Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006

The Frog Bin

Where old projects go to die...

I have a load of old UFOs that span back about 10 years, things started and for some reason never finished. I think my nomadic lifestyle is to blame with my university and military years seeing me shift my stuff across the country and around Europe meaning projects got left behind. As I've found different things I've either decided to finish or rip them depending on what it is. I recently found more that I dumped into the frog bin for recycling but have changed my mind and decided I might keep them after all. Granted I'm no longer the skinny teenager that cast them on, but what's a few inches between old friends? Thank goodness knitting stretches.

I'd forgotten all about this one, I went through a phase of liking very plain knitwear that I usually did on a machine for speed. I didn't fancy the chances of this mohair getting through with being mangled so I adapted the machine pattern I'd written and started by hand. It was a time when rolled hems were all the rage and it was a good excuse to be lazy and leave off a rib. The bit still on the needles was a hood I'd planned to put on, but now don't like the idea of. I reckon a 2x2 rib would be the best thing for the bottom and cuffs but will wait to see what the neck looks like when worn to see where to go with that. I'm quite pleased to have a whole sweater almost ready for very little work right now.

This one I certainly couldn't forget about. It's been a nightmare for years. It's thick and thin mystery yarn that I only bought a small amount of. I didn't like the way it pooled as the thinner parts of it look so patchy. This is the third neck I've put on it and I'm still not convinced about it. The first was one of those big cowl necks that came into fashion and hurriedly went out of it again. It looked ridiculous and I wouldn't have worn it in public if you'd paid me. The next was the same as this, but I did it too small to go over my head and I was in no mood to fix it at the time. I dragged it out again late last year and put this one on it, but now I think a ribbed one would look better. What's the money on me not liking that either? The ribbed strips at the sides were initially meant to be shortish armwarmers that I lengthened when I took the big collar off, they may be a bit of a squeeze for full length sleeves, but there's only one way to find out...

This is one I've been debating about for ages. I love the pattern (out of My Weekly Magazine many years ago) but wonder how it will look on my body shape. If I were to start from scratch I'd probably rethink it quite a lot, but I'm loathe to reknit it again. I'd done quite a lot of it the first time I made it, but then lost the pattern. It was such a long time between working on it and picking it up again that I couldn't remember it well enough to carry on without it. Sod's law well and truly struck and once I'd frogged it I found the pattern again. I'd got as far as the back last time and am now debating whether to go on with it or not. I'm still not decided what to do. I really like the blush pink boucle that I'm working in and have enough extra to do long sleeves and even to add something to the bottom such as an long rib section. Decisions, decisions.

The green cabled cardi is coming along well, I started the sleeves last night. I'll be glad to get it out of the way as I've already decided what to make next.

24 Comments:

At 1:38 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

The My Weekly cardi is lovely. I think it will suit you (not that I know much about body shapes and stuff, people probably point and laugh when I'm not looking!).

It's nice to have two 'nearly there' sweaters as well!

 
At 2:22 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

I also vote to continue with the Weekly Cardi. I just er, bought a sweater very similar to that--so it's still in style ;-)

Love frog pond!

 
At 3:25 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

A very cool death bin, if WIPs have to die. And I'm with Bezzie and Seahorse on the Weekly Cardi. :)

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

I love your frog bin ... it's too cute. :) I agree, too, to continue with the Weekly cardi. It's lovely.

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Nice to find almost-instant sweaters! Just focus on how glad you are that cowlnecks aren't going to be around, we hope, and that you dodged that bullet.

The Weekly Cardi is nice. I'm sure you could do any necessary tweaking.

 
At 5:50 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the look of the Weekly Cardi too. Go for it!

I honestly can't imagine putting something that close to being finished (the first 2 sweaters) aside for so long. But I haven't been knitting as long. I'm a finisher. Unless you wanna talk about My-so-called-scarf.

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger Charity said...

I love, love, love both pink sweaters. Isn't it great how close you are on the first one? I like plain knitting, too, but I get bored with it :-(

 
At 7:09 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Love the Froggin bin! That's adordable. Continue with the Weekly CardI.

 
At 7:54 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

I really like the frog bin. The My Weekly cardi doesn't look at all dated and the colour you're knitting it in is lovely. Looking forward to seeing your version of it finished!

 
At 10:28 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

I love your Frog Bin.

Wow, look at all those sweaters, I look forward to seeing what you are going to do.

 
At 11:52 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

thats very feminine sweater. , but it may itch. very like looking.

 
At 12:02 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

The cardi is very nice, looks like some of the current lacy patterns, definitely go for it.

The frog bin is tres chic.

 
At 3:28 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the frog bin! I can't believe you saved those sweaters for so long. I have a habbit of throwing things out that I haven't used for six months or more. Yikes!

 
At 11:20 am, Blogger Rain said...

It looks like I'm carrying on with the cardi then ;) I think I'll knit it as per the pattern and see how it looks on me before I try to do anything to it.

I'm terrible for starting things and then forgetting about them only to carry on years later. We won't go into the other half finished craft things I have lying around.

 
At 1:15 pm, Blogger T said...

Hehe, I came late and now I shall just agree with all that has been said up there :D

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I really like "My Weekly Cardi." I think that it would suit you beautifully. I love your frog bin...too cute!

 
At 4:16 pm, Blogger Heather said...

I love the frog, he's adorable! I'd like to say I'm a finisher but I'm currently knitting my first full size sweater and I already don't want to finish it, so I can see how it would be easy to abandon! They take so long to knit they go out of style before you can finish them. For now my policy is I can't start a new sweater until I finish this one so we'll see how long that lasts.

Sorry about my post title, didn't mean to scare off one of my most loyal readers ;)

 
At 4:50 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Okay, the knitting is all okay, but let's focus on the most important thing....
the frog bin is freaking adorable! I love it!!

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Another latecomer agreeing with all that's been said, especially on the My Weekly cardi, I think it will look great.

I *love* the frog bin :)

 
At 11:29 pm, Blogger Dina said...

OK ... I'm with everyone here ... that Frog Bin is to die for! I wonder if I can find one big enough to toss in DH ... and I like the Weekly Cardi ... finish it!

 
At 12:50 am, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I would also like to declare my love for the frog bin.

 
At 3:09 pm, Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I want a frog bucket too!

Rain is uber-cool.

 
At 11:27 am, Blogger Rain said...

If you're in the UK the frog bin is from ASDA. They have pink pig ones too which are super cute.

 
At 4:58 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Instant knitting! I wish I had some of that lying around, but I only have projects that are half-finished or less :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home