Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Great Expectations

When I got my latest yarn bargain I fully expected to turn this...









...into that with very few problems. But...

The main problem came when I took a closer look at the pattern (Verena magazine - Herbst 2006) and realised I was short on yarn. It came from a closing down sale for a bargainous £2 a ball (RYC Cashsoft - 57% extra fine merino/ 33% microfibre/ 10% cashmere) it usually retails at £4.45. It was so in demand that it was impossible to get more than the 10 balls I initially purchased. Knowing my recent luck with yarn it just wasn't worth the risk. I uhmmed and ahhed for a few days, considered other yarn in my stash and then proceeded to sulk for 3 days until I decided to live dangerously. I took another look at the pattern to see if I could cut any corners and realised that it was made as two 'T' pieces so that the sleeves were knitted sideways instead of cuff to shoulder. This bothered me to the point that I reached for my clipboard and did a complete re-write of the pattern in a more traditional construction. It took a bit of tweaking and I altered the stitch pattern slightly, but I finally got the numbers to work out in a way that made me happy. I worked the 3x3 rib section in the round and then worked the patterned part flat in one piece to the armholes. The sleeves were then worked separately. I also changed the cables so they twist a different way on each side as I feel it looks better especially when the cables are following a neck line. It was a super speedy knit - hurrah for big needles, I started on the 5th and finished last night - at this rate it could be two sweaters a month! (I wish).
And those great expectations of running out of yarn.....? It only took 8 balls :)

Check out my cheeky pup! While I expect small children to go through that awkward stage where they pull faces in every photo nobody ever mentioned that puppies do it too! She's nine and a half months old now and very much the stroppy teenager.

Sorry folks - I really am neglecting you and your blogs at the moment. Please bear with me, I haven't forgotten any of you, I've been writing the pattern for the next SnB book. I also booked a much needed holiday on a whim a few days ago and have yet to pack a thing. I'm away from tomorrow morning until the 6th of May when I shall sit down with a cuppa and read through all of your exploits that I've missed. Behave yourselves while I'm gone - especially if your name is Sue!

40 Comments:

At 5:37 pm, Blogger Linda said...

That sweater is absolutely gorgeous! It is so scarey when you think you are going to run out of yarn isn't it! I can't wait to see your SnB pattern, how exciting!Have a lovely holiday. x

 
At 5:55 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Absolutely lovely Rain!

Enjoy your holiday and you behave too!! I've heard the stories... I know what you're like...

;-P

 
At 6:49 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

It looks great!!
Don't worry about the blogs, they are like a soap opera, you can start back at any time and catch up in a day or so.

 
At 7:20 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

That's fabulous Rain! I'm in awe of your rewriting skills!

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger Kimberly said...

You're brilliant!! I love it and it's fab on you.
Don't worry about not getting to other blogs, we all go through our tough times. You do what's important in real life and keep knitting up those sweaters, we all understand. :-))

 
At 7:37 pm, Blogger cpurl17 said...

That sweater is so gorgeous. Well done! You amaze me.


You're not missing much on my blog: yarn, cats, knit socks and back again

 
At 7:55 pm, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

oh my gosh! I LOVE IT! That is one fablucio sweater,don't suppose there'll be a pattern for that anytime soon will there *wink wink*
Have a fabby holiday

 
At 7:56 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great sweater! Have a wonderful vacation.

 
At 8:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, in my opinion yours came out SO much nicer than the one pictured. I never would have looked twice at it originally, but yours is just gorgeous!

Enjoy that much-needed vacation!

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Wow! I totally like your take on that sweater MUCH better than the original pattern.

Now that I have attempted to tweak a pattern on my own and had not as fabulous results as you--I bow down to your amazing tweaking abilities!

Have a good vacation!

 
At 8:51 pm, Blogger T said...

That's lovely! The colour suits you.
Have a great holiday :D

 
At 9:12 pm, Blogger Ling said...

Gorgeous sweater - well done on the rewrite.
Hope you have a lovely break.

