Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, March 04, 2006

For want of a button

Just a quicky post to officially declare my Olympic cardigan open. It will have to remain open too as I couldn't find any matching buttons for it in town today. I'm heading into the city on Monday so fingers crossed I'll find something. Aside from buttons there are a few stray ends to be sewn in, but the knitting is officially over.

Just so this isn't a photoless post, here is my recent charity shop swag. Since I inadvertently bought sock yarn a few weeks ago and was at a loss what to do with it, I decided I may as well do the obvious and knit socks. I only have the one set of sock needles (which were my Nana's) so I thought I'd better get some in. One of the charity shops in town always has needles in so I went for a shufty and came back with...

11 sets of sock needles (short DPNs)
6 pairs straights
2 circular needles
2 cable needles

for the grand sum of £6.

The sock needles were all bundled into sets, but not all of the same size. Although I had my needle gauge in my bag I couldn't bothered to sort them out so I bought the lot. I do have a few duplicate sets, but they will do as spares if I lose any (which I will). I bought the bakelite straights because I love them, I find wooden and plastic needles in bigger sizes too light, these are nice and sturdy. I got the circs because my Mum likes using them (I hate them with a passion).

A thought to leave you with - 692 sts on 7 DPNs for 14 rounds, not to mention the short rows for the collar. I ought to be a gibbering wreck rocking in the corner, so I'm about to cast on into the sanctury of baby knitting. A little bit of something small will return my sanity before I carry on with my cable cardi.

14 Comments:

At 10:48 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Ooooh! Nice swag. I do love a good bargain. I haven't been round the charity shops for a while. That could be my lunchtime business this week. :-)

 
At 3:34 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I was so happy to read your blog today and see you posting that you bought some sock yarn and DNPS! Yippi! Hey,if you end up not liking it on the metal Dpns, try to knit socks on the bamboo ones. It seems to not be so hard on your hands. I am just tickled that you want to knit socks!

 
At 3:39 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, You have seen those wooden looking buttons (plastic) I bought on my blog about two weeks ago? I would be more than happy to just give you those buttons for your sweater if you like them. Let me know and I will mail them right out.

 
At 5:39 am, Blogger aija said...

That's an awesome haul! Yay for socks ahead too :)

 
At 7:37 am, Blogger String Bean said...

What kind of buttons do you want? I have two huge coffee cans full of buttons. I have wooden, plastic, glass, shell, vintage, brass, metal, cloth covered ...you get the idea.
You must buy at least one pair of wooden dpns! I only buy wooden needles. They're much nicer to work with and they're lighter. Now, when I use aluminum, I feel like I'm lifting weights.

 
At 11:34 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Great bargains! Looking forward to seeing the cardi :)

 
At 11:58 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks for your kind offers of buttons Knitpastis and StringBean. I'm one of those people that doesn't know what they want until they see it, so I'll see what the city shops have to offer. Thanks though, I really do appreciate it.

I've never wanted to knit socks before, I didn't see the point, but now I want to see what all the hype is about. All the cool kids seem to be doing it ;)

 
At 2:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that's definitely what I call a bargain! I shouldn't worry about having duplicates - I'm sure there will be times when you've got something on your dpns and need another set for something else in exactly the same size. Happens to me all the time. And y'know, I reckon you're gonna love those socks when you've finished them. When it's cold, there's nothing like a pair of wooly socks for keeping your trotters warm.

~Sharon J

 
At 5:18 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Look at all the needles you got! That's quite a lot, you sure have a knack for shopping!

 
At 2:11 pm, Blogger Dina said...

You scored a bahgain, dahling! And all for a button!

692 sts? Wait ... I'll bring you a pint or two ... that should ease your nerves as you sew on that button!

Can't wait to see your socks!

 
At 5:11 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

What a great bargain haul and I can't wait to see your cardi!

 
At 9:46 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Aurora - I've been buying up unlabelled seconds and mill ends from a shop I go to. It's mostly sirdar only a fifth or sixth of the usual price. I'm yet to find anything wrong with any of it. I bought a load of Town and Country self striping sock yarn without realising what it was.

Dina - I could do with that pint!

Cardigan coming soon folks, I bought the perfect buttons today.

 
At 12:00 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is quite a haul, our charity shops seem to hide the needles! Looking forward to seeing the cardigan, well done for sticking with it.

 
At 1:16 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

You did good on your needle find! I had no idea there were needles made of bakelite! How cool is that?! But that 692 sts for 14 rounds...break out the Absinthe!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home