Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, May 04, 2006

At my knits end

I'm having one of those weeks where the sheer amount of knitting to be done is getting overwhelming. My list is getting longer and longer and I'm so impatient I want it all knitted yesterday. I have a clipboard which I put patterns on, scribble my own designs on and generally write notes to myself on. I realised things were getting out of hand when the two sides of A4 of things to knit was without a single space to write anything else on.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. I rewrote the list and have it down to a manageable 25 projects over the next 3 months or so. Most of them are quite small. The stuff for me is still on the blog as a constant reminder to knit for myself. It always seems to be my stuff that gets put on the back burner. All future requests for knits are to be met with a 'No' - no explantions or apologies. I get inundated actually, random people I barely know wanting stuff done for babies mostly (I don't mean you Jenny, that gorgeous wee girl of yours is a pleasure to knit for).

Despite my new hardline tactics, I still seem to have been conned by my sister into knitting a cricket jumper for her oldest. She can't get one in his size for love nor money and he's on the school team. First she was buying the yarn and then decided I can make it for his birthday. It's a good job he's my favourite nephew. I've got a pattern from Lena Stengard's Nursery Knitting which I will adapt for him, he's 11 and gangly. He only wants a sleeveless one so it shouldn't take long and I'm considering making it in the round. I can't get the yarn until Saturday so it's delayed until then. Other than that I've done another Tassel Top from Kids Knits by Leslie Anne Price. This seems to be the one item that gets universal approval, it's so cute and babies look adorable in them. It's also a very quick knit as it's in chunky yarn and all garter stitch with the body made in one piece. I've done it in cream and brown again so it'll do for either, but no mitts this time. I have a picture of Sol in his white and navy one and he's too cute for words. It's for whichever summer baby is born first and I'll probably do the same pattern for each of them.

I've also done some little picot boots for Scarlett using the Baby Ugg pattern and adding picot edges.
And I've eventually got round to sewing in the ends on the Peruvian Chullo I made forever ago.

There are a few more knits in progress but as they are gifts it's all a bit hush hush.

23 Comments:

At 2:07 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Wooooo 25 knitting projects in 3 mths. Ahhh, Look at those tiny little bitty uggs! Yep, you gotta just say no and try your hardest not to feel bad for saying it.I do hope to see more knits for yourself. The baby sweater is so cool looking and I can imagine the hard work you put into that hat!

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Goodness!!! You've been so busy!! The projects look great though. I can't wait to see pics of the other 25 things you're going to finish in the next 3 months.

 
At 2:42 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Your nephew is very lucky. :) I love the Ugg booties! Too cute! Everything looks great. Twenty-five knits in three months sounds like a lot of work, but I'm sure if anyone can get it done, you can. :)

 
At 3:19 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Wow, even your cut-down list sounds incredible! All hail Rain, Queen of Knitting :)

I love your Baby Ugg modifications. Those are adorable.

 
At 4:37 pm, Blogger T said...

Your baby knits are all delicious as usual. I can't stop looking at the Uggs.
I'm glad you're saying no without feeling guilty. What are people like??

 
At 5:48 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Gorgeous baby knits. That's some list but I can believe that, if anyone can do it, you can. But you must knit something for yourself. I'm exactly the same. Even when I do knit something intended for myself, I usually end up giving it away! We must encourage one another to spoil ourselves occasionally. LOL

 
At 6:26 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Oh my. 25 things on your list? Wow. Although, if I bothered to keep a list of the things I want/need to knit, I'm sure it would be comparable. Thank God all my friends had babies before I got into knitting. (Notice I didn't say before I learned) Wow. Good luck with that list.

The pink booties are so cute, they look completely different than the original pattern, very cool.

 
At 6:54 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Lovely baby knits, the tassel top is fab, I want one in my size LOL!

Don't ever feel guilty for saying no to kniting requests. We only have a finite amount of time in which to knit! Mine is certainly limited and I'd have to say no on grounds of keeping my already-fragile sanity :-)

I organised my own knit-list the other day. In some ways it's good to have a running order, but it can feel like pressure too - writing down everything you want to make and then feeling a bit overwhelmed at the sheer scale :-)

 
At 7:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, 25 projects in 3 months? That's great! I love those ugg booties with the picot edges. I think I will give that one a try.

