Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Bear faced cheek

It could be said of some people that they have their heads firmly inserted up their own bottoms, you wouldn't be far wrong if you said it of my bear too. I've been making this Bear in a Lamb Suit since August last year. I made all the pieces, but as I hate seaming at the best of times the tiny little pieces really put me off. I finally dug him out from under the bed because Scarlett is going to need him soon. Another reason for putting him off were the instructions in the book - 'The Baby Knits Book' by Debbie (bloody) Bliss.
I didn't find them particularly clear for making up the bear and I had a rather baffling moment wondering where on earth his legs were supposed to go until realised I'd sewn his head to his bottom. I soon fixed him and he's all dressed up ready to go.

I did have a particular reason for making this for Scarlett. Her Dad Nick is Welsh and most of his time in the crew room at work was spent fending off sheep jokes. One of the first things I made for the expected baby was this Sheep Suit from 'Baby Knits' by Debbie Bliss. I saw it in the book and couldn't resist taking the piss. I made it in DK acrylic with a few modifications to the pattern. I took out the built in mitts and boots and went for separates as I felt it would be a lot more versatile like that. The shoes were in 'New Baby Knits' again by DB. I was a bit miffed about the suit pattern. The smallest size is for a 3-6 month old baby - with a 23" chest!!! I don't know what kind of gargantuan babies this woman has measured, but they surely belong in the Guinness Book of World Records.

Unfortunately this animal knitting started off a craze and the more patterns I found the more I had to make. I couldn't resist this Bear Gilet from 'Knits for Babies and Toddlers' by Fiona McTague. I wanted to put duffle fastenings on rather than a zip and searched high and low for ready made ones. There were none to be found and I was far too lazy to make some so I caved and put a zip in. You'd have cried laughing if you saw me trying to sew it in. I used my new sewing machine (I haven't used a machine for about 10 years) and this was the first thing I did with it. One side went in great but the other was all over the place and I had to unpick it 3 times. It's not great but passable.

The sheep shoes weren't the only little animal feet to make my heart melt. These bunny and bear shoes were too cute not to make.

I've linked to the patterns, but I couldn't make head nor tail of the bear shoes. I made the Fair Isle shoes from 'The Baby Knits Book' by DB instead and put the bear heads onto them. I thought proper little shoes would be more practical than just slippers too.

I'm dreading when she gets older and realises where all of her daft baby clothes came from.

26 Comments:

At 2:44 am, Blogger Becky said...

Those are just too cute! I'm glad you finished the bear and sheep suit. It is hilariously cute!

 
At 3:49 am, Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I love the little sheepie slippers! Great job!

 
At 4:49 am, Blogger Heather said...

Don't get me started on the DB patterns! I'm piecing up the bunny, also one of her patterns. I hate seaming too, I've done the legs and half way up the body and hated every minute of it!

But the bear is awefully cute!

 
At 4:53 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

All those different patterns are really cute. I love the sheep suit. And Debbie Bliss patterns are nuts!

 
At 5:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how cute!! Those are just to die for and she will love them when she grows up and sees you're the nut that made them. ;o) I love them!

 
At 7:58 am, Blogger Spinningsue said...

How cute! You're inspiring me to knit more baby stuff - problem is I haven't got any to knit for. Oh well, maybe the local charities will do well out of it.

Hmmmmm my colleague at work is due in August and I could knit some cute bear shoes to go with the cable cardi and cupcake hat I'm doing for her...

 
At 8:42 am, Blogger T said...

Rain, they are just the SWEETEST things! Just as well I don't get broody any more ;)

Ew, I hate seaming with a passion too and my sewing is dreadful.

If she's like mine she'll look back at her baby photos and squee with delight at herself in those sweet clothes :)

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

What fab knits!

 
At 10:20 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks.

Heather, I've just borrowed Toy Knits by DB from the library - I think I'll take it back!

Kimberly, Who you callin' a nut? ;)

Sue, a cupcake hat sounds so cute. Baby stuff gets addictive.

Tina, I can only hope she likes the stuff. Her parents adore putting her in silly outfits so they will have plenty of ammunition (and photographic evidence)when she gets to her teens.

 
At 11:03 am, Blogger Lara 900 said...

Very cute!!!!!

 
At 2:00 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My brain just exploded - EVERYTHING is so amazingly cute I cannot stand it! :) But I've heard that so much about Debbie Bliss patterns that I've just stayed away.

 
At 2:59 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

They aren't daft until you start doing unusual animal suits. Like a turtle, pig, hedgehog, platypus, or wallaby. Think of the hilarity that could ensue! Hee!

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

So many cute things in one post! That's it --every baby I know is getting an animal suit for Christmas.

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

The slippers turned out really cute and one of my favorites. You make the cutest little baby outfits to give to your friends. The bear in the sheep outfit is great and surely shows off your skills! I too borrowed knitting books from the library. It's amazing how many cool knitting books they are getting in. It's great for that one pattern out of the book instead of buying it sometimes.

 
At 3:39 pm, Blogger aija said...

Oh! So much baby cuteness!! :)

I've found the same brobdingnagian sizing on D Bliss' books too, along with a lack of direction... but her patterns are usually so cute I can't resist.

 
At 6:02 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

I love the animal-themed suits and bootees :-) The bear is uber-cute too!

 
At 7:35 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

That's really cute!

If she asks where it came from, deny everything.

 
At 3:37 am, Blogger Annie said...

Hahahha! A whole photo album of pictures to share with the babie's future spouse. Absolutely wonderful stuff and shows a lot of love. I LOVE the sheep outfit and the matching bear!

 
At 8:47 am, Blogger Rain said...

TG, what abotu vegetables? Berrocco do a good line in veg outfits.

Allison, *grin* if you start you wont be able to stop, tenny tiny cute things get addictive.

KP, my library is fantastic for baby knitting books. I'm about to put requests in for some adult ones too.

Quikeye, I'm the same with DB I get annoyed by the patterns but they are so gorgeous it's worth making them anyway.

SB, I'll deny all knowledge entirely but I'm not sure how effective that will be.

Aurora, normal service on Starsky will resume later today! I'm aiming for a Friday finish.

Annnie + Monica, as soon as I saw the matching bear I had to make it. I can just see them together.

 
At 2:04 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Oh my goodnes!! I love it all! Sooo cute!

 
At 11:16 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

Rain! Those are too cute! Awesome job! :)

 
At 6:13 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Love all those things you've knitted, especially the bear in the lamb's suit. I'm like you with fiddly little things. I've had a half finished bear in the drawer for nearly a year but your bear in a lamb suit has made me feel like I want to make one! Thanks for the link to the pattern. It'll make a great teddy for my great niece. Brave you, too, for using your sewing machine to put that zip in after you hadn't used one for years!

 
At 1:41 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Holy sweetness!!! You are prolific, Rain! Scarlett will be well-dressed throughout her life :).

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger April said...

Those are all adorable! I love the teddy bear and the booties!

 
At 2:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent Rain, my neighbours baby is due soon....I wonder LOL

 
At 9:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That outfit is too cute!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home