Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Happy Slapping

There's a craze across the UK at the moment which involves teens going around harming people in some way and filming it on their video phones. It started out quite innocently with a few pranks - making people jump, but has escalated into dangerous violence, including a man being set on fire. One poor woman I know was slapped around the face with a dead pigeon while waiting in her car at traffic lights with the window down. It's not funny and not clever and really makes you wonder what the world is coming to? It really saddens me to know that there are people like that out there who think it's acceptable to push people off their bikes, walk up and hit them or in some cases near kill them - all in the name of entertainment.

However, there are people out there who restore your faith in humanity. I haven't been Happy Slapped, but I have been Happy Clapped by the wonderful Nanatoo. This incredibly kind lady decided to RAK me (Random Act of Kindness) with the Clapotis that she near went blind with knitting in 4ply. I was absolutely delighted to receive it as it's incredibly beautiful and I know I will wear it to death. I've delayed posting about it as I wanted to get a photo of me wearing it. I've worn it a few times already and it's incredibly versatile. Here's me in it at our St George's Day Do.
I've taken to wearing it pinned around my shoulders to keep the chill out, or just draped around as a shawl. It also makes a wonderful scarf and I recently discovered that if I drape it across my shoulders and grip the ends in my hands that it keeps my arms warm on the way home from the pub. It's the best thing since sliced bread.

It's a myriad of beautiful colours and I love it. Thank you so much Nanatoo, I still can't believe you parted with it. I'm incredibly grateful and you can be assured it will be well loved and worn often. It's been much admired by my friends and I'll have to keep an eye on it around my Mother! Thanks again, I know how much work you put into it.

25 Comments:

At 11:16 am, Blogger T said...

I am happy as happy can be that you love it. You deserve it because you are a sweet thang :) It's Lucy Neatby Celestial Merino if you didn't know, but I want to call it Celestial Seasonings which I think is a brand of joss stick, or whatever they're called now.

You got some sun on Sunday! That's more than we did down here. You look lovely in it and I think maybe you could let Mum (standing up for mums here) wear it occasionally? No? ;)

If I think about the way some people behave I want to cry all day and happy slapping (what a dreadful name) is one of the things that gets to me. Give me strength!

 
At 11:26 am, Blogger Rain said...

I did offer to lend it to her in all fairness, but she's too frightened of something happening to it. She loves the yarn, so thanks for letting me know what it is.

It's my favourite knitted thing and all the moreso for being wearable through the summer. I don't want to put my winter knits away. We did have glorious weather for St George's Day, (there's another photo in the post below) it was warm in the sun, but still really chilly in the shade and not yet warm enough to sit out into the evening. Here's hoping we get a decent summer.

And BTW - you rock!

 
At 1:16 pm, Blogger Diane said...

How wonderful!You are truly blessed!

Wear it with love and pride :0)
I want to smack those stupid slappers...they should be called crappy slappers!
Calling them "happy" is as bad as calling car thiefs "joy riders"

Anyway..love your Clapotis...it's a beautiful colour ...celestial indeed! :0)

 
At 2:25 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

That's scary ... and you're right, not funny at all. Hopefully you will remain happy slapped-less.

The clapotis is beautiful! What a great gift. I knit one for my Mom last year and she loves hers too. :)

 
At 3:57 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

Yay for nanatoo :) I love hearing stuff like this!

 
At 4:27 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Beautiful! I love the colors, and I think Celestial Seasonings is a much better name for the yarn :)

Kids these days...

 
At 4:49 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Oh, it is lovely! And you look so happy out of doors in the sunshine.

 
At 5:40 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

The Clapotis really is beautiful isn't it - I love the rainbow colours. Nanatoo is a star :-)

 
At 6:13 pm, Blogger Rain said...

She really is a superstar, although she'd deny it if you told her.

 
At 6:40 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Now that is what I call a ramdon act of kindness. Sweet lady indeed. Even better when it's hand-made!

 
At 7:06 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

What a beautiful Clapotis! I agree with you all, Nanatoo is a star! :D

 
At 7:24 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

It's beautiful! Lucky girl, you!

 
At 7:57 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That is beautiful! You look great wearing it, too.:)

 
At 8:40 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The clapotic is beautiful and you look lovely in it. Yay for Nanatoo! Lovely people like her restore one's faith in human nature.

 
At 8:57 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Simply gorgeous!! I'm so happy for you!

 
At 12:28 am, Blogger String Bean said...

What a great gift (sacrifice?)!

 
At 6:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't that horrible what people do? What is up? I hate anything that has to do with gangs, violence and playing mean tricks on innocent people.
On a better note-that clapotis is gorgeous and looks great on you. I'm just waiting for the right yarn to jump out at me and then I'm making one myself.

 
At 12:50 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

What is the world coming to? I hope that the law cracks down on those jerks. I love your clapotis! What a generous gift. I see you also got some sun, a nice refreshing change after a cold winter!

 
At 1:06 am, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Lucky girl! That's a lovely Clapotis... I made one as a Christmas gift last year and was so sad to see it go that it's on my list again!

 
At 2:56 am, Blogger Cerridwen said...

http://www.boingboing.net/2006/04/22/knitta_please_urban_.html

If people want to do strange things for entertainment, they should try this...

 
At 4:52 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Rain, if anyone deserves such a sweet RAK, it's you! Yeah for Nanatoo!

And your jumper pattern is perfect!

 
At 9:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's soooo beautiful!

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

What a beautiful and sweet gift! Looks lovely :-)

 
At 12:04 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

lovely gift!! how thin is the yarn?
its very sunny in NYC as well.
:-)

 
At 12:13 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks, Nanatoo really is an angel.

HPNY, it's 4 ply which I think is sport weight in the US.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home