 
At 10:23 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Oh, enjoy your holiday!! I'd ask you to behave too, but when you look as good as you do in that sweater, methinks it's too much to expect ;)

 
At 10:25 pm, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

the color works beautifulu with this pattern. its lovley.
have fun on holiday !

 
At 11:31 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

It is beautiful! Good for you as you really wanted to use that yarn too!! Enjoy your holiday!!!

 
At 12:05 am, Blogger Pinkwool said...

Beautiful, Rain! What a gorgeous sweater and I love how it looks on you. Very chic.

Enjoy your holiday. I'd love to holiday right now so think of me while you are gone. Lol

 
At 12:12 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

Hurray for having enough yarn, and an even bigger hurray for holidays. Have a nice time away :)

 
At 12:21 am, Blogger Becky said...

What a wonderful result! It looks great on you, too. And soft? I'm sure it is. What a great job!

 
At 2:21 am, Blogger Alisha said...

Love the sweater!!

Enjoy your time away!!!

 
At 2:55 am, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The sweater looks awesome! That is wonderful that you ended up not even needing all the yarn for it...way much better than running out, eh?

 
At 5:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks lovely, i'm glad you didn't give up and made the pattern work for you.

looking forward to seeing your s&b pattern, so exciting!

happy holidays :-)

 
At 6:44 am, Blogger Psyched2Knit said...

AWESOME sweater. I love the color! It looks great on you as well.

 
At 4:18 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

It looks WONDERFUL. Cassie is a dear. I hope you enjoy your much-deserved holiday.

So. . . want to knit some of my sweaters so I can catch up?

 
At 6:26 pm, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

That's a great looking sweater and looks great on you. I just hate that 'have I got enough yarn'feeling
Enjoy your hols :)

 
At 7:12 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Oh wow, that's fantastic and it's a lovely colour too.

Don't worry about the blogs, that happens to me quite regularly! ;-)

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

It looks great! Have a wonderful holiday!

 
At 6:48 pm, Blogger artyfartykat said...

The jumper looks great, it really suits you! Well done you on yet another pattern 'jiggle'!
Enjoy your holiday too!

 
At 10:42 pm, Blogger Diane said...

I LOVE the jumper Rain , you have a lot of patience to tweak that and get it to turn out looking really good too!...nice picture of you and Cassie again...at least she sits still and will let you get a picture...our Jack barks and runs and hides in the bathroom!LOL.....thats where you'll find him if there's a bee or wasp in the house too.....all in all i think he may be all mouth and no trousers!!
Have a lovely holiday!! Hope you've got a project ready to take with you :)

 
At 11:39 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

What a lovely sweater, it looks much prettier than the original too I think! Have a lovely holiday!

 
At 7:07 am, Blogger Charity said...

Rain, you look wonderful! I'm using the Cashsoft DK for socks right now, and it's so lovely. I can only imagine a sweater knit of it! :0)

 
At 2:24 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

What an amazing jumper, Rain, I love your re-writing of the pattern. Just gorgeous.

Have a wonderful time on your hols!

 
At 3:04 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

Gorgeous! I love the arms you created better than the original. Wonderful job!

 
At 10:51 am, Blogger KnitYoga said...

The jumper looks gorgeous and well done on the modifications. Hope you have a great holiday!

 
At 8:04 am, Blogger Holly said...

wh25la11Well done Rain you are clever , I could never have done that.angie Cox ..using Holly's account as you have no alternative to Blogger.

 
At 8:52 pm, Blogger Craftydramaqueen said...

Wow! Your version of the jumper is much nicer. Well done. Hope you've had a nice break.

 
At 9:53 am, Blogger Badger said...

Absolutely lovely :)

 
At 9:55 am, Blogger Badger said...

That's lovely, and such a flattering fit.

 
At 4:46 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Have a Great Holiday!!!!!!

Jumper looks Gaaarrrrhjus!!

I've missed you and all my blogging friends - but it's reet good fun catchin up :o)

Love the pup's expression - classic!

 
At 3:04 pm, Blogger knitty_kat said...

the sweater is stunning!!

 
At 3:18 am, Blogger Delana said...

That sweater is fabulous! Your pattern altering skills amaze me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home