Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Smackdown

At work I was known as a bit of a technology expert. What qualified this? I own a laptop. In the eyes of my boss that made me his number one port of call for tech support. Never mind the whole department of real techies just a phonecall away, I was there at his beck and call and spent more time than I care to remember in his office doing all the tech stuff he felt was beyond him. Well this week I finally feel like I qualified for the title. As you know my camera fritzed on me so I took it into Jessop's to ask about getting it fixed. The guy informed me that it would be £40 for an estimate and likely to be around the £150 mark for the actual repair. Madness indeed. So a little dejected I went home. It's been playing up for a while so I tried one last time to get it to work. In absolute frustration I did the only thing left to me. I smacked it one. Who wants to see my sweater?


It looks a little washed out in the sun and is actually a warmer more caramel colour. I worked the eyelets every other row instead of every 4. I'd like to say this was a carefully considered design feature but has more to do with me starting it late at night and not reading the pattern properly. I'm not too bothered as I borrowed the pattern from a friend and it means our sweaters won't be identical. It's supposed to be in Sirdar Demin Ultra, an uber-chunky yarn but we both wanted to make it on the cheap so I was the guinea pig. A swatch revealed that chunky yarn used double acheived the same gauge and that it would cost only a third of the price of the Demin Ultra. Granted it was only acrylic for that price, but nothing makes me happier than a bargain sweater.

In the last week I've been in serious design mode with 2 designs in particular really exciting me. I've started one already and the yarn arrives for the other tomorrow. I have been a little sidetracked by the Fall Issue of Knitty. For me this is the best issue yet with several patterns now on my to-do list. Curses Team Knitty for throwing me when I had my next few projects all lined up! I was torn whether to start Serrano or Viveka first so I jumped in with Serrano (there's been too much stocking-stitch in my life recently). The real test will be tomorrow when my yarn arrives as I'll be at odds with myself what to work on. I hate having multiple WIPs and I'm all of a dither at the moment.

You have to promise not to go all gooey-eyed and forget the knitting because I can't resist a gratuitous puppy picture - even if she did butt into the rest of the photos.

34 Comments:

At 1:49 pm, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

awwww you are REALLY making want a puppy now, seeing how Cassie is what I want. She sooo gorgeous! Who couldn't resist that face!

 
At 2:21 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

Hooray for low tech solutions to high tec problems!

The sweater is lovely. Not looking at Cassie. No, no way, shutting my eyes right now! ;)

 
At 2:53 pm, Blogger T said...

Lovely jumper, good job :) And a great colour for a guinea pig ;o)

Serrano's looking really pretty already. And so's Cassie :)

 
At 3:12 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Smacked it! I can see it now and then you just turned around and shot this amazing photo of you in the sweater.LOL Tell me about Knitty! Those are the exact two sweaters that I love too. My skill level though, would only allow me to knit possibly the Viveka. Are you going to do the same type of closure for the Serrano or a zipper. I would like to see it with a zipper.
PS. You should join Grey's KAL..

 
At 3:50 pm, Blogger ~Silvia~ said...

Ack for £150 i could have told you to smack it one myself!!
I am interested what Yarn you are using for Viveka as i am interested in that myself..will I actually make it? Totaly different keetle of jumper!!
And show me a picture of an Ally pup and I roll over for a tummy tickle!!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:57 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

The sweater looks great! I love it. The new Knitty is really awesome and very distracting. There are a few patterns I'd love to knit from it. :)

Cassie is cute. I want to hug her and squish her. So cute.

 
At 6:53 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Aw, puppy! She's such a cutie.

Oh, right, the knitting. Beautiful sweater! Looks fantastic on you. Serrano (on my list, too!) is going to be lovely.

Perhaps you have a new calling? Charge people 150 per smack to their malfunctioning technology?

 
At 8:27 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Your sweater looks great and Serrano is looking lovely already. Now you know you shouldn't have shown me that - knowing how I'm dying to start it, too! Cassie looks adorable and glad you managed to 'fix' your camera. LOL

 
At 10:43 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Wait! She wasn't gnawing you your sweater sleeve was she? I hope just sniffing!

And yes, I understand completely--show a glimmer of knowing anything about computers, and they'll come to you for the rest of the time you're there.

 
At 12:28 am, Blogger Heather said...

I love the sweater, it's one of my favorites of yours yet!

I am also really impressed with this issue of Knitty. The last few have been sort of a bummer for me.

 
At 3:25 am, Blogger Trillian42 said...

Ooh - your Serrano is looking lovely! What yarn are you using?

