Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Friday, May 12, 2006

Workstation Stash

I don't think I'm quite at S.A.B.L.E proportions (Stash Amassed Beyond Life Expectancy) but I'm getting there. We won't even go into my Mum's stash, that's a whole different animal - between the two of us I think we could stock a shop. My Mum knew she'd created a monster when she realised she had a 9 year old with a stash to rival her own. I still have the first ever yarn I proudly bought with my own pocket money. Many years on we're as bad as each other and raid each other's supply.

I've needed to do a good sort out for ages so I dragged everything downstairs for a tidy up. I like my yarn to be bagged and tagged - basically kept clean but easily searchable. There was lots of rewinding, weighing and cataloguing going on. I've updated a spreadsheet to include all of it- easily searchable by weight, amount, type and colour. It's going to be so much easier to match yarn to projects in future. As stashes go it's not the most exciting in the world, mostly acrylic but it keeps me happy. It's funny how there's so much there and yet I still lament that I have nothing to knit with.

I've got it sorted into 9 of the plastic tubs and am determined to keep it tidy. Each tub has something different in it so as long as I don't start moving things around it should behave itself. It was one of those occasions where you wish you'd never started something but it was worth it in the end. We won't go into how I could have cried once I'd finished when I found another bin bag full of yarn that I'd forgotten about. Fortunately it was large amounts that didn't need much sorting.

As far as the knitting has been going I'm still working on gifts, the intended recipients swing by here from time to time so I daren't post them until later. Two of them are my own patterns which for once I've actually written down properly as I've worked, so I should be able to get them up soon. It makes a change from indecipherable squiggles on the back of an envelope. Hmm, I must be ill, all of this organisation isn't right.

20 Comments:

At 11:10 am, Blogger acrylik said...

I'm not worthy! That is organisation on a grand scale - well done you!

 
At 11:24 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

I did reorganization when we flashed our stash in April. I found I had even more lovely stuff than I thought. and I felt lighter.
"...indecipherable squiggles on the back of an envelope..." I laugh so hard when I read that, that's just what I do.
:-)

 
At 1:17 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that's some great organization! I always feel like I need to go and buy more yarn when I see other people's stash. Mine pales in comparison!

 
At 1:29 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

I am awed by your efficiency!

 
At 2:02 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Wow! Do you want to come organize mine next? :)

 
At 2:07 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

you are too organized!! A spreadsheet??? I'm speechless! :)

 
At 2:43 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I did a spreadsheet right before FYS too. And as you know, I've amassed quit a bit since. And I haven't updated the spreadsheet. I guess I know what I'll be doing on the next rainy weekend.

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger T said...

SO worth it, although I can imagine the hard work, especially as there was yarn not found until later! I wish your mum blogged too. She's probably too busy knitting to blog, lol. It's ok, I just want a few more 'older style' people to make me feel less ancient ;)

There's nothing wrong with acrylic, the things you've made are just beautiful.

I think my new nickname for you is '9 tubs'. Isn't it just hateful that there's yarn with no pattern planned? I just hate that. It keeps me awake at night.

 
At 6:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm impressed! I just organized my closet and I think I'm done organizing for a while-yuk! I have to say, I do like the idea of having everything written down. Hmmm

 
At 8:55 pm, Blogger String Bean said...

I Just organized my stash, too. It's pretty scary. I didn't realize how much sock yarn I had.

Nice scale, by the by.

 
At 7:08 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Oh my.
Tubs and tubs and tubs.

I cleaned the floor of the yarn room yesterday -- do you think this is a seasonal affliction?

 
At 12:43 pm, Blogger Batty said...

Thank you for the inspiration! I just got some folders from our office move, and a bunch of page protectors -- loose pattern organizing time!
But you are on a completely different level. Organized stash, not just shoved into bags in a closet... a spreadsheet, even! You go!

 
At 1:45 pm, Blogger Rain said...

It's definitely worth keeping it all down on a spreadsheet if only for the searchability factor. Now I know exactly what's lurking and where.

Samantha - you must be joking, it took hours.

Nanatoo - it's taken me long enough to teach her to text! I do keep meaning to show off some of her stuff though. We have such different tastes in knitting.

StringBean - I couldn't live without my scale, it's the best thing I 've bought recently.

Stefaneener - I do think it's seasonal, I have a sudden urge to start tidying up. My clothes are next.

 
At 5:11 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great job organizing your stash -- the spread sheet is an excellent idea!

 
At 2:19 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

You inspired me to catalogue my own stash today, there is a definite case of the spring cleaning bug going around! It's all going on a spreadsheet tomorrow too!

 
At 4:20 am, Blogger Heather said...

Wow, I'm amazed, a spreadsheet? I haven't built up too much of a stash yet since I've only been obsessively knitting for about a year now. But it is a sickness and I know it'll only get worse from now on. Maybe I should start a spreadsheet now before things get out of hand!

 
At 1:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You still have the first yarn you ever bought? You are a born stasher.

I love the satisfaction of a freshly organized stash. It kind of makes me feel more in control of the whole situation...which in turn makes me feel empowered to keep adding to it....

 
At 3:10 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

You are so organized! You have everything! You even have a spreadsheet for it all, just amazing!

 
At 5:05 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

I think I'm more envious you have a knitting mom! Mine just quilts. I can't pinch anything from that stash :-(

 
At 1:56 am, Blogger sheep#100 said...

Oh, my goodness. And you claim that you are not SABLE?! :o)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home