Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, August 26, 2006

Honey I'm Home


Not that you knew I'd gone anywhere in the first place! I've been on holiday for a few days in the Lake District which is in the far North West of England - an absolutely stunning art of the world. It was a bit of a last minute jaunt which I really enjoyed despite not taking any knitting with me - not for the want of reminders.

I mentioned in the last few posts about some gift knitting that I'd done. It's now reached the intended recipients so I can show it off. I could have done so before I went away if I hadn't neglected to take photos before I packaged them up. I usually remember such things on the way to the post office.

First off I made a pair of Mrs Beetons for KnitYoga.


I used Sirdar Silky Look in Raspberry for the contrast frill and Debbie Bliss Cathay in Old Rose for the main colour. I went down a needle size over all as the the Cathay doesn't suit being
worked on needles that are a tad too big for it. It made the cast off edge a little tight to pull over the hand but was otherwise ok. I can't decide if I like Cathay, it looks and feels wonderful, but splits like mad while you work with it and shows up every slightly wonky stitch far too well for my liking. It also didn't look right for the picot edge that is supposed to go around the top which I decided to miss out. Again I didn't put beads on as I had a 'mare trying to find the right sizes and colours to match despite hunting high and low.


I also made Fetching also from Knitty for Carrie Anne who hosts the fantastic BritKnitCast (new episode out yesterday!)

I made these from Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran in wine. The pattern only takes one ball. I loved it for it's soft velvety feel and excellent stitch definition, but was disappointed that the colour runs when washed. It's a simple pattern that works up in no time.

28 Comments:

At 7:08 pm, Blogger soapy said...

Cute Ms Beatons & love the Fetching!
What an absolutely beautiful sky too!
Enjoy!

 
At 7:16 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I love the "Danger of Sheep" sign :-) Great new photo in your sidebar too!

Lovely wrister-type thingummies, I known what you mean about the Cathay though. Not impressed that the DB yarn runs in the wash, will have to watch out if I wash my Hufflepuff scarf :-o

 
At 10:11 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

I love your Fetching--I didn't really "feel" that pattern, but now after seeing yours..hmmm.

Love the new profile pic too!

 
At 10:13 pm, Blogger T said...

I'd love to go to the North West one day, I've not been to the Lakes ever. Your new picture is gorgeous, you look lovely in that colour :) Smashing gifts! :D

 
At 10:25 pm, Blogger Piglottie said...

Lovely pic of the Lakes, one of my favourite places too. The gifts look great, especially like Fetching. Thanks for the info on Cathay, think I shall steer clear of it!

 
At 4:27 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Some day I'll get to the Lakes. The bizarre thing about studying English writers is that some portions of Britain "seem" familiar. I've never been there, but the characters have!

Great gifts. Good to know about the yarns.

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger Becky said...

I really like the Mrs. Beeton's done in the smoother yarn. They look really good.

 
At 10:10 am, Blogger Modelwidow said...

Glad you had a good time in the Lakes (lovely place). Fetching look rather good, nicer than the originals.

 
At 11:41 am, Blogger acrylik said...

Once again thank you for the fab wristers!! The Mrs Beetons are extremely cool too.

I love the photo of the Lakes, looks like you enjoyed yourself and the weather held out! Your new sidebar photo is lovely too.

 
At 1:32 pm, Blogger Rain said...

DC - I was really surprised that it ran.

Bezzie - I wasn't convinced with the pattern either, but liked the result. I'd go for 2 balls and do them longer next time though.

T - get thy bottom to The Lakes, it's a wonderful place.

Piglottie - The Cathay looks good when you stick to the recommended gauge, it's the splitting that got on my nerves most.

Stef - The Lakes truly are wonderful and well worth the visit if you get the chance.

Carrie Anne - You should have seen the photos from the day before, I was all windswept and drenched up in the fells.

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger StarKnits said...

those pix are beautiful. your knitting is great too! thanks for stopping by my blog.

 
At 2:32 pm, Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Welcome Home! Seeing your Mrs. Beeton's makes me want to try a pair!
About the sweater I am knitting, you do start with 62 stitches when you use the dpns, cast on 12 more stitches, then take off 18 as you go down the sleeve and are supposed to end up with 36 stitches - that is the problem. You are younger than I, but is that something to do with new math?

 
At 2:41 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

I love those Mrs Beatons. The colours are fabulous. Fetching look great too. An easy knit??

What beautiful scenery ... I'm glad you had a good trip. :)

 
At 4:53 pm, Blogger Charity said...

The gift knitting is great! Both look really well done - I'd love to make up some Mrs. Beetons :0)

That photo is amazing! What an incredible place to visit.

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

And you thought I took a pretty pic on my vacation. That is an absolutely stunning view! Wow!

I love the colors on the Beetons =)

 
At 7:28 pm, Blogger SylvChezPlum said...

Love both pairs, they're so on my must-knit list too...

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger Badger said...

Great pics (and nice one of you!) and I love the Mrs Beetons :)

 
At 9:17 pm, Blogger Ling said...

Love the Mrs Beatons and Fetching. I think I'd like to try Fetching after seeing yours.

I'm off to the Lakes in October and I'm really looking forward to it especially the yarns stores on the way.

 
At 9:31 pm, Blogger Dina said...

What a beautiful place for a holiday!

Love the colors of the wristwarmers and your sidebar pic, too!

 
At 6:15 am, Blogger Dipsy Doodle said...

I absolutely adore your Fetchings, they're truly gorgeous! And so are the Ms Beatons, very cute! Fantastic work!

Dipsy D.
http://www.millharrow.com/weblog

 
At 11:23 am, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

fabulous wristwarmers!!!
Hope you had a nice relaxing time while you were away!

 
At 2:41 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Now that is a beautiful place you visited. I love how your Fetching turned out. It's in my plans for this winter to make a pair, hopefully.LOL Missed ya!

 
At 4:25 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

I love both of those! Did "Fetching" take just one ball of DB Cashmerino Aran total, or one ball for each wristwarmer? I have some of that in my stash that I might like to use up on a project like this.

Shocked to hear the color runs, though! That's unfortunate.

 
At 6:44 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Fetching is soooo cute! I hate that it runs though....what a disappointment for you! :)

 
At 12:11 pm, Blogger Kath said...

With the price of DB you'd expect more quality wouldn't you? Both the mitts look great and I've got to knit them now! Isn't it funny how you like patterns better after seeing other people kntting them up?

 
At 8:20 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

Your Fetchings are very fetching! That's an absolutely lovely color.

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

What a beautiful picture of the lake. Great job on both FOs! :)

 
At 3:44 am, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Ooh, pretty pretty gifties! I might have to make the Ms. Beatons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home