And OHMYGOSH that puppy! So sweet! Such a face!

 
At 12:07 pm, Blogger Wye Sue said...

Being an ex techie, one of our fav solutions was blowing in drives (to move the dust) or hitting things....

Cassie very cute, jumper very good ;-)

 
At 12:24 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

I laughed so hard "who wants to see my sweater..."
the camel sweater looks good. they say if you repeat a mistake enough times it becomes a design feature...
I agree about knitty- great stuff- serrano is a show stopper.
a good reason to have a few WIP is to keep the mind exercising. I reas somewhere it is good to switch as it makes our brain "work" and like muscles- its good for the synapses.

 
At 12:32 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Oh, that knitty... it's dangerous! My fingers have been itching for Serrano since it came out, but I'm on a strict knitting schedule, so I'll have to live vicariously through you :) Love the eyelet sweater - for a third of the price? Can't beat that with a bat...

 
At 1:14 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Congrats on the tried and trusted technical support approach with the camera :-D

Love your sweater, and Serrano is looking great so far.

Cassie is gorgeous :-)

 
At 4:20 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Cool sweater! Yay for bargains! Your puppy is just too freakin' cute!

 
At 5:12 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

I'm so glad you're back! The puppy is just too too adorable. I love the way she's flopped on your lap. I wish you were here to smack my lace knitting.

 
At 5:24 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Your sweater is gorgeous but you know I love Cassie more!

 
At 5:53 pm, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

Glad to see you solved the problem with the camera, and the eyelet sweater looks really good ... well done!

 
At 5:55 pm, Blogger Batty said...

That's a wonderful sweater. The color is perfect on you, it fits great, and as an extra bonus, the pup seems to like it too.

Personally, I believe that most technology-related problems can be solved by hitting or kicking the item in question. Don't know why, but it does work.

 
At 8:33 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Looking forward to seeing your sweaters, Fall Knitty is a great one.

Your puppy is so cute!!

 
At 9:42 pm, Blogger Badger said...

That sweater looks just grand, and Cassie is a total honey :)

 
At 11:02 pm, Blogger Piglottie said...

Love the sweater, and Cassie is such a cutie!

 
At 1:18 am, Blogger Dina said...

Now if only I can use that same "smack" technique on the gas gauge!

OK, I need to get into "sweater mode."

I thought about doubling a bulky myself and am glad to hear that it worked out for you. That sweater and Serrano are beautiful -- great fall colors!

I found the new Knitty distracting as hell, but not as distracting as cute Cassie!

 
At 6:29 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Love the jumper! And I agree about this issue of Knitty. *sigh*. I'm done for...

 
At 12:02 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

If in doubt, restart it or smack it - that's my philosophy on technology too ;)

Love the jumper, it's a lovely design and all the better for the extra design elements :)

Cassie is just adorable - *sigh* I wish we had the room for one just like her.

 
At 1:09 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

I like your new profile pic! Your sweater looks fabulous and congrats on the bargain!

Your puppy is super cute.

 
At 2:47 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

Cute puppy!! Nice work on the sweater too! :)

 
At 3:51 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

I can't wait to see your finished Serrano! It's sure to be lovely. I like your color a lot.

 
At 8:40 pm, Blogger Becky said...

Very nice sweater for fall. I love Serrano, too, but it won't be on my list for a long time.

 
At 6:31 pm, Blogger Rachel said...

I love your sweater! It looks great for autumn. And cheap? Even better!

And good for you for showing your camera who's boss.

P.S. I might have said this before, but why do you have your blog set so only Blogger members can leave comments?

 
At 7:02 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks Ladies! I really like it.

Nice try Claire!

KP, I'll go for hook and eye tape if I can get it. A zips a great idea for an alternative though. I don't want to risk any spoilers so I'm steering clear of all Grey's talk.

Silvia, I'll be using Stylecaft Aran for my Viveka - sme shade as for my Starsky (April in my archive).

Allison- that sounds liek a business plan.

Hazel - you know you want to!

Bezzie - just sniffing, but she a bugger for grabbing my knitting.

Trillian - I'm using Patons Fairytale, a 4 ply acrylic/nylon. I'm trying to shift some of my stash.

Acrylik - you do. Plenty of walks combats a small garden!

Rachel- I've been having issues with my comments and as almost all of my commenters have an account it seemed the better option until I got it sorted.

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

PUPPY! I'm nearly reduced to babytalk at it's cuteness!

 
At 3:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cassie is gorgeous!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home