Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Last Minute Knitted Gifts

I work best under pressure which is a good thing because I do everything at the last minute. So I have to admit to feeling more than a little smug when I finished a birthday present with a whole 2 days to go before I needed to post it (I know, I know, I can hear the derisory laughter from here, but trust me that's organised). It was a little late in the day to carry on with a bigger project so I took advantage of my self-satisfied mood to do a bit of charity knitting. Oh how pride comes before a fall. I'd made my friend Em some green Mrs Beetons to compliment the Branching Out I made for her last year, only when I pulled out the bag of scraps to make little hats from I found a tiny amount of the yarn I'd used and it really didn't look good with the green of the Mrs B's. I was traumatised, they wouldn't do. I quickly calculated the time left (+ washing and drying time) and determined I could just squeeze in another pair. With a new colour scheme in mind I went stash diving and couldn't find the yarn I wanted to use. Panic stations! (I lied about the working well under pressure bit). Plan B. Seek suitable yarn and find another project. I actually found the perfect yarn for Em - Patons Le Weekend (soft mohair/acrylic) in beige. It's really cuddly and non-itchy and the exact right amount (used double) to make Fetching. Phew. Only you can't see them because I was in such a hurry I packaged them up before I remembered to take a photo. The Mrs B's won't go to waste. There's another birthday at the end of next month for which I'd already pencilled in 'something green'. Now that's organised! ;)

25 Comments:

At 7:42 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh all that build up and no picture! :-( I'm sure they looked great, and I did enjoy the story!

 
At 7:51 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Arr! Ye be a scurvey wnch not to be postin' a picture!

 
At 7:58 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Agggh, nightmare!! The Mrs B's you made look great though, and I know the Fetching gloves would have done too. I wore mine at work today as it got a bit nippy and they worked a treat - thanks once again :D

 
At 8:56 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Ooooh, love the green Mrs. B's! It's getting cooler here already, and those look like just the thing to transition into fall!

 
At 9:13 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

i was laughing so hard- I know those moments, when you have a plan and it better work...
and often, there is "nothing" just right in the stash as well...

 
At 9:59 pm, Blogger Charity said...

The important thing is that the package was sent! Everything else is blog fodder :0)

 
At 10:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely Branching Out -- what yarn did you use?

Don't feel bad about scrambling to finish gifts at the last moment. It's the natural order of things.

 
At 10:22 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Very nice!! You did really well!

 
At 10:27 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Thanks for the reminder - I must get knitting some Mrs Bs for work...

 
At 10:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are (almost) a virtuous person, and to be commended! - but no pictures? - tsk! OTOH, I know I am not a virtuous person ... I am only just finishing my mother's birthday present - her birthday was last sunday, and I still need to do an edging (which means a shopping expedition tomorrow). She was remarkably sniffy when I said she would get it soon - bearing in mind that my sister's birthday scarf took 4 months to get to her, she was afraid that I might have sent it to a magazine first ...!

 
At 12:05 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

So glad to hear you will be knitting Fetching. I love that pattern.

 
At 1:53 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

The Mrs Beetons look great in the greens, and a lovely Branching Out too :-)

 
At 4:47 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Once again, you pull the perfect rabbit from the hat. Your panic stations work better than mine.

 
At 8:48 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you manage to get stuff done and out! Think I should take you as an excample!!!!!

 
At 8:49 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry I also ment to say that i love your Mrs B's...DOH me

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger Badger said...

Very pretty Mrs B's there!

 
At 10:55 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Glad you got sorted in the end! I love the green Mrs Bs!

 
At 12:15 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Whew *wiping forehead* ... I got in a panic just reading that! Eeeeeep. I'm glad everything worked out. And your Mrs B's look great!

 
At 1:21 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

Great job on finishing on time. Great Beatons!

 
At 1:39 pm, Blogger T said...

I'm glad you managed to knit that jumper for yourself before you got back to knitting for all your friends and family ;o)

 
At 2:20 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks Ladies. It'll be November before I can get a pic of Fetching, but I will!

Rachel - Branching Out was done in mystery yarn from my stash, a lot of it was inherited so I have no idea where stuff came from or what it is.

Mary-Lou - you shocker, but I'm sure the wait will be worth it.

T - lol, there are only 2 presents left to make this year which leaves months of knitting time for me!

 
At 5:00 pm, Blogger Diane said...

Very resourceful!:0) Always good to have a little something in reserve!
I hope your friend enjoys them :0)

 
At 10:08 pm, Blogger Baigneuse said...

The Mrs. Beetons you made are lovely! I'm sure they'll make great gifts for someone soon. The branching out scarf looked really good too.

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Yet another lovely pair of Mrs B's! :-) Looking forward to seeing the photo of Fetching when possible.

 
At 6:41 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Ha! "Something green"--I love it.

Very quick thinking once Plan A fell, through. I am very impressed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home