Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, April 08, 2006

Bow down

to the Domestic Overlord.

If you don't visit Sarah's blog already then got your bottom over there pronto!

I received this marvellous parcel from her yesterday, choc-a-block full of knitterly goodness


The yarn is from Knit Picks. On the left - Sock Landscape 2 x Cape Cod and a Yukon (100% Merino).
The rest is Wool of the Andes, Winter Night, Rain, Chestnut and Snickerdoodle (100% Peruvian Wool).

The WotA is to be turned into 2 felted bags. It will be my first attempt at felting (or 'ruining knitting', as my Mother puts it). So watch this space.

The sock yarn is as yet without a project as Sarah very kindly added it into the package without me knowing it was coming. So far I've just been sat petting it and Scout is taking far too much of an interest in it.

I also received a beautiful beaded bookmark (I've been using an old train ticket), some marshmallows and some Kool-Aid which I have been instructed to drink as well as using for dyeing yarn. Sarah - if my poo turns blue I will have some serious issues with you!

Sarah - thank you, thank you, thank you! I'm very grateful and really appreciate you taking the trouble to send it. You really are awesome!

On the knitting front - I have been knitting, but it's been a bit fragmented. I made these wrist warmers for Jenny (Scarlett's Mum) for her birthday. Happy Birthday Jenn!

They're in mystery yarn from my stash. It was aran weight yarn which I presume is some sort of mohair blend. It's very soft and cuddly. I based the pattern very very loosely on Kimberly's gorgeous fingerless cabled gloves pattern and used her excellent instructions for creating the thumb gusset without holes. I do plan on actually following the pattern at some point as I've had it bookmarked for ages. Mine had 2 opposing twists as it was easier than cabling, the yarn was difficult to work with as I was on small needles.

I've also been working on Starsky and have reached the armholes on the back. I stopped work on it to make time for a few other projects which belong in a different post. The yarn is Woolcraft Aran (75% acrylic, 25% wool). It's beige with tiny flecks of brown, orange and lime green in it. I initially wanted to make it in Airforce Blue (a grey-blue shade) and then realised that I'm slowly building myself a wardrobe full of stuff in the colours of my RAF uniform. I could only find James C. Brett yarn in that colour but it had turquoise and royal blue bits in it and I didn't like it. I'm pleased with how the Woolcraft is turning out, it's made by the same people who do Jarol. Hopefully it won't take too long to do. A new Knitty is out on Monday and I'm bound to find something else I have to make.

22 Comments:

At 12:29 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I don't even know where to begin with all these goodies on this post. You better make something special with the Rain yarn. That is a great package you got from Knitpicks. Fabulous yarn, some sugar to keep you going, beaded book marker and kool-aid to dye your own yarn. Just can't wait to see what color combinations you will come up with. I totally adore these fingerless gloves. The yarn is so nice.

 
At 2:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That looks like a super gift-luck you!
Your fingerless look great! I love what you did with them.

 
At 2:13 pm, Blogger T said...

Domestic Overlord is such a good name :) And you've got some excellent stuff there.

'Ruining knitting', lol, that's funny.

Love the wristwarmers and Starsky's coming on beautifully! Us girls at school got Starsky cardis in the late 70's (77-ish?) because we were in lurve with Starsky (in my case) or Hutch.

 
At 2:57 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

What a great parcel of goodies. It's actually a good thing Knitpicks yarn is hard to get for us, otherwise our house might end up buried in yarn :-)

Love the wristers too. Starsky is coming along nicely :-)

 
At 4:48 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Pretty, pretty projects! Your Starsky is going to be wonderful.

I have to consciously vary my color selection with knitting, too--at one point, I realized that almost everything I made for myself was some shade of blue. I'm trying to branch out into the greens and reds :)

 
At 5:41 pm, Blogger Stacey said...

Yah for nw Knitpicks yarn!

I love the wristwarms!

 
At 8:34 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Always such delightful work, Rain! Hurray for surprises!

 
At 10:44 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

What a nice surprise! Ha! Ruining knitting, I really like felting! The health nut in me says "Don't drink the Koolaid, if it dyes yarn vivid shades it can't be good for your insides!" Then again, I grew up drinking it, and I am not too, too weird! Starsky is looking great, you knit so fast, you start something and then 2 minutes later it's done, what's your secret??

