Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

We don't do duvets!

If you grew up in the late 80s you know what I mean. For those of you that don't - Saturday morning tv in the UK was dominated by a magazine type kids show called Going Live with Phillip Schofield and Sarah Greene. The shows were a mishmash of chat, gameshows, cartoons, music and general silliness. Most of the comedy was provided by Trev and Simon who did a series of various short sketches, the most popular of which was probably the Launderette - that didn't do duvets! An unsuspecting film or pop star would be sent in to have a duvet cleaned only to have the giant washing machine explode and be covered in a flurry of feathers - nobody was too famous. To the average 7 year old this was the funniest thing going.

I only bring it up because while I do do duvets, I don't do duvet covers. I hate them. I use them of course, but usually end up wrestling with them in the middle of the night as they never stay closed. Maybe I wriggle more than most because they cause me great trauma. Whether it's press studs or buttons at the opening they rarely stay closed and even if they do the duvet is never in the same place it started by the morning. I've had a quest for ages to find a decent duvet cover as most of mine are darker winter colours, after looking for ages and finding none I particularly liked I fell in love with this fabric and decided to make my own.

My sewing skills are a little ropey, I can't sew in a straight line to save my life, but despite all that I've put one together. With Toggles!

Each corner of the cover has a wee toggle inside and the duvet itself is getting a ribbon loop in each corner. HA! TAKE THAT! The dastardley duvet escapes no more. I've also put a deep fold by the opening as well as press studs so it's going nowhere. If it works each cover I own is getting the toggle treatment.

I had enough fabric to make the duvet cover and two pilllow cases, but didn't find enough for curtains which I'd have liked. It cost around £8 from Abakhan's Fabrics which have warehouses in Liverpool, Manchester, Preston, Birkenhead, Mostyn (N Wales) and Stoke-on-Trent. They sell differently than most places - as well as fabric off the roll sold by the metre they also have a large section of roll-ends, offcuts and remnants sold by weight with everything from broidery anglaise to zebra print fur. It's all a bit pot luck and you have to have a good sort through. There's a yarn department too and plenty of haberdashery supplies. Well worth a visit if you live near one.

And for those of you that got the title...

Swing Your Pants!


23 Comments:

At 6:24 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

That fabric is fabulous. I love the pattern and the colours. :) As for the "don't do duvets" thing I'm clueless. *lol*

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

I'm also clueless about the "don't do duvets", but the fabric is gorgeous and I love toggles. I hope the cover is everything you hope it will be. :)

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I'm glad you found a way to keep the duvet at bay. I have not been drinking, why do you ask?

I used to have a duvet cover that had a zipper, that was awesome!

 
At 9:43 pm, Blogger Wye Sue said...

I'd forgotten about the duvet thing but remember singing my pants and even went to see then in concert (how sad is that !!!)

 
At 12:25 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Love the duvet cover, great idea to make your own and incorporate some sensible design features! I've never understood the way the covers are made here. Why on earth is only about one third of the opening end, actually an opening. It makes it a right faff to try to get the duvet inside the cover! Then as you say the duvet itself can get all twisted up in the cover or shimmy around. Your version is brilliant. I have to say though that IKEA have got the right idea with theirs, they even have little openings at the top corners.

 
At 12:35 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Cute fabric! I have made several duvet covers although I'd rather buy them. The duvets I buy must have several button closures. Just bugs me for the duvet to keep sneaking it's way out. Can't wait to see yours. Such happy fabric too!

 
At 5:33 am, Blogger EvaLux said...

Hiya,
I have one duvet cover that keeps the duvet really inside well... its closure is on the top front, about 1/4th down from the top. If you get what I mean... It is a design feature :) The duvet can't go anywhere LOL.

Cheers Eva
sweetpea at sweet-p dot net

 
At 6:42 am, Blogger T said...

It's a beautiful duvet cover, and well done for sewing!

