Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Monday, January 01, 2007

...in with the new

Happy New Year! I hope it's a wonderful one for each and every one of you.

I wanted to start the year with a plan and a few resolutions tentative guidelines to get myself off to a good start.

First and foremost I want to reduce my stash. I won't stop myself from buying more yarn, but I will make more of an effort to try and use what I've got in. Better organisation is also high up on the cards. I've just gone for a new yarn storage system that's less easy to mess up than the last one, rather than needing to dig through tubs I've put it in those underbed storage bags with a clear zip up lid so I can see what's where straight away. I need to update my spreadsheets though and plan to do it using Craftmemo. My patterns are next with a filing system about to be implemented.


I'm also going to keep track of what I'm up to in a knitting diary. I tend to lose sheets of my clipboard or mix up the order so I felt a book would be easier to manage. It's mainly for own designs but will probably end up with lists of things I want to make and whatnot.

I'm fortunate to have two designs being published this year. I have a lot of ideas in my head that I want to get written up and sent off. I really want to push that side of my knitting this year.

I've already mentioned the UFOs that need finishing up, or if I decide I don't really want the item I'm going to frog it rather than leaving it hanging around. I already have a list of things of a few things I want to make this year, but I'm not going to be too influenced or bogged down by it. It's more of a wishlist than a commandment.

Glampyre's Simple Knitted Bodice
Socks (I'm finally joining the dark side)
Super secret ain't tellin' ya lace project.
Crossover cardi from Verena 3/06
Cable and lace jumper from Verena 3/06
Garter stitch jumper from Verena 3/06
Cable cardi from Drops

I'm also planning on a few new techniques. I generally learn new things as they come up rather than go out of my way to learn something new for the sake of it but there are a few things I want to try out at some point. Sock knitting is pretty high on my agenda, I have some lovely sock yarn languishing in my stash and I'll need something small to KIP with in the summer. I'm also going to attempt steeking, Grace is still unworn and unloved but with a bit of scissor action she'll be wearable. I'm going to do some felting this year too. Lace knitting is also creeping in, it's not so much a new skill as something I want to challenge myself with. I'm more of a product than a process knitter so I find it pointless putting so much work into something I won't wear but I have a very cunning plan...

Watch this space!

33 Comments:

At 5:41 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

Oh I'm watching!!

Socks aren't so bad. I'm not 100% enamored, but you're right, they make good travel projects.

Thanks for the link to Craftmemo. I spent all day Friday doing an inventory of my stash...I was just going to do a Google spreadsheet..maybe I'll scope out that Craftmemo instead!

 
At 5:50 pm, Blogger CelticCastOn said...

DENNIS THE MENACE SWEATER!!!!
I love it! I haven't seen Dennis the Menace in years!!

 
At 5:58 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Good luck with the tentative guidelines!

 
At 6:30 pm, Blogger cpurl17 said...

I get so annoyed with Bloglines when it doesn't show someone has new posts...but the good side is that i have several new ones to read on your blog!

I can't wait to see more of your fabulous knitting in '07!!

 
At 6:41 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

It will be fun watching you work toward your goals, And you have some really lovely projects lined up.

Getting organized sounds like a good idea, too, maybe I will have to try it.

 
At 7:13 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

Happy New Year Rain!

I am totally going to get into this STASH Busting 2007! So tired of looking at yarn that has been sitting around forever.LOL

 
At 7:54 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

to see your into stash sorting/busting as well. I have some plans to in that direction so I be interested to see what you get up to. I will check out Craftmemo..I know you mentioned it before so I shall have a propper look at it now

 
At 8:49 pm, Blogger Linda said...

You sound like you have got lots of knitting plans! I loved looking at all the years knits and thank you for the craftmemo link. Best wishes for 2007!

 
At 10:08 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

Great way to organize! Good luck! I think we're all into stashbusting a bit!

 
At 10:38 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

Looks like it's going to be a productive year for you! Glad to hear you're crossing the great sock divide :) Welcome to the fold!

