Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Happy St. George's Day

This royal throne of kings, this sceptred isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house,
Against the envy of less happier lands,—
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England.

---William Shakespeare

I've chosen today to put out my England Jumper pattern. Although St. George's Flag is mainly associated with football, it's about time it was claimed back from the hooligans and worn and waved with pride - not as a symbol of aggressive nationalism, but of pride in our nation, history and people. There's a feeling out there that you have to be ashamed to be English. I say no more! England rocks and the English rock - nowhere else is eccentricity bordering on sheer madness a celebrated charateristic. It's about time we celebrated the good things in this country. So whether it's a cuppa or a pint - raise your mug or glass.

To England!

Catch you later folks - I'm off to the pub.....


I give you a toast Ladies and Gentlemen
May this fair land we love so well,
In Dignity and freedom dwell.
Whilst worlds may change and go awry,
Whilst there is still one voice to cry!
There'll always be an England....
And England shall be free
If England means as much to you
As England means to me.

---Hugh Charles

13 Comments:

At 1:44 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Yes, hoorah for England and our eccentricities :-) About time we reclaimed our flag et al from the idiot minority!

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger T said...

Living where I do I sometimes despair of the English, but of course as dreamcatcher says it is the 'idiot minority' that I see out on the streets.

Watching the London Marathon today I was reminded of our best assets. Well done us for our eccentricity, our willingness not to take ourselves too seriously and our ability to laugh at ourselves with relish :D

Hope it's not raining where you are and that you have a great St. George's Day.

 
At 3:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

quite right too!

I'm a footbal fan & proud to be English but am too 'scared' to be labelled a fanatic to out up my flag! Maybe I will today though!

Happy St George's Day everyone

 
At 9:46 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Thanks for sharing such a great pattern, Rain!

 
At 2:38 am, Blogger String Bean said...

There's also a feeling that Americans should be ashamed to be American. I'm not ashamed to be American, I'm simply ashamed that certain people (president included) are American. Can you kick certain people out of the country for being (let's skip calling them bigots) assholes?. I'm running away with it here, but Americans do have a really bad reputation. Although I see where the reputation comes from, we are not all horrendous, rude, ignorant pigs. I'm reading "idiot minority" in another comment. It applies here as well, although (ashamedly), the minority is slightly larger. I'm sure this applies to many countries and everyone has their own take. I'll just shake my head at this one. Congrats on taking back the flag!

 
At 10:23 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Totally agree Rain! Love the pattern, thanks for sharing :)

 
At 10:44 am, Blogger Rain said...

I really do think it is an idiot minority that show everyone up, whichever country you are from.

 
At 7:50 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Hope you had a happy St Georges Day, Rain, and a good time at the pub and thanks for sharing that great jumper pattern!

 
At 10:47 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Have fun celebrating!

 
At 2:26 am, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

You shouldn't be ashamed to be English any more than I should be to be American. Now Canadian, that's another matter. Just kidding. But not really.

 
At 10:18 am, Blogger Minnieknits said...

Thanks for a thought provoker - I think I take my englishness for granted but its important to take pride in your country and the traditions that make you who you are! (in my case, a natural born queue joiner - that must be a downside to being so english - if I see a queue, I'm drawn to standing at the back and dutifully wait my turn!lol!)

 
At 11:11 am, Blogger Rain said...

I'm a queue joiner too - I think it's in the blood, until one goes to France!

DO - *stifles a giggle* I keep telling my Canadian friend that she has beady eyes and a flip top head - she's not amused, but I laugh.

 
At 11:44 am, Blogger T said...

Right, well you can stop with the sunny pictures now 'cos I am getting a bit cross ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home