Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, May 27, 2006

Hong Kong Phooey

Everybody was Kung-Fu fighting,
Rain was knitting as fast as lightning,

In fact it was a little bit frightening,

But she knits with expert timing.


I really have been knitting like lightning despite being surrounded by my mother and Hong Kong Scout up there fighting over a squeaky toy, it's bedlam round here at times and I'm surprised I get anything done.

There will be pandas starving all over China as I have been buying up bamboo needles from Hong Kong at a crazy pace. I discovered an eBay Shop - Joyce Super Shop - selling all kinds of knitting needles and crochet hooks at a silly price. I have to admit to being a little wary at buying from Hong Kong, you do hear a lot of horror stories about eBay but as the seller had mostly good feedback I went for it.

My recent purchases have been (in sets) 15 80 cm long circular needles, 14 20cm long 5 needle sets of DPNs and 15 pairs of 36 cm long straights.

It might seem a bit mad buying so many new needles as I'm hardly lacking in that department, however, it's been a bargain that seemed daft to pass up on. If you fancy some yourself they have several combinations of needles and sell numerous sets of varying types and lengths every day. It's worth looking on their international eBay pages as the cost is roughly the same whether you buy them in £, US $, Aussie $ or Euros. As they have so many sets available there's no need to get into a bidding war with anyone as there are plenty for sale in the following days. Basically the bidding tends to start around 0.99 whatever the local currency is, but the shipping costs are inflated to cover the low price. The cost (including shipping) came to £10 for the circs, £13 for the DPNs and £11 for the straights. I thought that was ridiculously cheap for so many needles.

The are a few drawbacks - the needles are made in metric sizes increasing by 0.5 mm (starting at 2 mm and going up to 12 mm). This means that some of the smaller UK and US sizes that are .25 or .75 mm are not available. The circs are not the same as usual sets, rather than a solid cord there is a plastic tube between the needles (which doesn't curl!). I personally have found the join to be ok when using them (I've magic looped with them too), but I don't think they'd withstand abusive use i.e. swinging your knitting around your head or dragging a heavy afghan about the house by the needles. They are a little rough on arrival but with a gentle sanding they are a dream to use. I love them and can't recommend them enough.

One thing I would say about the company is that they say they will combine postage if you buy more then one set on one day, but it seems to be a common complaint that they don't. Otherwise shipping is good, they arrive well packaged and mine came with 7, 6 and 3 days of dispatch. There are people buying these needles and then reselling them at an inflated price. With 3 separate orders I haven't had a problem with the company so would say buy direct.

Now I'm off to make the mother of all needle rolls to keep them in.......

Disclaimer: I am not on commission, I just thought they were a great bargain and thought I'd pass it on.

22 Comments:

At 1:44 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

ooooh.... a matching set of needles, how lovely! I'm still digging through my stash trying to find the right size, sometimes robbing other WIPS of their needles to cast on for another project. I think you're on to something!

 
At 2:18 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

Brilliant idea. I am also "borrowing" needles from other projects, but I'd worry that with the availability of more needles, I'd start more WIP..........

 
At 6:40 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Bargainous needles, thanks for the rec. :-)

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

It's good to read that you have had a positive experience with this seller, I have been eyeing these sets up on ebay for some time, but haven't gone for it yet. I think I might just have to treat myself to them now!

 
At 1:22 am, Blogger Rain said...

I always used to be borrowing needles too as most things I make seem to need one particular size, this will certainly help. These are my first bamboo neeldes too.

Acrylik, I was a bit wary at first but with 3 orders from them I can't praise them enough.

Aurora, I get a bit nervous about it too as you do hear of problems, but it seeems to be going ok so far.

 
At 12:14 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

Hey-look who sprang up from the dead :-) All your needles and organising has made me want to set down and get back to it. I thought you didin't like circs though??? Those Aero needles in the big red case-my mum has the same exact set :-) It's sitting next to my sofa now.

You'll love the bamboo needles! I knit with mine almost exclusively.

 
At 12:48 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Ha ha! Starving pandas in China! I love it!

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Hong Kong Phooey!! You always know how to crack me up. Now give the sweet baby his toy.

 
At 5:08 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

What a great bargain those needles are! Thanks for the link! I love the cricket jumper in your last post. It turned out great!

 
At 4:39 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

Oh, wow, look at all your needles! Thanks for the recommendation.

 
At 4:41 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

I've been meaning to ask you if I could get your email addy, I have been wanting to reply to you a couple of times. If you would email me I would be so happy :-)
knittypants at hotmail dot com

 
At 5:02 am, Blogger Zonda said...

Nice needles there girl! Cute doggie too!

 
At 11:42 am, Blogger Rain said...

Hey Jerry, good to see you about again. Lol, those Aero needles certainly get around.

I generally don't like circs because the bog standard ones here have cords that curl no matter what you do and the joins are a pain in the hoo-hah, these don't have those probs so hopeful I'll get to like them better before I take them gloebtrotting.

KP - Hey! It's him that won't let go.

 
At 4:33 pm, Blogger Bad Amy said...

Such temptation! I'm constantly thieving needles from one project for another.... Hmmmm. You are a foul temptress.

 
At 9:09 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

HOly Mother of all needle purchases! Wow!

 
At 2:15 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

That sounds like a great deal! Enjoy your needles. :)

 
At 4:01 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Sounds like a bargain! I hope you enjoy them!

 
At 1:58 am, Blogger Batty said...

What a haul! I'm glad you got a good deal because I don't believe in the "too many knitting needles" myth. Every time I think I have enough, I need either a size or a length I don't have, or, worse, an extra set of needles to hold another part of the WIP.

You're going to have everything you need right there. No more frustration because you have to wait for your LYS to open so you can make that emergency needle purchase.

 
At 3:29 pm, Blogger TutleyMutley said...

thanks for the tip, Rain - I've been and ordered my set of bamboo circs immediately!

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger T said...

NEEDLES! LOTS OF NEEDLES!

Hehe, look at Scout, love him :)

 
At 8:39 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Amy - I'm only a foul temptress if you fall for it!

TG - *giggles* It feels very naughty, but I needed them, honest I did.

Batty - I get you on the needle front, I justified these by saying that I didn't have any bamboo needles and they were good for my hands!

Tutley - hope they get to you quickly, a wee bit of sanding will make them really smooth.

 
At 4:37 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Dog is adorable. And the needles do sound like a terrific idea, except that what you refer to as "abuse" is probably what 2 of my Things believe to be normal use of their mother's knitting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home