 
At 11:57 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I believe I instructed you to drink the Tropical Punch flavor, which is my favorite. It cannot possibly make your poo blue as it is red. Woo-hoo! I'm safe!

Glad you liked the goodies!

 
At 12:01 am, Blogger Rain said...

Can you tell my Mum just doesn't 'get' the concept of felting. According to her it's a waste to spend all that time knitting stuff only to boil it in the washer.

KP, once I realised they had a shade called Rain it would have been rude not to get it. It's one of my fave shades of blue too.

Kimberly, I wanted to make them just like your pattern and then realised the yarn was a different gauge and too awkward to cable. The thumb gusset instructions came in really handy as I had no idea how to do them.

T, would it make you feel old of I told you I was born in '79? ;) and don't think I've ever seen an episode of Starsky and Hutch. I was a Dukes of Hazard girl.

DC, I'd be in serious trouble if you could get KP yarn here. It's a silly price compared to most stuff here.

Allison, I'm terrible for choosing a color and sticking to it. Given how much I whined about wearing the same colour every day I have a nerve wanting to knit in it now.

Stacey and J&M, thanks, I just hope she likes them.

Areli, I have the same worries! Regarding my knitting secret, it's directly tied with nothing better to do. I desperately want my back injury fixing so I can go back to work, until then knitting keeps me sane. I had an MRI scan 2 weeks ago so I'll see someone soon about the results.

I've also been knitting for 17 years. If you think I'm fast you should see my Mum, her hands are a blur and she is approx. twice as fast as me - and that's with arthritis!

Sarah, you rock! And red poo is juat as disturbing! Many thanks, you're an angel.

 
At 11:22 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

A new Knitty? On Monday? Woo-Hoo!
Nice arm warmers! They do indeed look super-cozy.

I try to get away from my normal colors: lilac, purple, green, chartruese, but it. is. so. hard.
Therefore, eventually, I'm planning the Chevron Tank from IK in red cotton. I think I can. I think I can.

 
At 3:39 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, email me..I couldn't write you back cause I need your email.

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, email me..I couldn't write you back cause I need your email.

 
At 3:40 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Rain, email me..I couldn't write you back cause I need your email.

 
At 6:00 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I think knitpastis wants you to e-mail her. Just a guess.

Starsky is looking good! And it's a great color to wear all year long. I'm just happy to see you making things in adult sizes! lol

Great knitpicks package. They are a dangerous company to have merely a click of the mouse away. I almost wish I was in your position. My wallet would thank me. lol

 
At 6:13 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Whoa! Knitpicks, seriously delicious! Lucky girl! I really like those cabled fingerless gloves and have made a note of the pattern with the view to perhaps having a go myself. Starsky is looking good and, yes, I'm the same with colour except I open my wardrobe and it's packed full of burgundy, red, claret, and different shades of purples and pinks (definitely no Barbie pink though!)

 
At 8:55 pm, Blogger T said...

OK Rain, I know. I am old enough to be your Mummy. Not a happy state of affairs.

Dukes of Hazzard? Pah and p'tooey (that's a spitting noise ;))

 
At 12:39 am, Blogger Dina said...

Lucky you with that package and the fingerless gloves look cozy ... ooh, and Starsky's looking great!

I know how you feel about rebuilding a wardrobe that doesn't include prior service colors. I have a lot of BDU neutrals and loads of blues myself -- you'd think we would at least go crazy with the civies!

 
At 10:52 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

I love how Starsky is coming along! '79? Yes, that does make me feel a bit old, though thankfully not old enough to be your Mum, just a much older sister, lol!

I didn't know about your back - I hope things get resolved soon.

 
At 1:20 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks Seahorse.

I'm glad it's not just me that gets stuck in a colour rut. It's so easy to do too.

If it makes you feel better folks, I have a sister who is 44.

 
At 1:50 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Nice new yarn. Kool Aid rocks. The knitting projects are looking great! I'm sure the gloves will be greatly appreciated.

 
At 3:51 am, Blogger Penny Karma, aka the F-Bomb Mom said...

I wholeheartedly agree that Domestic Overlord is almost impossibly cool.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home