Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Monday, October 30, 2006

And then there were two...

Mrs. Beeton was a name I grew up with. She was the Delia Smith (Martha Stewart) of the victorian era. Her books on household management and cookery changed the lives of many women of her time with their no nonsense approach and are still in print today albeit updated. Her cookbook accompanied me to university and saw me through the early trials and triumphs of running my own kitchen. The BBC did a fantastic dramatisation of her life recently which was fascinating. The matriarch who led a household revolution turned out to be a slip of a girl of 21 with a drive and ambition that saw her transform women's publications.

I was delighted to see a pattern named after her, especially when I read why it was - it summed up her spirit exactly and managed to be incredibly pretty in the process. I have finally completed my own pair.

I can't tell you much about the yarn, it was 10p a ball in a charity shop and came unlabelled. The second I saw them together they were destined for this pattern. It's also a very happy coincidence that the plain purple is a very close match to the pashmina (Yes, Jen I know!) that my Mum has just bought for me. I made them a little longer than usual given that I have monkey arms and often have a bit of a gap at the cuff with some of my clothes.

I love these - both the look and making them and plan on one more pair for myself in black - cotton angora for the main part and the frill in some mystery yarn with a silver thread that's been in my stash for ages - I only have a tiny bit let and I'm so glad I never threw it out, it's perfect for these. I'm yet to use beads as per the pattern - down to supply issues rather than an aversion to knitting with them, but black won't be difficult to match so I hope to use them next time.

34 Comments:

At 8:23 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those are gorgeous, I bet with beads the next ones will be awesome!

 
At 9:08 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

perfect color match! lovely and cosy.
:-)

 
At 10:07 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

Beautiful! These are on my "someday" list of things to make!

 
At 12:29 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

Oooooo...those are so pretty!!

 
At 12:50 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Those are beautiful and will be just the trick to keep drafts from creeping up your wrists! The black ones sound very dressy.

 
At 12:54 am, Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Beautiful Mrs. Beeton's. Thanks for bringing me the story of Mrs. B. What a gal! You have convinced me that I have to make a pair and real quick!

 
At 8:36 am, Blogger artyfartykat said...

They are not just beautiful but practical too!
I too have monkey arms and these are the perfect answer to the draught problem!!

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger Daisy said...

Wish I'd seen the Mrs Beeton programme - hopefully it'll transfer onto BBC1/2 at some time!
Your Mrs Beetons look fab and very warm. Am going to have to make some myself I think!

 
At 9:51 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

I love this pattern and your version look wonderful. I love the colours.

 
At 1:34 pm, Blogger T said...

They're gorgeous Rain, really 'you'. Mum bought you a pashmina? How lovely :)

 
At 2:15 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

How purty! I'm loving purple this season too, I really enjoy the combination of heathered and solid purple yarn that you chose!

*off to rummage in stash for similar combo*

 
At 3:24 pm, Blogger Diane said...

I'm going to have a go at them! They look absolutely BRILL!!!i love the colour too!!

 
At 4:03 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

They look so cute!! :)

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger Charity said...

Beautiful! I'm glad to see you've finally made a pair for yourself! :0)

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

I've been waiting for you to finish these ;-)

Lovely colors!!! And I like the longer-cuff modifications. Monkey arms or no, that's just plain smart.

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

They are beautiful! Enjoy them! You did a great job! :)

 
At 5:49 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the color combination. Amazing that it matches that pashmina so well! I also LOVED the video blog entry -- your sleepy doggie is so cute!! Happy Halloween!

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Absolutely stunning, the colours are gorgeous - and what an amazing yarn find!

Looking forward to seeing your black version.

 
At 7:23 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Yay! Something for yourself. And finally, it's the Beetons! You've made so many it's amazing that you didn't get sick of them and give up on your own. Lovely color!

 
At 9:36 pm, Blogger Ling said...

Love the Mrs Beetons. Gorgeous!

 
At 5:27 am, Blogger cpurl17 said...

I love those Mrs. Beetons--I didn't know her story until I read your blog. I'll have to keep and eye out and hope the program you mentioned shows up on Public television over on my side of the pond someday!

 
At 7:39 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pashmina!! No more laughing at mine now.

 
At 2:52 pm, Blogger amanda said...

those are awesome - what a fun, quick and practical knit!

 
At 11:50 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Ooh very pretty!

 
At 2:47 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Divine! I have that pattern on my list, and have for some time, but haven't gotten to it. Perhaps I will.

Now I'm all caught up with your blog. Hooray!

I hope your back is feeling better!

 
At 2:20 pm, Blogger soapy said...

abosolutely gorgoeus! Hope you feel better soon! Sorry about the trips back & forth to the hospital still!!

 
At 11:06 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Those are gorgeous! How great that the yarn was such a bargain too :)

 
At 1:12 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Those are so pretty! I love those colours together!

 
At 2:49 pm, Blogger Dina said...

A lovely post on Mrs. Beeton ... I really, really, really need to knit up a pair already. You wear those colors well!

 
At 9:00 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

Those are very lovely Mrs. Beetons! Beautiful colors.

 
At 11:38 am, Blogger Jerry said...

As usual, they're gorgeous! They match the sweater you're wearing in your profile pic. I'd have made those for my mother if she were still alive. Keep up the great work Rain!

 
At 7:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh I love your Mrs. Beetons! I was thinking of making some in black myself. It's on my list anyway.

 
At 8:34 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said...

Those yarns look so good together and what a bargain too

 
At 5:29 pm, Blogger Lindsey said...

Those are beautiful colours you've picked. All yummy & berry like.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home