Frog in knots

Knitting, knots and frogging.

Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Glam rock

Or should I say Glampyre rocks. I've just finished my Simple Knitted Bodice and I love it. This was my March knit for the Sweater-a-Month KAL and despite being the third month of the year it's the first sweater (for me) that I've finished.

It's in Debbie Bliss Cotton Angora in Vintage Rose which I believe is now discontinued but still widely available on the likes of Ebay. It's a dream to knit with and doesn't feel like cotton at all. I describe it as like downy puppy fur running through your fingers as you knit (which makes me Cruella De Vil in the eyes of my friend Adam). On the downside though it sheds and pills like you wouldn't believe even after a few hours (under the arms and where I was carrying my bag) so because of that I'd be wary about using it again despite loving the feel. I finished it late last night and wove in the ends in the car on the way to the shopping centre this morning and put it on straight away so it's as yet unblocked.

This was my first top down pattern and I really liked that I got an early feel for the fit and could keep trying it on as I went along. I made very few alterations to the pattern. I added in an extra two rows after I'd joined it in the round so the purl ridges weren't right at the join and I dropped the lace panels on the sleeves to match the level on the body. I also changed the neck to a mitred V worked in the round rather than a wrapped across piece knitted flat. I also added a little extra length to the lower body. I love this pattern and could definitely see me making another but would perhaps change the whole neck so the V isn't so low. With this version I have to wear something underneath it and it has a tendency to drop so it's slung back over my shoulders. I also think I could get away with a smaller size as I thought it was a generous fit. All in all I really love it and will definitely be getting Stefanie Japel's Fitted Knits as I'm a huge fan of her designs.

37 Comments:

At 10:00 pm, Blogger cpurl17 said...

Rain, it looks simply fabulous on you!! Well done!

 
At 10:12 pm, Blogger Bezzie said...

It looks great on you--I love that color! I think that deep V neck is the only thing holding me back on that one.

 
At 10:19 pm, Blogger Seahorse said...

Looks fantastic!

Great to have a couple of tips re the neck and maybe the sleeves too :)

 
At 10:26 pm, Blogger Melissa said...

It looks great! I really like this pattern

 
At 10:36 pm, Blogger Zonda said...

It looks awesome on you! Love the color! Thanks for the insight on the Cotton Angora as I have some.

Enjoy it!

 
At 11:34 pm, Blogger Charity said...

Rain, you look amazing! I love the finished SKB, and it's good to hear the positive review of the DB Cotton Angora. I have some in my stash... :0)

 
At 1:50 am, Blogger Pinkwool said...

Fabulous sweater girlie! You look wonderful!!

PS-did you cut your hair??

 
At 2:47 am, Blogger Shelley L. MacKenzie said...

The sweater looks great, and it looks fabulous on you!

 
At 2:49 am, Blogger StarKnits said...

your sweater is beautiful! great job.

 
At 4:01 am, Blogger HPNY KNITS said...

ooh! nice. I like the way the pattern creates shaping. fits well!

 
At 5:34 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks beautiful on you and I think you're right -- you could easily carry off a smaller one. The color suits you -- here's to non-pilly yarns in future.
Stefaneener

 
At 7:39 am, Blogger Linda said...

Your sweater looks gorgeous. It is a lovely colour. I like the length you have done it and it looks good layered! xx

 
At 8:06 am, Blogger T said...

Rain, you look beautiful in your new jumper! (Love the hair too.)That one's definitely a winner.

 
At 9:38 am, Blogger artyfartykat said...

It looks beautiful, you really suit the style of SKB.
I love the way you've altered the neck and sleeves. It wouldn't be a Rain knit without your brilliant tweaks, would it? ;)

 
At 11:49 am, Blogger reluctantMANGO said...

You look beautiful in that sweater! Love the color, and I especially love the waist detail... very flattering!

 
At 12:10 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

looks great!

 
At 12:45 pm, Blogger knitfriendly said...

That looks great on you! Wonderful job Rain! I LOVE the Fitted Knits book. I have already cast on for the tube turtleneck and I have ordered yarn for a couple other patterns in the book. :)

 
At 1:18 pm, Blogger Artis-Anne said...

Oh it looks fabulous and I too love the colour; shame that yarn pills though.
I love the Fitted Knits book and 'Bluebell' is my next to do knit

 
At 2:40 pm, Blogger amanda said...

Whoo hoo! It does rock - LOVE the color. Fitted knits is a great knitter's reference for top downs. You can pretty much use it as a guide and make up your own stuff too!

 
At 4:52 pm, Blogger Donna said...

Wow, I love it. It has turned out a lot longer than mine though.

Great colour too. Well done for getting it finished so quick.

 
At 8:20 pm, Blogger Jerry said...

You did a fab job as usual! The yarn looks super soft and luxurious. It'd be nice if they could figure out a way to make it not pil like that.

The pattern looks wonderful too-looks like you're modeling it for the pattern ;-)

 
At 3:04 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It came out great! I hope you get lots of use out of it in spite of the yarn's pilling tendencies. Maybe it'll get it all out of its system, you can pick the pills off, and then it'll be fine after that?

I have heard more and more about the Fitted Knits book. I need to find a copy and take a look at it myself.

 
At 1:13 pm, Blogger Batty said...

I love the way it looks on you! The color is perfect, and it skims your curves just right. Even if the act of knitting weren't so much fun, this kind of fit alone would make it worth the effort. You can't get that kind of fit off the rack.

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger acrylik said...

Wow - your SKB certainly rocks! It looks absolutely fantastic. I love your alterations, especially to the neck line. Just marvellous.

 
At 7:31 pm, Blogger Kimberly said...

Oh that is sooo pretty. I love the color on you!!

 
At 10:11 pm, Blogger Sarah said...

It looks great on you!

What's next?

 
At 10:32 pm, Blogger erika said...

I really like it - it's so flattering! I have a Stefanie Japel knit ready for my next sweater-a-month KAL - which I am totally behind on, by the way - you're not the only one!

 
At 12:09 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It looks great on you! Awesome job.

 
At 10:27 am, Blogger Piglottie said...

It looks wonderful Rain! The colour is gorgeous and it really suits you. I keep hearing a lot of good reports about knitting top down so shall have to try it.

 
At 2:30 pm, Blogger Daisy said...

Oh wow, it looks fabulous!!

 
At 6:11 pm, Blogger Alisha said...

That looks fantastic!!!! Great job!!!

 
At 9:36 pm, Blogger dreamcatcher said...

SKB looks great, and thanks for tips on the changes you made :-)

 
At 3:46 pm, Blogger turtlegirl76 said...

I love how you lengthened it! It's fabulous!

 
At 2:37 am, Blogger allisonmariecat said...

Oh, it's fantastic! Sorry the yarn is pilly :( But it looks great on you, and I just love the color.

 
At 5:02 pm, Blogger Bonnie said...

That is a truly gorgeous Glampyre, the best I've seen!

 
At 2:21 am, Blogger TutleyMutley said...

Knitting top down is THE WAY TO GO - SKB looks great on you.
Have you had your hair cut?

 
At 8:33 pm, Blogger Penny said...

That looks lovely. It's a gorgeous colour.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home