Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Friday, July 14, 2006

Swimming in Yarn

I think it's every knitter's dream to be swimming in yarn. Well I came pretty close yesterday. Think ball pit, but yarn instead. Yarn shopping local to me can be a bit limited with mainly markets selling acrylics and a few Sirdar dominant shops. To get anything a bit more adventurous it's a trip to Liverpool or Manchester. Still when my LYS has a sale it's worth a wander in. They don't tend to discount the usual stock as it's slightly cheaper anyway, but they do bring in packs of yarn heavily discounted. Most of it (Sirdar/Patons) I can get cheaper at a warehouse in Liverpool but there are always a few gems hiding away. The packs of yarn are just piled up in a heap on the floor for you to explore at your own peril. At one point I was one foot outside the pile and one foot in the middle and firmly stuck knee deep at full leg stretch and the owner and my mother were far to busy laughing to help me. My troubles were worth it.
Hiding away at the very bottom were two 500g packs of Jaeger Mohair Art in Cigar and Goldfield for £15 each. They're beautiful and so soft. I know my stash is mohair-tastic but this was a very welcome addition. It's not the slightest bit itchy and feels divine. Very pettable. I'm thinking of making some very simple classic cardigans out of it.

Feeling pretty pleased with myself I wandered into one of the charity shops in town for a nosy at the books and struck gold. I was pretty pleased to find 'Traditional Island Knitting' by Pam Dawson (including patterns from The Channel Islands, Shetland, Aran, Fair Isle, The Falklands and Iceland), but that was only the tip of the iceberg. Tucked away were a set of dodgy looking 70s craft books - Magic Touch, Fashion and Homecrafts by Mary Harding. It came out in 1975 and the 5 volumes contain mostly knitting, crochet and sewing with a few bits on weaving, beading and embroidery plus a few other innocuous crafts. A surprising number of the patterns are very wearable and with only 2 sewing patterns missing (ones I certainly won't miss) I'm in for some serious crafting time. Granted I won't be knitting myself angora thermal underwear (no really, don't get any ideas), but there are some gorgeous coats which are a good incentive to improve my sewing skills and there are a plethora of knitting and crochet patterns begging to be made. All 6 items were 50p each. Bargainous!

As for my knitting I'm on the sleeves of James's navy blue cardigan and my green cable cardi. My eyes struggle with dark colours at night so I'm working on both projects at different times of the day.

20 Comments:

At 12:42 am, Blogger soapy said...

what delicious yarns!! I bet you'll turn them into a beautiful piece!

 
At 1:13 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

lovely yarn and colors. I think they are also machine washable. it is definitely the steal of the century, £15 for a pack of 10? amazing!

 
At 3:46 am, Blogger Zonda said...

Lovely yarns!! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

Here's hoping I don't post like 3 times again..sorry! ;)

 
At 7:03 am, Blogger Charity said...

Lovely, lovely yarn! Mohair is so wonderful...
Lucky you with the books, too! You know how I love the bargains!

 
At 7:14 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Wow, that Jaeger was a stonking bargain! Great book finds too.

 
At 10:28 am, Blogger acrylik said...

I can just see you diving into those yarns! Excellent finds, as usual, you always seem to come up with some fantastic bargains.

 
At 11:03 am, Blogger Rain said...

hpny, they are machine washable, but I still tend to do my sweaters by hand. I get a bit paranoid about what the machine may do to them.

Zonda, lol, you're forgiven

Aurora, NO! Definintely not.

You all know I'm into my bargains and I think this beats most. I can't stop stoking the mohair.

 
At 1:36 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Oh, I LOVE a good bargain... the word 'clearance' practially raises goosebumps on my ams... and it looks like you've found a bunch of great patterns! I'm not a mohair fan myself, but the cigar color is magnificent... can't wait to see what you do with it!

 
At 2:09 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh wow! You hit paydirt! Nice score! (Both on the yarn and the books - and please don't tell me that's a knitted workout outfit)

 
At 6:53 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Oh yes, bargaintastic! The mohair looks utterly wonderful. And the patterns you picked up look really good too. it's amazing how things from 30 years ago or longer can look so "now" (that's fashion for you I guess!)

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Badger said...

That jaeger was a total bargain! You clearly have your yarn finding skills perfectly honed!

 
At 5:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well done on the haul! I just love getting a bargain! Can't wait to see what you do with the beautiful mohair.

 
At 9:06 pm, Blogger Batty said...

Great haul! I'd stay away from the angora undies, though...

The mohair is fab. I fingered a couple of skeins of it the other day, but had to put it back until my WIP stuff is done. It comes in such pretty colors.

 
At 1:54 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I like the darker mohair yarn, it's pretty and the striped sweater.

 
At 4:31 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

That knit underwear reminds me of Beverly Cleary's Ellen Tebbits, who has to hide her terrible secret of wearing woolen underwear.

Rolling in yarn does sound like a fantasy come true. Lucky you.

 
At 7:17 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Yay - more bargains - keep 'em coming!!! I'm thinking of head hunting you as my yarn bargain finder. LOL Everything you found looks great!

 
At 10:29 pm, Blogger Peg-woolinmysoup said...

Lucky finds! I know what you mean about knitting on dark colours at night! Difficult!

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger Rain said...

TG, that is indeed a knitted workout outfit - in angora! There are some truly seventies horrors lurking in there, but quite a few modern looking pieces too.

DC, I do like the cyclic nature of fashion, but please, let them skip the 80s.

Batty, I'm a mohair addict, I think I need help.

KY, lol, it's just pure chance.

 
At 6:37 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Gorgeous yarns in lovely colors, and what nice bargains as well.

I adore the "Shape up for winter" photo. Hysterical!

 
At 4:18 am, Blogger Bezzie said...

What a score! I love those retro books....hee hee, horizontal stripe underpants....um, yeah!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home