Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Sunday, May 14, 2006

Cocktail hour

I am quite unashamedly a drunken strumpet. Here I am being all drunkenly strumpety at University (in a jumper I knitted of course).

Here are a few of my favourite tipples and treats...all homemade of course. Now that's crafty ;)

Irish Cream Liqueur (like Bailey's)
Ingredients:
2 tablespoons instant coffee
397g (1 large tin) sweetened condensed milk
150ml (quarter pint) of whiskey (Irish if you can get it)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence

Dissolve the coffee in half a pint of boiling water, stir well, put this and all of the other ingredients into a blender and mix until combined. Leave to cool. Transfer into a bottle and place in the fridge. Shake well before serving. Makes three quarters of a pint.

Rain's top tip - for a change substitute one spoon of coffee with one spoon of hot chocolate powder. If you can get them, use the flavoured (Options) hot chocolate powders, mint or orange works especially well.

Bailey’s Fudge
Ingredients:
60 ml (1/4 cup) Bailey's
15g (half oz) butter (melted)
340g (12 oz) dark chocolate
2 egg yolks
60 ml (1/4 cup) double (heavy) cream

Melt chocolate pieces, Bailey's and cream together over very low heat. Whisk in yolks, one at a time, mixture will thicken. Whisk in butter. Pour into a lightly greased cake tin and place in fridge until firm.

Kahlua
Ingredients:
500ml (2 cups) vodka
500ml (2 cups) water
280g (1 1/4 cups) sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 tablespoons instant coffee

Mix sugar, water, coffee together and bring to a slow boil. Turn heat down and simmer for 1 hour. Remove from heat, cover liquid with cling film. Let sit for 12 hours. Add vodka and vanilla, stir well. Pour into a bottle and chill.

What are you waiting for? It's 5 o'clock somewhere....

The small print: I bear no responsibility for any state you get yourself into when partaking in these goodies, I will however laugh my socks off if you produce any interesting coloured vomit. I'm only missing blue in the Rainbow Sick Club.

19 Comments:

At 12:20 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, that Baileys is going to taste so good! Thanks for the recipe. :)

 
At 2:21 am, Blogger Cerridwen said...

Hmm...will have to keep thoes recipies in mind for the next party we have. THough, I don't really drink anymore. THe last time I did, I threw up on my dad. Good times, really, though he didn't enjoy it.

 
At 1:37 pm, Blogger T said...

Ooh, yum. Strumpet is such a good word isn't it?

 
At 2:12 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

You are cracking me up!

 
At 3:12 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Kahula sounds pretty good!

 
At 6:06 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Mmmmm yummy!!

 
At 6:20 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Margaritas Azul will solve your rainbow sick club problem. You need blue curacao, which is orange flavored. Don't ask me, I didn't invent it.

 
At 6:45 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Oh crikey, those would seriously mess with my gut! LOL! They sound very good though.

 
At 8:58 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Rainbow sick club - that's good! So good I'm gonna steal it. :-D

 
At 10:40 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Oooh! Like the Options hot choc idea... yum!

You're very funny!

 
At 6:33 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

Mmmm, I really ought not to know about that Bailey's fudge . . .

thanks!

 
At 6:46 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Mmmmm...thank you for sharing these! A nice chuckle AND great alcoholic recipes? Best blogger ever :)

 
At 6:53 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Enjoy the recipes folks.

Cerridwen - I'm sure he loved you for that! I don't drink very often these days so I was sick on my shoes last time I was out.

Nanatoo - I love that word.

DO - I've gone through copious amounts of Blue Curacao but it always come out green - I'm sure you wanted to know that. Lol, it's not like we deliberately drink ourselves to puking but accidents happen. Orange was a pretty spectacular event.

Sue - we also have special mentions for funniest location, most inconvenient moment, the Exorcist Award (most projectile), the list goes on.... The current leader in the sick stakes is known as the Chunder Wonder.

 
At 9:15 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Wow. That all sounds so, so good. You're a terrible influence.

 
At 10:18 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Thanks for the comments! - can I in turn offer my favourite cocktail recipe for Brandy Alexanders (as in more than 1 of them!) - For each drink, 1 measure Brandy, 1 measure Creme de Cacao, 2 measures cream. Shake over ice. Strain. Drink. Repeat as necessary(!)

 
At 9:06 am, Blogger Rain said...

TG - I aim to please!

Mary-Lou, that sounds really good. i'm with you on the 'more than one' philosophy.

Aurora - lol, I'll try, although it's not something we try to do on purpose, most of them are accidents.

 
At 10:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, you know how to drink right! Those all sound wonderful. I'll have to give 'em a try at the next opportunity. (Too bad they don't let me keep a liquor supply at work.)

 
At 5:10 am, Blogger Knittypants said...

Yum, yum, yum! Thanks for sharing :-)

 
At 2:19 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yummo... Add cream, a little coconut essence and chocolate topping, leave out the coffee and you have the drink to die for...
I used to make this and started off with a small glass of it after work, listening to Mike Oldfield. Eventually, I was having a MUG of the rotgut!!!! Hmmmmm.. I should make some tomorrow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home