Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, November 12, 2006

Knitting Pixies at it again

It's a conspiracy. The Knitting Pixies are picking on me. I've been planning to make Viveka ever since it that issue of Knitty came out. I chose the yarn a few weeks ago, I had enough left over from Starsky for another sweater and as I'm into brown at the moment it seemed an excellent choice to compliment my other clothes. I knew I have enough for the whole sweater and went to retrieve it. I had a full 400g ball and a half kept together in a bag, but I saw the whole ball on it's own, grabbed it and got on with the project. When I've come to make the sleeves the half ball is missing. Over the past three days I have turned the house upside down, gone through my stash twice, looked under, in, on and around every last item in the house and it's gone. There's only one explanation. The Pixies have been to visit. I know I've been naughty and my stash is a mess, but they didn't have to punish me. I was in the middle of a reorganise involving a new storage system. I was trying to be good. I should be able to get another ball of the same dye lot but it still makes me grumpy.

I've finished the body, but I want to rip back and put in another inch or so onto the armhole before I shape the shoulders, it's not too tight but there's not a lot of space there at all, the 6" given in the pattern doesn't seem enough even though it drops over the shoulders. The V is also a lot lower than I anticipated, it doesn't look that deep in the modelled picture so I'm tempted to knit a rib neck for a few rows before doing the crochet edging. I will be wearing something underneath it anyway, but I still think I'd prefer the neck to come a little higher. I was also added in shaping to the sides to get the fit I wanted. I worked in the round to the neck and then worked back and forth to the armholes, where I split the work and knitted each of the fronts and back simultaneously. I don't know if that makes things go any quicker, but it always feels like it does. I'm pleased with it so far, but I'd be even more pleased if it had sleeves. Are you reading this Pixies? Give it up.

I also wanted to show you some of the wonderful knitting related gifts that I was very fortunate to receive for my birthday.

I was showered with froggy cuteness by Dreamcatcher and Nanatoo. I'm already plotting uses for the buttons and pins. Coincidentally the frog stitch markers from Dreamcatcher are the same as the ones for my bloggiversary draw. We must have the same excellent taste ;) They have incredibly pretty hand painted beads on them.

Nanatoo also sent some gorgeous stitch markers that were made by Mary-Lou who runs an online store - MLQ Knits, selling these plus other beautiful designs. Carrie Anne carved a fantastic stamp for me so I can print up little cards to go with knitted gifts - the blasted Pixies have also done a runner with my ink pad so I can't show you it in action yet. The adorable sheep needles are from Hazel which she made herself - these plus other designs are now available at Knits & Glitz. Warning - they seriously impede your knitting speed because you have to keep stopping to admire how cute they are.

I was blown away by your kindness. Thank you all very much. Thanks also to everyone who left birthday wishes and bloggiversary congratulations. I'll do the draw for the stitch markers tomorrow night so watch this space.

24 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

those pixies!! it can test a persons disposition!
hope you find that skein, but if not, you can get another dye lot and alternate rows in the sleeves, it'll probably blend.
:-)

 
At 2:01 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I really hope you can find another skein. I am so glad to see you knitting this up. I haven't seen one yet. The frog buttons are just the cutest and the silver sts markers.

 
At 4:13 pm, Blogger Pinkwool said...

Darn those pixies!! You know that other ball will turn up after you go buy another ball and knit the sleeves, right?

Love the sheepie needles, Too cute!

 
At 4:39 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

The pixies have been at your house, too? My, they've been busy. I hope they return your yarn.

Lovely looking sweater. I always feel like knitting front/back or two sleeves simultaneously makes it go faster, too. Some sort of time warp effect, or a glitch in the space/time continuum?

 
At 4:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great array of goodies! Better lock them up to keep them out of the clutches of those blasted knitting pixies.

 
At 5:27 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Fluffy's right. The only way to ensure that the ball shows up is to buy a new one!

Those needles are adorable!

 
At 5:36 pm, Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Perhaps the pixies are off on a convention with the KP (knitting police) that Jo of Celtic Memory Yarns mentions in her blog. We all need to go armed with long thing steel needles and do this lot in! The remaining skein will turn up about 15 mins after you have balled up the new skein and started knitting!

 
At 6:03 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Oh yes, I agree, the Pixies will bring the ball back when you've bought a new one :D

The adjustments you're making to the pattern are great, I like the idea of the ribbed edge to the neckline.

 
At 7:14 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Isn't that just really annoying when you lose something like that. I thought I had pixies here too the other day when I had to look high and low for the ONLY split ring I had in a particular size which I desperately needed in order to finish a piece. It had been there on the the table and the next minute vanished into thin air. Guess where I found it? It had mysteriously attached itself around my bent nose pliers just below the handle managing to disguise itself like a chameleon! So, all my desperate crawling around under tables and chairs like a loon hunting for the darn thing was in vain!

Viveka is looking good so far and I bet, when you stop looking for the yarn, it'll turn up just like my split ring did.

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Dear Pixies,
Please return Rain's yarn asap. I'm sure if you return it very soon she'll knit you a hat each.
Daisy x

 
At 10:58 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Sounds like you're at the "rip it mostly back and redo" part of the sweater. The Pixies are forgiving; if you reknit the whole dratted sweater, they'll return the ball.

Ask them if they know where my finished sock from three years ago is, okay?

Nice gifts, too!

 
At 11:56 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Happy belated B-day and anniversary!!!!
I'm a bit behind with catching up with everyone, so i hope you had a smashing day!

Re: Pixies - leave your camera running and see if you can catch them in action!
(time for me to take more drugs...)

 
At 12:58 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Pesky pixies! Bring back that yarn this instant! I reckon it might be the Pictsies though, the Nac Mac Feegles ... although it doesn't sound like your whole house has been turned upside down so maybe not :-D Hope that yarn turns up asap though, look forward to seeing Viveca completed :-)

 
At 4:26 am, Blogger Charity said...

Oh, those pixies! I hope it turns out well in the end - love the progess you've made!

 
At 4:34 am, Blogger Zonda said...

Darned pixies!! I hope you find the hiding yarn! Lovely giftees! Vivika is looking good! :)

 
At 8:37 am, Blogger T said...

How annoying :( Does Cassie have a pouch like Humphrey Cushion? It could be in there.

That's my fave pattern from the last knitty and it'll be great when you've finished fiddling with it :)

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger Piglottie said...

Naughty pixies - but at least you've got some divine stuff to console you.

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Diane said...

I LOVE those sheepy needles.....how cute and so very clever....you had some very lovely pressies! I hope you track down that disappearing yarn!Maybe you should check Cassies beddie byes??:0)

 
At 3:49 pm, Blogger Alisha said...

Your sweater is looking so nice.

I love all your treats!! The sheep needles are so darn cute!!

 
At 9:30 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

I'm amazed how busy the pixies are. They hide my stitch markers from time to time, but I don't think they've actually stolen yarn yet.

Happy B-day!!!!!

 
At 10:02 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

I thought the pixies couldn't strike around your birthay! It just isn't right!
Love the presents!

 
At 9:35 am, Blogger Faerynuff said...

What a lovely lot of loot!

Hope you find the the other ball of yarn :)

Don't worry about my christmas cake - it'll get at least another half bottle of brandy before Christmas Eve!

 
At 9:38 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

ugh. the pixies are at it again! good luck! they made off with my morehouse merino.

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Those pixies again! I hope everything works out yarn wise, the sweater is looking great.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home