My bruv is very similar to the tall one of Trev and Simon and we always used to call him 'Pickling Jim' which you may remember :D

 
At 10:24 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

I'm impressed with your sewing! Great idea re the toggles :)

 
At 7:06 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That fabric is lovely and a great design idea to use folds and toggles. Recently, I've been considering dusting my sewing machine down and having a go. It was bought for me as a wedding present to encourage me to sew by my in-laws but never quite took off. Lately I've felt strangely drawn to having a little play with it. That shop sounds fab! None near us though. :-( Not really sure about the 'Don't Do Duvets' thing - too old - but I bet my DS would know all about it.

 
At 7:50 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks folks. I think I'll have to get a bit more practice in before I go beyond (not so) straight lines, but I'm hoping to do more soon.

 
At 11:00 pm, Blogger Cerridwen said...

Um..what's a duvets?
I grew up in the 80's, but over here we had Sherron, Louis and Bram on the Disney Channel (anyone remember them? WIth the Elephant Song?) and Mathnet on PBS. I loved that show. Dragnet, but with math!! Oh, and Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego. I would have kicked butt on that show!

 
At 2:29 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh how funny-my maiden name is Schofield and my brother's son is Phillip.
And I do do duvets! I've always loved big fluffy duvets and when I went to college I started making all my own covers-lack of money you know. I still do. I usually use two big sheets and sew them together. What I do is sew ties at the top of the duvet and the cover and tie them together so the duvet doesn't wiggle it's way to the bottom. I've had great luck with this so far. I love your new cover and the toggles.

 
At 8:35 am, Blogger Rain said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one Kimberly.

Cerridwen - duvets are bed covers stuffed with feathers, they probably have a different name where you are or chances are it's too hot to need them.

 
At 11:09 am, Blogger acrylik said...

Lovely fabric, and what a bargain! I shall have to look out for that store when I'm on my travels.

 
At 2:42 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I've never really known what a duvet was before either. I have a comforter, that's falling apart, and could probably use one of those fancy "duvet cover" but I can never bring myself to spend the money on one. *sigh*

 
At 10:21 pm, Blogger Faerynuff said...

OH MY. Trev and Simon! I used to be in hysterics whenver I saw them. Didn't they do a hairdressers sketch too?

Dick and Dom make me giggle too but they've gone as well.


BOGEYS!!!!

 
At 12:00 am, Blogger Rain said...

Faerynuff - they did do hairdressers - that didn't do perms.

I also loved Ant + Dec's Wonky Donkey.

 
At 7:46 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for bringing back the memory of Trev and Simon - I was in love with them both, but Simon was my favorite!
I can't say Chicken Tikka Masala without saying shampoo at the end!
And "Purple Haze - Fa-la-la-la-lah!"
Love it!!!

The whole duvet thing.....when I came over to America I couldn't understand why the yanks had sheets and comforters - I would want to take the cover of the comforter to wash it - it just isn't as clean as a duvet with a cover - and you don't need the extra sheet that gets all tangled up anyway!
Love your idea of useing toggles - you could also use press-studs, (snaps), too.

Anyway, thanks for making me laugh, although you'll probably never read this as it's an old post by now!

 
At 9:02 am, Blogger Rain said...

Lol, Heather, I do see them. I must admit the idea of a sewn in cover seems a little mad, I like being able to change them. I'm a sheet hater too, you just end up tied in knots with it.

 
At 11:31 am, Blogger Sportskids Team said...

Help your big league dreams come true with these beautiful and comfortable sports bedding and kids bedding MLB Logo comforters and sheet sets with discount price at mlb-comforter.com

mlb comforter

 
At 12:19 pm, Anonymous Ava Aroha said...

Hey I was on you blog wall you write awesome. Superb liked it. I have seen some of your blog, I must tell you that you are absolutely outstanding.
I'm also a blogger I write on Home Decor, bedding and bedding tips. My recent blogs are Flat sheet vs fitted sheetWhat is a top sheet . You can read more on my blog wallLinen Change . Even you can purchase linen bedding accessories like Wrap Around Bed Skirt , 18 Bed Skirt , Flat Sheet Only from me. Thanks for your post.

 
At 10:56 am, Blogger Bedding said...

Nice Explain in your product!!! The touch and feel is superb! Definitely recommend it!
Website:- What is a duvet

 

Post a Comment

<< Home