Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, May 25, 2006

Jiminy Cricket

Personally, I have always looked upon cricket as organised loafing. - William Temple, Archbishop of Canterbury 1925.

Cricket is one of those games that is classed as a 'boys' game in English schools, so the girls rarely play it and very few have any concept of the rules. I wasn't so lucky. My brothers both played, but the one closest in age to me was exceptional at it. Muggins here is also rather good at it - well bowling anyway because Boy Wonder needed someone to practise with. Granted at times most younger sisters would take great delight in throwing a very hard leather ball at their brother but it gets awfully boring never being allowed to bat. Since we're very much a sporting family (5 siblings and an inbuilt competitive nature) I'm very keen to encourage my nephews in various sports. That's why I didn't mind being conned into making Kyle a cricket slipover when he was chosen for the school team.

Cricket is a game which the British, not being a spiritual people, had to invent in order to have some concept of eternity. - Lord Mancroft

Thanks goodness he didn't want sleeves. I know the feeling on the eternity front, this took forever to knit. Cables bore me. There - I said it! They bore me. Although I started this with gusto I definitely tapered off towards the end. I had wanted it done for last weekend but took 3 days off from knitting as an avoidance tactic. The knitty gritty - I almost went for a cotton blend for this, but then I remembered that cream is a ridiculous colour for cricket as the players get covered in grass stains so I went for acrylic instead. I figured something that could be thrown in the washer and tumble dryer would be appreciated more by my sister. It took 200g of cream plus scraps to match his school uniform. It's quite a soft acrylic and feels really nice. The pattern came from Patons Summer Collection 1987 and was slightly adapted to look like the official England team jumpers. I chose to make it in the round to save time on seaming even though it drives me nuts to knit round and round in circles. He's a gangly 11 year old so I made it a 36" chest as they are worn long and baggy, he should get wear out of it next summer too. His other great love is swimming but I don't think he'd thank me for knitted trunks.

23 Comments:

At 11:29 am, Blogger T said...

Blimey mate, you aren't half clever. That's great. On a sunny evening cricket isn't bad at all, with the addition of some drinks and food :D

Knitted trunks makes me think of Billy Connolly and his stories :)

 
At 12:05 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

this vest is a great success!! just looking at it (for us Yankes) it says "cricket" you really captured the spirit. you are so right with acrylic for boys!

 
At 1:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Am laughing at the cricket quotes! I used to be totally cricket obsessed, being from India, but nowadays I don't watch it so much. The vest brings back nice memories of test matches, sun, a green ground... it's beautiful.

 
At 2:40 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

I love the sweatervest. Now I've got half a mind to make one for my little bro.
I've got five sibs too--I understand the competitive nature!

 
At 3:27 pm, Blogger Batty said...

Don't understand cricket, but that is a great vest! How many kids get to wear one that was made with love and fan support knit right into the fabric?

Your nephew is one lucky boy.

 
At 3:41 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

It looks great! Cables bore me as well...I guess I just find them a bit cumbersome. Great job sticking with it though! I am sure that he will love it.

 
At 4:14 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

The cricket vest turned out very well, lovely work :-) I actually quit like cricket, it seems a lot more civilised than the likes of football :-D

 
At 4:36 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks guys

Nanatoo - I do like cricket, but prefer the beach variety to the 3 day long eternal variety. Knitted trunks - *giggles*

Thanks HPNY, my sister's boys tend to be mud magnets.

Desiknitter - I'm not surprised you were into it, you usually beat the pants off everyone else.

Bezzie - lol, we get terrible especially in discussions to determine the favourite child.

Batty - it's not an easy game to follow, if a game takes 3 days to decide who wins by the end of it who cares?

KF - I'm glad it's not just me.

DC - I like playing but can't bear watching - you could finish War and Peace by the end of a match, although the new 20/20 cricket can be exciting.

 
At 6:33 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

The vest is wonderful! The cables look very nice, even if they were boring.

I tried to watch cricket once (my husband is a big football fan, so we get ALL the sports channels for the English Premier League and Champions League games), but was completely unable to decipher what was going on and why.

If you decide to make knitted swim trunks, I want to see pictures! Maybe a 1920s style swimming costume with matching bathing cap?

 
At 7:24 pm, Blogger Baigneuse said...

Great sweater! He's a lucky kid.

Cricket is just another one of those mysterious sports I've heard of but never seen.

 
At 10:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy smokes, that's beautiful! Your nephew is so lucky, the other kids will be sooo jealous.

 
At 11:19 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Wow! That turned out great, you are the best auntie!

I really love your attention to detail, it makes your knitting so interesting, getting to check out the finishing touches.

 
At 1:52 am, Blogger KnitPastis said...

His vest is a beauty and if he can't fit in it....I bet I can!

 
At 2:30 am, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Thanks for the cricket quotes, too funny. I may not be English but I've been subjected to cricket on television (damn that satellite tv and it bazillion channels!) by someone who is. If it were possible to actually be bored to death, it would happen at a cricket match (game? bout?)

 
At 3:21 am, Blogger Zonda said...

That is an awesome job there! Bet you are so glad it is over with! ;)

 
At 3:34 am, Blogger Jerry & Maxy said...

I am SO SO SO impressed! It's a perfect vest. I do hope he likes it.

 
At 10:59 am, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks for your kind comments ladies.

Allison - something tells me knitted swimwear is best left in the past - think sagging!

KP - I've been meaning to make myself one for years, I was most jealous finally knitting one but not for me.

Lol, DO, they are matches, but I think torture sessions is more appropriate.

I think it can safely be said that cricket is a boring boy thing.

 
At 4:00 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Oh, it's so nice. What a lovely auntie you are.

And it's okay that you hate cables. I hate lace. Each to her own, you know?

Yay for sleeveless.

 
At 7:37 am, Blogger Seahorse said...

Fab pullover!

 
At 6:49 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

It's beautiful, I'm sure your nephew will love it.

 
At 1:46 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would love to have a cabled cardigan for myself. Could you tell me where I can get a pattern.? Thanks....If you made them, you do wonderful work. Those are just beautiful.....Susan

 
At 6:25 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You crack me up! Your nephew will love it, I do!

 
At 10:12 am, Blogger Formative Sports said...

Nice post. If anyone you want to buy cricket uniform then DRH Sports is the right place for you. We are one of the counted in the list of Cricket Uniforms Manufacturers. We are offering reasonable range in beautiful designs, logo and shades.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home