Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Time flies...

It hardly seems like 5 minutes since Scarlett was born, so when the invite for her first birthday party came through the door it was a bit of shock. They live at the other end of the country to me so a mammoth train journey dahn sarf was in order. I last saw her when she was 6 months old (about 6 weeks before she started to walk) and although I'd seen her in pictures I was a bit taken by surprise, she's so itty bitty it defies possibility to see her confidently strutting around the house without a care in the world.

Nick and Jenn have truly been blessed with this little one. I only heard her cry three times in four days and she is all smiles and happiness and never stops laughing. Her antics are hilarious and I spy a future knitter, she did a runner with my yarn on more than one occasion as well as making off with various other supplies. Speaking of future knitters, I taught Jenn to purl and decrease while I was there and she made an adorable little beanie with the left overs from a garter stitch blanket she made when Scarlett was born. Plans for more adventurous garments have been made to coincide with my next trip.

Such a pretty little girl needs a pretty little dress so I couldn't resist making this little number from 'Candy Babies' by Candi Jensen. I looked everywhere for Chinese fabric but the colours I found all seemed a little garish for such a little one. In the end I opted for a gorgeous embroidered bridal fabric and then matched the yarn to it. The best match was Rowan Cotton Glace and although it was completely the wrong gauge for the pattern I adapted it to fit. My sewing leaves a lot to be desired, I put the skirt on it on the train, but it's passable despite needing a good talking to with the iron. I made the 18 month size so it will fit towards the summer, but she's such a dainty little tot it may be longer before it will go on her.


I had such a lovely time that I can't wait to see her again. We have a lot in common especially when it comes to cake...

29 Comments:

At 12:26 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

ROTFLOL! The baby is precious and loved the cake shot {GG}. I think you did a brilliant job with the knit bodice on that skirt-looks fine to me.

Future knitters of the world, unite :-)

 
At 1:43 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

What adorable pictures! I love the half knitted, half sewn dress. What a great idea!

 
At 2:09 pm, Blogger T said...

She's a poppet:) The dress you made is a beauty. Good to see you passing on your skills to Jenn too :)

 
At 2:29 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh too freaking cute! I love the action shots!

I love the half knitted dress as well! Love the colors you went with. And that gives me some great ideas to recycle a gorgeous dress I have in my closet but erm, am too old to pull off anymore ;-)

Thank goodness for baby girls!

 
At 2:36 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

Great pics! The dress is gorgeous!

 
At 5:06 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, she is so cute!! I love seeing little babies walking who look like they aren't big enough to know how yet. And the dress is gorgeous, I love the colors and fabric you chose, what a delightful princess dress.

 
At 5:24 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

She's precious! What a smile!! That dress is gorgeous!!

 
At 5:54 pm, Blogger Stefaneener said...

Awwwww. Every baby needs an admirer like you! Nice skirt and good for you for teaching Jenn.

 
At 6:00 pm, Blogger DomesticOverlord said...

Adorable! The dress and the baby. I'm glad you had a nice time on your trip.

 
At 6:20 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dress is gorgeous!! Great job.

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Ha! That's the way to eat cake!!! The dress is so beautiful and girly and precious... I'm sure she'll look like an angel in it :)

 
At 6:48 pm, Blogger Batty said...

She's adorable, and that is such a pretty dress! I love the knit/sew combination. It makes me wish I could sew decently!

 
At 9:05 pm, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Another adorable baby outfit! The dress is beautiful.

She's an adorable little one!

 
At 3:16 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What an adorable little girl and how lucky she is to have such fabulous knits from you. I love those dresses. Oh and I think she has a bit of me in her-that's how I love my cake too. :)

 
At 6:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My she totaly adorable and that little dress will look wonderful on her.

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger Craftydramaqueen said...

That is the only way to eat cake!! Love the dresses.

 
At 4:37 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

babies steal the show!
:-)

 
At 1:37 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That baby is beautiful! The dress you made is lovely, remember to take a picture of her in it.

 
At 7:29 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Scarlett is adorable! That cake picture is fantastic :)

Your dress is just beautiful, Scarlett is going to look so precious in it.

 
At 7:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's funny what a difference color choices can make in a pattern. I never would have looked twice at the original, but yours is just so sweet and lovely! Great job.

 
At 8:21 pm, Blogger artyfartykat said...

Oh Scarlett is gorgeous! And the cake photo will be one that will be pulled out in 17 years time!!
The dress looks fab!

 
At 9:53 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

She's absolutely adorable, what a happy smiley little girl :-) The dress you made for her is ever so pretty. Just don't let her wear it where cake is involved :-D

 
At 10:11 pm, Blogger Charity said...

What a little ray of sunshine! :0)

 
At 1:04 am, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

What a sweel little girl! The dress you made her is so adorable!

 
At 11:59 am, Blogger Modelwidow said...

The little dress is gorgeous, and love the cake piccy too.

 
At 5:11 am, Blogger String Bean said...

Looks like we all eat our cake the same way. All on our face, none in our mouth!

I know a similarly sweet baby girl. I love the dress you made for Scarlett.

 
At 4:29 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

What an adorable baby and a cute little dress. :) Thanks for sharing.

PS. I hope you're doing okay --- in regard to the last post you blogged --- {{{hugs}}}

 
At 12:16 am, Blogger Alisha said...

What a beautiful baby and that dress will look so sweet on her...I love it!!!

 
At 4:23 pm, Blogger Dina said...

I really love the Candy Babies dresses and the fabric you chose! How cute Scralett is and lucky to have an Auntie Rain!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home