!

 
At 5:56 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

I think it looks fantastic! I love the shape, very feminine and soft. Does it souond dumb if I said it looks to me like being hugged by dragon wings? That's a good thing!

The colour is beautiful as well Congrats Rain!

 
At 8:15 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

Wow! I'm very impressed (and it takes a lot to impress me). I love the color, the shaping, the buttons, everything! It reminds me of Victorian era jackets. You just need a silk scarf and a cap with a feather in it.

 
At 1:43 am, Blogger Sharon J said...

You can't possibly be serious about your bum looking big? You have a very nice bum, if I may say so! I'll swap ya - my bum's practically non-existant (honestly, when viewed from the side, I go straight down, absolutely no booty whatsoever). And as for the cardi itself, well... what can I say? Very smart. It reminds me of a Victorian riding jacket. Well done.

~Sharon x

 
At 9:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job on your cardi, it's really lovely! I esp like the collar and bustshaping.

 
At 11:24 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

You look shapely, not big bummed!

Super good work! I hope you're proud - you should be, it's gorgeous!!!

 
At 11:59 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I think that it fits you perfectly! It will look great with a pair of jeans too. I love how it swoops from the back to the front with no cut lines but with one beautiful curve. Great job and congrautlations!

 
At 9:33 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

It looks fantastic, congrats!! I agree with several folks who have said it has a Victorian look to it, maybe Edwardian. I love that longline fit and flare look. Thanks for being kind enough to share the pattern with us too! I literally wouldn't know where to start in designing something like this :-)

 
At 12:36 am, Blogger Dina said...

Y.B.D.N.L.B.I.T. (Your Bum Does NOT Look Big In That)! Well done! I think the look is quite feminine -- very subtle -- and you look great in it!

 
At 9:11 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

I think it looks great and I totally LOVE the color and the buttons.

 
At 1:13 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks for all of your kind comments and the bum flattery! I don't really have such a complex about it, it was all a bit tongue in cheek, but hey, a little flattery goes a long way.

I'm so glad a few of you have mentioned a 'Victorian' look as that is what I had in mind. I love those shapes, but they usually look odd on my body.

Sharon, I think you've renamed it! Victorian Riding Coat it is.

I'll call the shorter version 'jacket' once I get to it. The pattern will be up soon I promise. Things are just a bit nuts here at the moment.

 
At 11:14 pm, Blogger Stacey said...

I meant to comment on this earlier, I love love love your cardigan! I'm looking for a nice cardi to make...

 
At 8:29 am, Blogger T said...

There it is! It's lovely and no your bum doesn't look big, you look gorgeous. I don't want it to have a new name though (although it's a good one) as DMBLBIT is what it will always be to me ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home