 
At 7:25 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

I soooooo relate to the need to make lists and get organized in a knitting sense. I have so much I want to do- and I keep downloading and printing new patterns. its endlessly inspiring out there. I love the Peruvian Chullo! so cute. a good way to not have a zillion ends is to weave them in as you knit!

 
At 11:00 pm, Blogger Emma said...

You are crazy ambitous woman, you will give all of us angst! ;)

 
At 11:17 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Aurora, get that Tubey finished, I want to see that too! Nooooo, no more for the list.

KP, easier said than done, I was always brought up to help out if you can and I always feel really bad for saying no. People do take advantage though.

Melissa, it never stops!

Thanks Samantha, I'm glad to know one of us has faith.

Allison, I promise most of them are only really small projects, I can't face big sweater knits in the summer.

Nanatoo, people are shocking! I still feel a bit guilty, but you have to stand up for yourself. My Mum is besotted with the pink uggs, I don't think she wants me to give them away.

Thanks Knityoga, roughly half are for me. We definitely need to spoil ourselves more.

TG, don't go down the list route, it just keep growing and growing, It was much longer before I got ruthless.

DC, don't laugh, but I was really considering resizing it for myself. You're right about the pressure element, but I'm not going to beat myself up if I don't get it all done.

Pam, think little, it's mostly baby stuff or small accessories.

HPNY knits, I know what you mean about the inspriration, barely a day goes by that I don't find or think of at least one more thing I want to make.

Sorry Emma, I promise they are mostly tiny projects.

 
At 11:28 pm, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

Rain you are prolific! Such gorgeous gifts you give. Remember to be sweet to yourself.

 
At 1:04 am, Blogger knitfriendly said...

You are one fast knitter! I am always impressed with your projects. I absolutely love the cricket jumpers. How adorable!

 
At 6:06 am, Blogger Miss Kalendar said...

I feel your pain!!
I have the I-can't-say-no disease mixed with the fact that I (for some reason I can't explain) push people to wanting something.
"Do you want a sweater or a scarf? I'll make you anything you want!"

Speaking of which - when do we get to see that Victorian Riding Jacket???

 
At 6:41 am, Blogger Zonda said...

Rain! Love the projects! those boots are the cutest!

Um as far as projects..tooo scary to count here!

Can't wait to see the cricket vest!

 
At 8:25 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thank J&M, I'll try!

Knitfriendly, the worst thing is, I want a cricket jumper for myself, I used to wear my brother's all the time but it got donated to the school. I shall be knitting it wishing it were bigger.

KG, why do we do it? We must be mad. The VRC is coming, but it's taking me longer than I thought to get it into standard sizing for a range of measurements.

Thanks Zonda, I love the wee boots too. As for counting - deny all knowledge.

 
At 9:32 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Your work is fantastic! I'm especially in love with those Baby Ugg boots! Like everyone says, you must do more for yourself and not feel guilty! I don't get asked to do things for other people very often (my kids ask me all the time but I don't really count that!) but I nearly always say no. I spend an awful lot of my time making sure other people are ok (and so I should, I'm a SAHM and that's my job!) but knitting is what I do for ME and I refuse to make it into just another chore.

 
At 6:51 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

The babies in your life are truly blessed. Saying a clear "no," I find, is a real gift to yourself, and ultimately, to everyone around you. Besides, who demands knitting? People who need to learn better, methinks.

You are just a knitting machine, though. I'm way impressed.

 
At 8:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in gift mode myself and know how frustrating it can be. It's so fun to give, and you made some adorable things-those booties are really cute, but I would love to do some more things just for me. Selfish I am. ;o)

 
At 9:17 am, Blogger acrylik said...

You do right to concentrate on what you want to knit and not to knit for others - as Dreamcatcher says, there's only a finite amount of time to knit in!

Love your latest projects, especially those booties!

 
At 12:41 pm, Blogger amylovie said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog Rain!

You look fantastic in your Starsky. Glowing in fact. (hehe)

Amy

 
At 1:29 am, Blogger Batty said...

So I'm having a hard time deciding which of these is the cutest... So... hard...
They're all absolutely fabulous.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home