Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Cold Comfort

It's been a long time coming but after rescuing my yarn from those naughty pixies Viveka is finally finished. I fell in love with the pattern (Knitty - Fall 06) from the moment I saw it.

The knitty gritty - worked in Woolcraft Aran 75% acrylic/25% wool in cream with lime, brown and orange flecks. It took 600g (the leftovers from my Starsky) so cost £6 (about $12) to make. I used scraps of brown DK (doubled) for the contrast and worked 2 rows fewer than stated in the pattern. I worked it in the round to the neck decreasing at the sides as I went to give the body a bit of shape, I split for the neck and worked flat and then worked the back and fronts simultaneously. I added in an extra inch of length to the armscythe as it was a close fit and after a short break (bloody pixies) added the sleeves. Although I liked the crocheted neckline in the original pattern it was very low on me, especially given the extra length I added. It also felt a little unfinished so I picked up around the neck and added 2 inches of rib and cast off in the contrast yarn.

I really wanted to use stash yarn for this. I'm not as brave as Wendy and co in declaring no more yarn for 9 months, but I am trying to use up what I've got where possible. I love it, it's the perfect 'comfort' jumper - something you can pull on on a cold day and snuggle up in, or walk the dog in. It's not the neatest knitting I've ever done as I decided to experiment with combination knitting partway through, couldn't get the hang of it and switched back to English so it's a a bit untidy, but in the words of Catherine Tate - Am I bothered? I can see this becoming a firm favourite.

26 Comments:

At 12:52 am, Blogger Zonda said...

Nice work there! So glad the pixies released the yarn so you could finish! Looks great on you! :) Enjoy wearing it!

 
At 2:19 am, Blogger Bezzie said...

It looks great on you! And way to use up the stash!!

Hee! I'm glad I'm not the only one that tried to experiment for a few rows and gives up on it--except I'm the opposite trying to figure out English!

 
At 2:43 am, Blogger Stefaneener said...

You are such a thrifty knitting gal. I like the neckline and it makes you look streamlined. Nice!

 
At 2:48 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

very cosy indeed! I love how the trim matches your hair (at least on my monitor). the shaping is very successful too!
merry Xmas!

 
At 5:09 am, Blogger Pinkwool said...

Fab jumper, Rain! I'm a sucker for cream and brown colors. Glad the pixies returned that last ball of yarn so you could finish the sleeves. As long as you love your sweater, who cares if there are little imperfection in it. You are the only one who knows they are there and if someone gets up close enought to notice, well then they deserve to be swatted. Hehe.

 
At 9:58 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

Lovely jumper, looks very comfy and snuggly! I hope you have a wonderful Christmas and all the very best for the New Year.

 
At 12:21 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

Viveka looks great, glad the pixies decided to give the yarn back :-)

 
At 12:29 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Good on those pixies for bringing the yarn back! Looks marvellous and very snuggly warm. I like your extra additions to the pattern.

 
At 12:58 pm, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

ooooh, that looks so comfortable! Love the ribbing at the neck - the model looks like she's swimming in her sweater, but you've hit upon the perfect solution, clever girl!

 
At 4:15 pm, Blogger Charity said...

You look wonderful, Rain! :0) Happy Holidays to you and yours!

 
At 5:26 pm, Blogger artyfartykat said...

Looks a lovely snuggleumper!!
Merry Christmas!

 
At 8:37 pm, Blogger KnitYoga said...

Definitely a lovely snuggly jumper! You are so adventurous making all those modifications! Have a lovely Xmas, Rain, and all the best for 2007.

 
At 11:30 pm, Blogger Batty said...

That looks great on you! I love, love, love what the colors do for your complexion.

 
At 1:11 pm, Blogger T said...

I love it, it looks fab on you. I've never heard the word 'armscythe' before!

 
At 3:18 pm, Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Blimey - what a bargain - and doesn't look at all untidy from here! Way to go, Rain...

 
At 4:40 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Wow - it looks fab! And yay for using up stash, I can't believe it only cost £6 - it looks like it would have cost a LOT more!

 
At 10:51 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your modifications look terrific -- it definitely seems as though it will be a terrific to-go sweater/jumper.

I had been toying the idea of trying to knit exclusively from my stash for a while. The idea that others are doing it too gives me some encouragement, but on the other hand it makes the possibility quite a bit more REAL than I was initially willing to contemplate. Shudder.

 
At 2:16 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

Gorgeous! I'm going to try to use the stash yarns, but I'm sure I'll still buy too! :)

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger Samantha said...

It looks gorgeous! :)

RE: your previous post - I wish my finger would slip like that at amazon too. LOL

 
At 9:22 pm, Blogger KnitPastis said...

I should hire you to be my yarn shopper with the great bargins you get.LOL This looks so beautiful and comfey on you! So thrilled to finally get to see one knitted up.

 
At 3:15 am, Blogger Tusa said...

Looks lovely. Well done!

And no I can see that you are not bothered and that us what matters at the end of the day.

Thanks for the tip on changing table and baby bath.

 
At 10:45 pm, Blogger Knittypants said...

Looks great! Glad the pixies returned the yarn so you could finish. The fit looks so nice and cozy.

 
At 11:04 pm, Blogger Heather said...

Eee by gum!

Ta fer offrin t meet me, like..
wooduv bin smashin t meet yer un had a cupa tee un that
But ickle be reeet errlee!

Am off t me bed now fer me butee sleep afore settin off ut crack a dawwn!

mehbee next time?

ta-ra!
H xxxx
P.S. Nice jumper, lass ;o)
Ooh, un Appy Noo Yee-yerr!

 
At 9:49 am, Blogger Fizz14 said...

Love the jumper. Just goes to show that sometimes its cheaper to knit something than buy. Too often I price the recommended wool and realise it'll cost £40+ for a jumper so don't even bother. Maybe I should see whats lurking in my cupboard first!

 
At 4:53 pm, Blogger Craftydramaqueen said...

Lovely, snuggly jumper! Best wishes for 2007! Good luck with the Stash-busting. I'm trying...

 
At 1:17 am, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Stunning sweater. It looks fantastic on you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home