 
At 12:11 am, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Well hoorah for the stash storage and pattern filing! I don't feel quite so alone now with my 3 small concertina files of patterns arranged by type ... :-D Best of luc with the stashbusting too! Hey I might be the only knitter left who hasn't made socks now :-)

 
At 2:02 am, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

I saw a link to your blog on Lickety Knit, and thought I would stop by and say hello. I'll bookmark your blog and be back again!

 
At 4:36 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

You're going to be busy, but it will be nice. I think everyone has high hopes at the beginning of another year with the needles.

 
At 6:11 am, Blogger Charity said...

Sounds like you have some great plans for the new year! I'll enjoy watching your progress. :0)

 
At 1:23 pm, Blogger Piglottie said...

Happy New Year Rain and I hope its a good one for you. Good luck with all your new plans, and shall look forward to following your knitting and designing adventures.

 
At 3:55 pm, Blogger T said...

I'm with you on the sock knitting Rain, think I'm going to get into that a bit more myself. I'll let you do the steeking alone though :)
Nice tidying up going on!

 
At 7:26 pm, Blogger Pinkwool said...

I can't wait to see your designs, rain. You come up with the best stuff! You need to write a book on baby stuff since yours is all fun, cutesy and hip. I'd buy it!! :)

You know I am all about stash busting. No yarn purchases for me for 9 mos (save for those 2 projects and special requests) and i am re-organizing my stash into projects. Fun!

 
At 8:13 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm watching as well!! Thanks for the craft memo link-cool. Have a great new year!! I hope to see lots and lots of you. :)

 
At 8:59 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck with your organizing. I have a knitting journal and love it!

 
At 9:58 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Organizing!!
I think guidelines are much better than resolutions, they can be amended as needed.

 
At 3:09 am, Blogger Batty said...

Last year, you impressed me with your amazing organizational talents. This year, you're getting even more organized! I'm starting to feel like a total knitting slob by comparison.

 
At 2:09 pm, Blogger Badger said...

Socks are the bestest ever! Good luck with all the resolutuions, and Happy New Year!

 
At 3:00 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

Your resolutions sound good and fair. De-stash, but not stop buying ... sounds like a most excellent plan. :)

 
At 3:33 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Socks!! Come on over to the dark side! You will be made most welcome :D

Happy New Year to you!

 
At 6:47 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
Good luck with your "guidelines"

 
At 7:54 pm, Blogger artyfartykat said...

When you've finished sorting out your stash, could you come and sort out mine ;) !!

 
At 9:39 pm, Blogger Dina said...

Happy new year to you! Love the idea of organizing the knitting, I think I need to do that as well ... very soon!

I knew you couldn't resist the sock temptation!

 
At 10:12 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You been tagged! Check my blog to find out what to do...

Your knitting is always a real pleasure to see, I look forward to see all the amazing things you will need this year.

 
At 4:26 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

How the hell does Bezzie always get first comment on every blog I read? She's fast!

You'll probably do really well with the guidelines you've set for yourself. I have faith in you. And that scarf in the previous entry? Very cool. I may have to try that myself. I need a scarf.

 
At 7:59 am, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Happy New Year, Rain! You're SO organised. I do have my yarn stash mostly in those airtight vacuum packs in the under bed drawers - same as you - but the patterns aren't exactly very organised so I'm in awe!

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger picperfic said...

you are so busy and your blog is a great read....I will be coming back again to have another read, this needs more than one viewing!

 
At 10:20 pm, Blogger Garngamen said...

Wow, you are really a popular gal, not only blogging about true stash dig in's, but I have seen you around on HPNYKnits, and 12 sweater KAL's. Curious, where do one send ideas about knitting designs? Any knitting magazings? Do they want the entire knitted garment, or a sketch and pattern ok? Not that Im seriously contemplating it, but playing with the thought.....Great blog anyhow!

 
At 1:31 am, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Great guidelines for 2007! I'm looking forward to seeing your upcoming FOs.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home