Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, October 26, 2006

Babes in the Hood

I am still back and forth at the hospital at lot at the moment which will be ongoing until the end of November so I don't have a whole lot of new stuff to show you. My current big project has to be kept under wraps and my smaller projects are still incomplete.

To make up for it I have a new look at some old favourites.
When I first started knitting for Scarlett i.e. within half an hour of hearing she was expected, I was very careful about sizing and choosing some bigger projects so her mum Jenn wasn't inundated with too many small things. This means that things I knitted 18 months ago are only just starting to fit and I get the most wonderful unexpected photos in my inbox that really make my day.

She's been walking for about 6 weeks now and is into mischief wherever she goes, but how could you get mad at such a cutie, no matter what she gets up to. The gilet is from Knits for Babies and Toddlers by Fiona McTague. I subbed the Jaeger Persia (a chenille) for bog standard DK acrylic in mink and the zip was put in during my very first attempt at using a sewing machine. To say I had to try a few times to get it right is an understatement, but it went in ok in the end. Initially I wanted to put duffle closures and toggles on it, but couldn't find any. Jenn has said loads of people have asked her where she bought it, so I must have done something right.

Jenn is going back to her native Canada this winter and we were discussing how Scarlett won't wear a hat and options for keeping her warm. Problem solved:

It appears that when I sewed the hood onto this, it's been done in such a way that she can't get it down over her face. No shopping at Bluewater for you my dear!

This was a Sirdar pattern, sold individually that I spied and couldn't leave in the shop. It's for Snowflake Chunky and I found a more affordable clone of the yarn from another company. I think it was called Cloud 9. The range of colours was limited to pale blue, yellow, pink, lilac and white. The yellow was more of an earwax than a lemon, so I chose the blue as the most uni-sex colour. This is one of my favourite of all the things I made for her. The pocket and polar bear are knitted as a separate piece and sewn onto the front.

Needless to say I do intend to fix the hood, so she won't be like Kenny forever.

35 Comments:

At 1:37 pm, Blogger Lara 900 said...

Those photos are adorable, Rain! I also love it when I get surprise photos of my kids' knits on the intended wearers. Even my non-knitting friends realize that and keep providing the photos.

--love that icebear hoodie.

 
At 1:42 pm, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

awwww adorable! I love the vest too cute!

 
At 3:59 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

How nice to see those pictures. I don't know about fixing that hood . . . sometimes it's a good thing to have something "escape-proof."

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh my word she is the cutest!!!! At least the Kenny hood makes for adorable pictures!

 
At 4:56 pm, Blogger Modelwidow said...

How cute, (the bear hoodie and Scarlet).

Hope the trips to hospital are helping.

 
At 5:41 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Awww! Those pictures are too cute! That's awesome that you get pics showing that your knits are being used. I have to train my sisters on that. Hmm.

 
At 6:24 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

OMG. I must knit more for the babies in my life! What a beautiful, happy little girl :) She was made to be a knitwear model it seems!

 
At 6:32 pm, Blogger Unknown said...

aToo, too cute! Although I must say that I don't ever remember ever having such a neatly piled toy box when my daughter was anywhere in the room ;-)

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Cuteness overload, great photos!

 
At 7:59 pm, Blogger Spinningsue said...

Gorgeous!

 
At 8:03 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

She is SO SO cute! I hope she'll carry on wanting loads of knitted garments in the years to come! ;-)

 
At 8:25 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

great solution to an adorable "problem"
:-)

 
At 8:29 pm, Blogger darlene mcleod said...

What a little doll! and the sweaters look like they both fit her so well!
And many kudos to you for taking your first stab at sewing machine sewing by setting a zipper! I still don't much like setting zippers, and I'm a seamstress!

 
At 8:55 pm, Blogger Craftydramaqueen said...

How cuuuutttte!
Big hugs. xxx

 
At 9:04 pm, Blogger Baigneuse said...

Awwww, those are both adorable and hilarious.

 
At 9:17 pm, Blogger T said...

It's amazing to see her standing when she's only just this minute been born!! :D Oh, you'll miss her when she goes to Canada.

 
At 9:30 pm, Blogger Charity said...

Those are awesome photos, Rain! What a sweetheart! :0)

 
At 12:53 am, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

I could DIE from the cuteness. Warn someone before you do that!

 
At 9:43 am, Blogger artyfartykat said...

Scarlst looks ssooooo cute. I love the photo in the blue hoody, she looks gorgeous. You are so clever!!

 
At 12:45 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

That's a great idea to knit things in various sizes. Scarlett is such a ray of sunshine - always smiling and looks so cute in your creations.

 
At 2:23 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

Too cute! I love both patterns and she is adorable. :) I hope that you are feeling ok. Best wishes to you.

 
At 3:39 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

She is very cute, she could get away with anything! and off course she looks so sweet with your knits.

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger bethc said...

So cute!! I kind of like the Kenny look, a Sirdar pattern I made for my little guy had the same problem!

 
At 4:15 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, cute baby knits on a cute little model! I like the Kenny hood, actually, and I bet she can't pull it off :)

 
At 1:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely adorable!
I hope the treatments are working!

 
At 10:04 pm, Blogger cpurl17 said...

What a cutie pie! Those sweaters are adorable I need to find a cute baby to knit for.

 
At 10:14 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have such an eye for baby and toddler things -- I love pretty much everything you make for kiddos. Those are both great!

 
At 1:54 am, Blogger Diane said...

Well done Rain! They both suit her personality and it shouts from these pics.....FUN!!and cute too!:)

 
At 12:08 pm, Blogger Rain said...

Thanks for your kind comments, she's a joy to knit for and such a cute model.

T - fortunately that trip to Canada is just a visit.

 
At 12:40 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Aww, those pictures are so sweet. The knits look wonderful on her. :)

 
At 8:11 am, Blogger Mary-Lou said...

SOooo cute (such a pity they grow up into teenagers - ewwww!)

 
At 9:18 am, Blogger acrylik said...

Sooooo adorable! What a beauty!

 
At 4:04 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

So cute! LMAO at the Kenny reference.

 
At 10:06 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

There's nothing like seeing your beautiful hand-knitted items on this cute baby! So cute!

 
At 2:18 am, Blogger Batty said...

I'm melting. My hormones love babies in pretty hand-knit sweaters!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home